Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car will not go into gear (M30 Manual)

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i

Car will not go into gear (M30 Manual)

Just wrapped everything back up, brand new e28 m5 clutch and pressure plate kit in, mated to a RHD lightweight flywheel. New throw out bearing, new pilot bearing, new silicon brass pilot pin, new shift fork, greased and installed with clutch alignment tool. Clutch facing correct direction, per notation on the disk itself. All new shift bushings, all linkage attached.

Car refuses to go into gear while on, like you are shifting into a wall. Off, the car shifts through all the gears just fine. I’ve looked up this problem before posting here, some people said it was a hydraulic problem,in some cases an instance of clutch fusing to flywheel, requiring some interesting methods to break it free. I’ll mention I didn’t disconnect the slave cylinder, simply unbolted it from the bell housing. Pedal feels firmer than I remember, but no spots of weird resistance, or falling to the floor. Goes up and down just fine, from what I can tell.

The only thing I did wrong, that I know of, are two things. #1 the new pivot pin I put in did not seat all the way flush, and although I didn’t measure, may be in position a bit longer than the original plastic pin. I would imagine this to have the opposite effect of the clutch not engaging, but thought I would mention it.
    #2 I accidentally started the car in gear, for the first start. Car lurched forward, and I managed to get it into neutral. Upon trying to shift it into reverse, is when I found out the car would not shift into any gear, at all.

Seems like I just have a hard time getting things to separate
    Last edited by theBMWbeast; 11-03-2018 at 01:13 PM.
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    e34 535i and 98 528i
    I had this happen where the fingers on the pressure plate broke off and got stuck causing the no shift problem.

Andy

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by south42 View Post
    I had this happen where the fingers on the pressure plate broke off and got stuck causing the no shift problem.
    Would the pressure plate be prone to break even brand new?
    O o

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    Just wrapped everything back up, brand new e28 m5 clutch and pressure plate kit in, mated to a RHD lightweight flywheel. New throw out bearing, new pilot bearing, new silicon brass pilot pin, new shift fork, greased and installed with clutch alignment tool. Clutch facing correct direction, per notation on the disk itself. All new shift bushings, all linkage attached.

Car refuses to go into gear while on, like you are shifting into a wall. Off, the car shifts through all the gears just fine
    . I’ve looked up this problem before posting here, some people said it was a hydraulic problem,in some cases an instance of clutch fusing to flywheel, requiring some interesting methods to break it free. I’ll mention I didn’t disconnect the slave cylinder, simply unbolted it from the bell housing. Pedal feels firmer than I remember, but no spots of weird resistance, or falling to the floor. Goes up and down just fine, from what I can tell.

The only thing I did wrong, that I know of, are two things. #1 the new pivot pin I put in did not seat all the way flush, and although I didn’t measure, may be in position a bit longer than the original plastic pin. I would imagine this to have the opposite effect of the clutch not engaging, but thought I would mention it.
    #2 I accidentally started the car in gear, for the first start. Car lurched forward, and I managed to get it into neutral. Upon trying to shift it into reverse, is when I found out the car would not shift into any gear, at all.

Seems like I just have a hard time getting things to separate
    Clutch isn't being actuated, bleed the clutch hydraulics.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Will do, thanks Ross
    O o

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Minimum slave piston travel is about .75", spec is .9". I have never seen .9" on mine. There is a simple procedure described in the TIS manual to verify travel. Might be something you should check before tearing anything apart.
    demet

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    I'll look into the slave cylinder itself too. Thanks demetk. Just suprised it would be a hydraulic problem, never had any issues before the new clutch kit...
    O o

My Cars
    '89 535i/5, '88 735i/5
    If you feel the pedal is firmer than before, doesn't that mean something is resisting the clutch fork's movement?

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
    If you feel the pedal is firmer than before, doesn't that mean something is resisting the clutch fork's movement?
    It’s definitely not soft and spongy, I’ll tell you that. However I have had this car down for a couple months at this point, so it could just be me going crazy. I would assume a firm pedal would mean that the slave is working and pushing the clutch fork, pushing the TOB, the pressure plate fingers, all that jazz. However I’m still going to try and bleed the system, and see if I can measure piston travel. My worry is maybe some how because I didn’t seat the new pivot pin all the way, the stock slave cylinder can’t extend to the length needed to engage the clutch, or something akin to that. I’m going out on a limb here, because everything else is pretty straight forward, and the car ran fine last time I messed with the clutch components.

