Thread: Water Spots!! 🤯

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI

Thumbs down Water Spots!! 🤯

Does anyone have a practical solution for waterspots?? In south Florida it rains almost daily and water is very hard. So far wetsanding and buffing are the only effective solutions! However it’s pretty labor intensive and there is a limited number of times anyone can wetsand and buff the vehicle before the clear coat is gone. I’ve noticed waxes and sealants facilitate the water beading and leave residue on the paint that partially dissolves in the water droplet before it re-precipitates and dries again unevenly with more solute concentration now at the perimeter of the water droplet (highest surface tension).

I watched a video where an auto detailer used wheel acid on the paint and suggested it’s most effective spray on,wipe off solution. Any one came across any other solutions?
    Last edited by tekoo; 11-04-2018 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    2003 e85 BMW Z4
    3D Auto Detailing Products Eraser Water Spot Remover 16 Oz - Gel. for Paint, Glass, Windows, and Mirrors - Made in USA | All Natural | No Harmful Chemicals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BFW0EO..._SH13Bb2AKVKMQ

That one works. Still needs a little elbow grease but I used to have a black mazdaspeed that I used it on in Hawaii. It’s similar to your acid but never caused damage to my paint etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Thank you. It seems like this product worked very well for majority but also ruined some vehicles especially glass and trim. I found another product on amazon with very good reviews. Do you have any experience?
    https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Bling-HS...BdL&ref=plSrch

My Cars
    2003 e85 BMW Z4
    No I don’t but I’m interested.

On the other product I would bet they let it sit instead of doing it twice for the stubborn stains.

But hot sauce looks like great reviews

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    There are a number of products out there to lessen the effect or eliminate water spots. Now all are cheap. I frequent this site : https://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
    Here you can learn a lot about the new finishes out there and products to make them look their best.
    One product I have been considering is : https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-s...y-sealant.html as it looks to work to keep spots at bay.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Thanks for the links. The black fire product you linked is a silica spray. I don’t believe it has any value especially without ceramic coat as it won’t stick to your car and if it does it will cause streaking and patchy spotting.

Also Silica dust causes scarring of the lungs when inhaled (aka silicosis) which is a serious condition that causes restrictive lung disease and eventually respiratory failure with or without restrictive cardiomyopathy (heart failure)!

If you use silica sprays please use appropriate painters grade mask!

I am not sure if many know this but silica is the major component of SAND which is used in making glass (ceramic coat is actually more of a glass coat). Therefore I’m not really sure silica sprays would offer much more than a ‘sand spray’.
    The detailing industry is full of questionable products that is backed up by strong advertisement, sponsored forum discussions and YouTube videos (with undisclosed conflict of interest) so be careful where you spend your money!
    Last edited by tekoo; 11-12-2018 at 11:51 AM.

My Cars
    2003 e85 BMW Z4
    I tried a new product for me. It’s a leather protect called 303. Seems to last much longer than armor all

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Yes 303 has very good reviews. People swear by it for the Z4 and Porsche as a soft top water repellent. Also for vinyl trim protection from sun damage.

My Cars
    2003 e85 BMW Z4
    I’m impressed by it thus far

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI

My Cars
    2003 e85 BMW Z4
    Have you tried it. I pulled my mirrors off the Z4 this morning. Gotta get some lava and try with 99%

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    I have not tried the lava method.
    If you have the auto dimming mirrors I strongly advice against using any chemicals or degreasers (including alcohol)! The plastic frame surrounding the mirror glass becomes brittle and eventually cracks with heat and sun exposure leading to leakage of the liquid material that provides the auto-dimming property! Replacing the side mirror glass costs over $300 per side! I am pretty sure alcohol would facilitate the dryness and brittleness of the little plastic frame!

My Cars
    2003 e85 BMW Z4
    Already replaced with cheap heater only ones that work fine. Figured this gives me opportunity to work on them off the vehicle. Will consider how I plan to handle it though. Thanks for advice

My Cars
    2003 e85 BMW Z4

Water Spots!! 🤯

@Tekoo this works. Lava bar and diluted 99% alcohol down to 50% did nice job. I finished trim with the 303 protectant. Massive improvement.

Water spots came off and saved $600 in mirrors that I have deemed useless until now.

Last edited by JPele21; 12-06-2018 at 06:15 PM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Congratulations!