Thread: 2013 X1 Auto Stop Start switching into park

My Cars
    2013 BMW X1

2013 X1 Auto Stop Start switching into park

My 2013 BMW X1 will occasionally switch to park after the auto stop start. At a stop signal, it shuts off, then restarts when I remove my foot from the brake. However, instead of resuming in Drive, it has switched to park. Does anyone else have this problem? What is the fix, other than shutting off the ASS?

My Cars
    '13 X1 sdrive28i
    Quote Originally Posted by swain4831 View Post
    My 2013 BMW X1 will occasionally switch to park after the auto stop start. At a stop signal, it shuts off, then restarts when I remove my foot from the brake. However, instead of resuming in Drive, it has switched to park. Does anyone else have this problem? What is the fix, other than shutting off the ASS?
    My 2013 X1 sdrive28i was doing this. Turned out that the battery was going bad. Replaced the battery and problem went away. Don't forget to register your new battery if you do replace it.

My Cars
    2016 X1 28i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ainterian View Post
    My 2013 X1 sdrive28i was doing this. Turned out that the battery was going bad. Replaced the battery and problem went away. Don't forget to register your new battery if you do replace it.
    I am wondering why you need to register when you replacing a new battery?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpat88 View Post
    I am wondering why you need to register when you replacing a new battery?
    'Register' is maybe an imperfect term. The car intelligently manages the battery based on size and age, it keeps track of lifetime # of charges / recharges etc. etc. so as to not over or under charge it. If you don't 'register' the new battery it will keep treating it like its your old worn out one (and if the new battery has a new spec / capacity it won't charge it optimally either).

Its annoying to DIY type owners and you'll find a lot of ignorant "stupid BMW / Audi / etc. just trying to prevent you from replacing your own battery and get more money for the dealers!!!!" rants which are far off base. I think the 'register' term doesn't help. 'Reset battery adaptations' or 'recalibrate' or whatever might make people less paranoid angry. 'Register' does make it sound like they are trying to track and control etc. but it is completely not that.

Although I will grant you, like a dozen other things in the cars, now that all the cars have menus and input buttons, far far more things should be user programmable on the dash without using special tools or anything. Its ridiculous that this stuff isn't easier to do. Although you know why that is also - too many dumbasses out there vs. fear of lawsuits. For sure some genius would try to set his 900 CCA battery to 5000 CCA in the hopes that it would make it charge more / last longer / etc.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)