Thread: 2005 325ci - Ignition Problem EWS

My Cars
    73' 2002tii 325iX

2005 325ci - Ignition Problem EWS

Hello everyone,

Hoping someone can help me narrow down a starting issue on a 2005 325ci. It will not start if you turn the key as normal, but I can reliably start it if I go slow with some finesse. It takes a few seconds with some wiggle jiggle but I can get it every time without much effort. Sometimes it will start if I just hold the key for a couple seconds mid-position. Sometimes it needs a slow back and forth to find its happy place. If it does not fire in about 5 seconds I back off and try again.

The only places it will not start is at the end of key travel and of course prior to the first little "click". Anywhere in between is fair game. I have not tried the spare key but will do so tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.

Believe I have three options what the issue is and I am leaning toward the ignition switch as it does not feel like anything is wrong mechanically. Seems each one is about $100 so its just a matter of narrowing down the culprit.

1. EWS Module / Antennae Ring: Honestly not sure here what would cause a failure, but it seems like this would be a flat out no start if it failed ? Maybe they just need a few seconds to be able to talk to each other / hug it out?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_1095

2. Key / Tumbler: It doesn't feel like the tumbler is wonky. Key goes in and out smooth and turns crisp and clean. I had an E36 with the 360 degree spin problem and there was quite a bit of warning before it actually failed. Crunchy, notchy, felt like it was going to strip feeling.

3. Ignition Switch: Thinking a bad contact in here could cause the problem. Could be fried where the key is in the full forward position from constant use. With the key back a ways from the stop it can find some clean copper ?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_0944

Any input is appreciated, as you can see I'm mostly making things up!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Or the key is faulty some body needs to check the key recognition system that will tell you a lot, key is probably the most common issue the antenna reads the chip in the key. I have not had to do a lot of ignition switches in e46's, more in e38-39's. I just replace my tumbler because I was having to wiggle and push on the key to get it to turn. I have very rarely had to replace any ews modules or antenna rings on any bmws

My Cars
    73' 2002tii 325iX
    To close this out it was the ignition switch. Car starts happy with both keys now.