Unless it’s some sort of surface corrosion between flywheel and clutch. I had the clutch assembly exposed to the elements for a day or two, before I got the tranny to slip back on. No closed garage to work in, unfortunely.
    O o

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Haven't gotten around to the bleeding and measuring of the slave cylinder yet, but I borrowed a borescope and had a look from the top of the bellhousing, where you can see some of the teeth of the flywheel through a hole. Jamed the camera in there, and from what I can see, the pressure plate is actuating, and it appears the clutch stays stationary. Idk if I can link video, if I figure it out I'll edit the post. Thoughts?
    O o

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Haven't gotten around to the bleeding and measuring of the slave cylinder yet, but I borrowed a borescope and had a look from the top of the bellhousing, where you can see some of the teeth of the flywheel through a hole. Jamed the camera in there, and from what I can see, the pressure plate is actuating, and it appears the clutch stays stationary. Idk if I can link video, if I figure it out I'll edit the post. Thoughts?

https://gfycat.com/VainSneakyHypacrosaurus
    O o

My Cars
    1997 Bmw 750 il
    I had this problem when i installed my RHD flywheel and new clutch what it ended up being was the bolts for the pressure plate were too long so the pressure plate wasn't disengaging the clutch properly. the bolts were bottoming out on the flywheel so the pressure plate wasn't mating to the flywheel properly

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdeth1 View Post
    I had this problem when i installed my RHD flywheel and new clutch what it ended up being was the bolts for the pressure plate were too long so the pressure plate wasn't disengaging the clutch properly. the bolts were bottoming out on the flywheel so the pressure plate wasn't mating to the flywheel properly
    Okay, this sounds interesting. Do you know what pressure plate bolts you used to remedy this problem? I reused the pressure plate bolts from my old dual mass clutch kit. Could you physically see the bolts weren't flush or something to that effect, because I want to say mine looked nice and tight.
    O o

My Cars
    1997 Bmw 750 il
    I just went to my local hardware place and got some shorter bolts. They were alittle bit shorter than the 16mm long ones that you probable have. The pressure plate wasn't flush with the flywheel.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Maybe not at all related to your problem, but the same happened to me last year: unable to get into gear while running, pedal felt normal. It happened right after a couple of very cold days; turned out to be the old master cylinder's seals imploded with the cold temperatures.

As I said, maybe not related but the exact symptoms, so that might support being a hydraulic problem. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by The Chauffeur; 11-07-2018 at 06:30 PM.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Its possible on install the pilot bearing got upset and seized into place causing the trans to always have input shaft speed. Ive only seen it happen once however.
    New Daily:
    2011 Audi A6 Avant 3.0T prestige. 1 of 368

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Fresh 72k mile engine with all new seals. True E34 Manual Trans Engine Harness. 6spd Transmission Swap, Getrag 420G. RHD LW Single Mass Flywheel. E39 M5 Clutch. E39 M5 Shifter. Factory Car Phone. Factory 6CD Changer. Factory Electric Sunshade. Not So Factory Factory Electric/Heated Rear Seats. E38 Heater Valves. E43 M5 calipers/brakes

Sold:
    1996 Oldsmobile Aurora; 194k miles but with a bad paint job and dented fender resulting in a payout to buy the 740i

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    https://ibb.co/hEmsFA

I think you might be right deth, first thing I could see.
    O o

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Capture.JPG

Please click on this note from FCP Euro about clutch installations. Could this be the cause?
    Last edited by Old525i; 11-11-2018 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    What is a “shipping plate”. I’ve replaced my unsprung dual mass clutch kit with a sprung clutch kit from an m5. Does this still apply?
    O o

My Cars
    1997 Bmw 750 il
    Yep thats what mine did! You want that flush then it should work

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    I went and got 13mm replacement bolts, because I measured the gap at 3mm. Any memory if those measurements sound about right to you?
    O o

My Cars
    1997 Bmw 750 il
    Yeah 13mm sounds about right let us know how it goes!

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    I wish I knew. I have never seen anything that gets removed once clutch and pressure plate are bolted down. Any clutch experts out there?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    What is a “shipping plate”. I’ve replaced my unsprung dual mass clutch kit with a sprung clutch kit from an m5. Does this still apply?
    "shipping plate" doesn't apply to our clutches.
    Do I understand correctly, you have a 3mm gap between the PP and the flywheel? Too long bolts could sure do that. I don't know correct length but just measure the depth of the hole and go with that. The PP thickness will keep you from bottoming. A specific size may be hard to source locally, not so important to be exact. Thread engagement of 1 1/2 times the bolt diameter is considered sufficient. So an M8 bolt should be in 12mm minimum

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Capture.JPG
    The shipping plate is that circular plate stuck in the middle of the pressure plate. It seems you remove it with a hex wrench, turning it CCW. I really don't know how center the clutch and bolt the pressure plate with that thing in the middle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast