Thread: Is there some kind of guard for the Z3 lower front end?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3

Is there some kind of guard for the Z3 lower front end?

Twice this year, I've pulled into a parking spot that had a curb or "headstone" in front that was higher than the front of Z3's nose and scraped the bottom, because I automatically lined myself up next to the cars parked on either side, and they're trucks or SUVs that pulled so far forward that they overhang the curb (while the Zed's much lower body doesn't clear it).

Assuming I eventually get a new fender - since it's a plastic part, it's not something that can be "buffed out" - is there any kind of fender guard that wouldn't be unsightly that could help here? Or just start getting really paranoid about parking in such spots?

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Start getting paranoid. Or back in to the spot.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Parking a Z3 / Z3M has a learning curve. It's got a long nose. I also scraped up the underside of my front bumper when I was early in ownership with the car. I've since had the nose repainted for that and a few other small reasons. Cheapest remedy is to just learn to park it better. After that one bad experience, I haven't done it since. Pain is the best teacher.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Your car is short. Park 2 feet from the curb. It will not stick out the back end. You say "fender", but I think you mean the spoiler on the bottom front. Many of them have minor scrapes. Since it's way down there, most wont' notice. If you are handy with bondo and paint, you could do it yourself, or it is easily fixed by a body shop.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I usually park so that my seat is parallel with the back seat of the car that I'm parking next to or basically make sure your seat is in the middle or back half of the parking space.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Indeed I meant the front lower spoiler

I was particularly miffed that this has happened to me more than once - it's the combo of long nose, a much lower stance than most cars these days, and relatively infrequent use (2-3 times a month, on average), kept me from "absorbing" the lesson the first time.

Ah well, it's not a show car, and the damage isn't that visible since it's down low, but it does hurt to see it scraped up like that.

My Cars
    z3
    If you line up a z3's rear wheels with most other cars rear wheels it should leave clearance in front and you wont be poking out the rear

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    You can also install a splitter to give it more aggressive appearance and help with keeping nose down at high speeds if you track the car. But that would be overkill and will not save you from scraping splitter instead or even ripping it off. So, best bet is to do what others already said. Leave plenty of room in the front when pulling in to the spot. The car is so short, you want to make sure it is visiable between two huge suvs. Or some ahole thinking it’s an empty spot will back into it. Just don’t be a douchebag and take two spots. Then you are asking for it.
    Good luck! Btw, I have same scratches from when I first got the car and sometimes when going over uneven surface, like steep driveway. You learn very quickly how to drive out at an angle, one wheel at a time to keep your nose away from pavement.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by robardin View Post
    ... is there any kind of fender guard that wouldn't be unsightly that could help here? ...
    This?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumpe....c100005.m1851
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5 M54
    When I purchased my 2001 Z3 there was some damage to the front spoiler and it was obvious it was from parking to close to curbs. It went further than that, though, as the splitter, or air diverter, behind the spoiler was damaged, mostly the mounting tabs, and the under body plastic panels, or covers, were also damaged. Most of the damage looked like the result of twisting of the parts.

I was able to repair everything including the spoiler, which took some bondo for the large gouges, and then spray paint to (almost) match. The end result was it looks exceptionally good and only the most discriminating observer will notice.

After all that work I back into every parking spot to be sure not to damage the front end!

240k miles.....20 yrs...I just stay paranoid.

I NEVER have any idea where my frt end is....lol..never

one great story.....

...out w/ wife slamming margaritas..... we head to another bar, and I pull into spot head first... I hear a horrible crunch/scraping.............horrified to see what i did, I get out and walk to nose of car........NOTHING.......NOTHING......I have NO idea what gods were watching me......or how that noise was made.......tru story.....!!!!!!
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 11-05-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    If you line up a z3's rear wheels with most other cars rear wheels it should leave clearance in front and you wont be poking out the rear
    grrrreat advice

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    It’s always safer to back in or pull through. That way you can see what’s in the packing spot and easier to see oncoming traffic when pulling out.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Porsche guys refer to their pre-1974 911s as long hoods. If they only knew.

I did install the mini splits from Neverdone on both cars. Those have saved me from bumper damage a couple times, and I think they look pretty cool.

Subtle but pretty effective.

20180721_104906.1.jpg
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i
    I grew up and did my first driving test in a 1985 Caprice. All my friends commented on how much hood was there. I finally realized what they meant when I bought a Z3.

As for backing in a space, I find I have better visibility backing out than pulling out. There is so much hood, that I think the butt of the car is shorter than the front and I can see oncoming cars sooner when backing out.

My Cars
    2002 z3 Roadster
    Someone should make a plastic part that snaps over the lower spoiler.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Just don't pull in so far .... the car is short.

If you mount something to "take the hit" on the bottom of the bumper then you will either just destroy that part or the force placed on that part will STILL break your bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    one great story.....

...out w/ wife slamming margaritas..... we head to another bar, and I pull into spot head first... I hear a horrible crunch/scraping.............horrified to see what i did, I get out and walk to nose of car........NOTHING.......NOTHING......I have NO idea what gods were watching me......or how that noise was made.......tru story.....!!!!!!

You got hammered and went and drove around - Awesome!!!
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

I wasnt hammered........cmon now!

I just wasnt at the top of my game.....