Thread: Touring tailgate replacement

My Cars
    BMW

Touring tailgate replacement

Having rust on my tailgate I have found a used replacement in the same color as mine with no rust. But how are the wiring connected? Is there any plug and play options or do I have to cut the wires and solder them back together?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You’ll have to remove the interior panel (aka door card) on both “tailgates.” Then, unplug all the connectors on the rusty tailgate. Next, install the new tailgate, run the wires and associated connectors into it and hook everything up. Be advised that the wires in the “elephant trunk” (the part of the wiring harness that runs between the body and the tailgate) tend to break over time. I recommend that once the rusty tailgate is off that you slide the elephant trunk rubber back and, at the very least, very least, inspect the wires. If you want to make sure you don’t have problems in the future, replace that section of each wire that bends when the tailgate is opened and closed. Buy some high quality multi-stranded wire and shrink tubing.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    You have to disconnect all of the connectors inside the tailgate and feed the harness out though the hole. Interior trim panels must be removed. There is an antenna system in the tailgate spoiler that was changed over the years so you will want to compare these parts to be sure they are the same and swap if needed. Not sure what year your car is or the donor. I don't remember if touring models had a rear lock cylinder but if they do, you will need to swap that too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk