Thread: 2000 BMW Z3 2.8 M52TU Random Multiple Misfire Cyl. 1 & 2, Camshaft codes, non-specfic

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8

2000 BMW Z3 2.8 M52TU Random Multiple Misfire Cyl. 1 & 2, Camshaft codes, non-specfic

At the end of July I bought a 2000 BMW Z3 2.8 m52tu automatic car from a local dealership that took it on trade. From the state of it I'd say they gave the poor fellow a pittance for it, and all indications that the motor had been decently maintained. The listing was for $2.5k, but after showing up to look at it I offered them $1.5k and they took it.

The gauge cluster wasn't working, the carpet was wet, the trunk was wet, lower grill was missing, and the trans let go when cornering. The engine would start fine, and take off like a bullet....for about a minute and a half. The motor started missing on multiple cylinders. A quick engine restart, and it was fine again for about another minute. I drove it home like this, and it was awful. No take off power at all without a restart, climbing hills was a bear unless I got a good run at it.

Upon arriving home, I immediately plugged in my scanner, and pulled codes for fuel trim, random multiple misfire, some generic camshaft position codes that were non-specific (Still not sure whether intake, or exhaust side). I'll run them again and post here.

The car as a whole needs a ton of stuff.

What I've done since:
    New Intake hoses to deal with the fuel trim issues, both had huge holes in them wrapped in Duct Tape.
    Rebuild Vanos seals.
    New Exhaust Cam reference plate (I broke it in half, Don't ask :-( )
    New Vanos Spline Shaft Screws (I broke those too, it was a bad day) Would recommend replacing anyway.
    New Exhaust Camshaft VANOS solenoid
    New Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor (I bought one by VEMO, says it's german made, thought I'd try it)
    New Valve Cover, and Spark plug Gaskets, New Valve cover screw gaskets.
    New Plugs NGK V-Power Copper
    Resealed the third brake light with new rubber washers. The light itself it toast, and is one of the LED models that are expensive.

What's still going on:
    Still getting a code about Camshaft Not reaching full position
    Still getting a code about fuel trim
    Still getting a code about misfire on cyl. 1 & 2
    Gauge cluster started working once I got the car somewhat dried out.
    Same symptoms on start. Fine from startup, but starts missing, and no power after running for a minute.
    Some codes are gone after the VANOS rebuild, but I haven't replaced the sensor or solenoid on the intake side yet.
    I also haven't ruled out coil packs or injectors yet.
    Seems I had a weird clicking noise while running that turned out to be the thermostatic fan hitting the VANOS Unit. Fan looks new, so it must be the wrong one for the car.

Searching for thoughts on this one. I will post the actual codes when get home and can scan it again.
    2000 BMW Z3.jpg

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    Sure sounds like a flood car.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    No, just messed up roof seals and a lot of rain recently. They weren't even actually bad, just poorly installed.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Swap the coils around and see if that changes whre the misfire codes are or source new coils and try those

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    I ordered the intake camshaft sensor from FCP Euro. Will hopefully fix the problem. If not then I'll try the coils. Probably going to replace them anyway, they have the production date of 05.2000 stamped on the top, and they all match so I imagine they're original. FCP only listed two sensors for my car, the BMW one, and one that simply says OEM manufacturer. Hopefully that means Siemens/Vdo, or Bosch, and not some cheap chinese garbage.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by JLyons85 View Post
    I ordered the intake camshaft sensor from FCP Euro. Will hopefully fix the problem. If not then I'll try the coils. Probably going to replace them anyway, they have the production date of 05.2000 stamped on the top, and they all match so I imagine they're original. FCP only listed two sensors for my car, the BMW one, and one that simply says OEM manufacturer. Hopefully that means Siemens/Vdo, or Bosch, and not some cheap chinese garbage.
    Chinese production is only as good or as bad as the specs the parts were mfg'd under - write sloppy specs and one gets sloppy parts; write tight specs, and one gets good parts... as such, both good parts and bad parts come out of China.

My Cars
    z3
    FCP does not sell China crap. They offer a lifetime warranty on all parts they sell and regularly prune unreliable parts out of their catalogue

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    FCP does not sell China crap. They offer a lifetime warranty on all parts they sell and regularly prune unreliable parts out of their catalogue
    I didn't really think they did, and that's the reason I was willing to take a chance on the unbranded one. My wife tells me it came today, so I'll likely install it and see how I fare this evening.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    No camshaft code after that, but now I'm still getting codes for misfires, and now an oxygen sensor code. I'm also still getting the fuel trim codes. I'll post the full computer readout later.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Trouble Code Report

ECU Code Type Status Description
    12 P0304 PowerTrain Pending Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
    12 P0150 PowerTrain Pending O2 Sensor Circuit
    12 P1188 PowerTrain Pending Manufacturer Defined
    12 P0306 PowerTrain Pending Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
    12 P0305 PowerTrain Pending Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
    12 P0302 PowerTrain Pending Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
    12 P0303 PowerTrain Pending Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
    12 P0301 PowerTrain Pending Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
    12 P1189 PowerTrain Pending Manufacturer Defined
    12 P0170 PowerTrain Pending Fuel Trim
    12 P0173 PowerTrain Pending Fuel Trim

Mode $01 - Powertrain Diagnostic Data

PID Description Value Units
    SAE 0x03 Fuel system 1 status 8
    SAE 0x03 Fuel system 2 status 8
    SAE 0x04 Calculated load value 13.73 %
    SAE 0x05 Engine coolant temperature 199.4 F
    SAE 0x06 Short term fuel % trim - Bank 1 0 %
    SAE 0x07 Long term fuel % trim - Bank 1 0 %
    SAE 0x08 Short term fuel % trim - Bank 2 0 %
    SAE 0x09 Long term fuel % trim - Bank 2 0 %
    SAE 0x0C Engine RPM 814 RPM
    SAE 0x0D Vehicle speed 0 MPH
    SAE 0x0E Ignition timing advance for #1 cylinder 4 deg
    SAE 0x0F Intake air temperature 91.4 F
    SAE 0x10 Mass air flow rate 0.6 lb/min
    SAE 0x11 Absolute throttle position 0 %
    SAE 0x12 Commanded secondary air status 4
    SAE 0x13 Location of oxygen sensors 51
    SAE 0x14 O2 voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1) 0.13 V
    SAE 0x14 Short term fuel trim (Bank 1, Sensor 1) 0 %
    SAE 0x15 O2 voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2) 0.42 V
    SAE 0x15 Short term fuel trim (Bank 1, Sensor 2) 99.22 %
    SAE 0x18 O2 voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 1) 0.04 V
    SAE 0x18 Short term fuel trim (Bank 2, Sensor 1) 0 %
    SAE 0x19 O2 voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2) 0.42 V
    SAE 0x19 Short term fuel trim (Bank 2, Sensor 2) 99.22 %
    SAE 0x1C OBD requirements to which vehicle or engine is certified 1
    Aux 0x00 Input voltage read by the scan tool 14.2 V

Mode $02 - Freeze Frame

A freeze frame was found but the vehicle has no stored trouble codes. This indicates that the freeze frame could contain out-of-date and inaccurate information.

0x03 Fuel system 1 status 1
    0x03 Fuel system 2 status 1
    0x04 Calculated load value 0 %
    0x05 Engine coolant temperature -40 F
    0x06 Short term fuel % trim - Bank 1 -50 %
    0x07 Long term fuel % trim - Bank 1 -50 %
    0x08 Short term fuel % trim - Bank 2 -50 %
    0x09 Long term fuel % trim - Bank 2 -50 %
    0x0C Engine RPM 0 RPM
    0x0D Vehicle speed 0 MPH

Mode $05 - Oxygen Sensors

Sensor Available
    Bank 1 - Sensor 1 Yes
    Bank 1 - Sensor 2 Yes
    Bank 1 - Sensor 3 No
    Bank 1 - Sensor 4 No
    Bank 2 - Sensor 1 Yes
    Bank 2 - Sensor 2 Yes
    Bank 2 - Sensor 3 No
    Bank 2 - Sensor 4 No

Sensor Description Value Minimum Maximum Units Result
    Bank 1 - Sensor 1 TID $01 - Rich to lean sensor threshold voltage (constant) 0.45 0 1.275 V Incomplete
    Bank 1 - Sensor 1 TID $02 - Lean to rich sensor threshold voltage (constant) 0.45 0 1.275 V Incomplete
    Bank 1 - Sensor 1 TID $03 - Low sensor voltage for switch time calculation(constant) 0 0 1.275 V Incomplete
    Bank 1 - Sensor 1 TID $04 - High sensor voltage for switch time calculation(constant) 0 0 1.275 V Incomplete
    Bank 1 - Sensor 1 TID $05 - Rich to lean sensor switch time (calculated) 0 0 0 sec Incomplete
    Bank 1 - Sensor 1 TID $06 - Lean to rich sensor switch time (calculated) 0 0 0 sec Incomplete
    Bank 1 - Sensor 1 TID $09 - Time between sensor transitions (calculated) 0 0 0 sec Incomplete
    Bank 2 - Sensor 1 TID $01 - Rich to lean sensor threshold voltage (constant) 0.45 0 1.275 V Incomplete
    Bank 2 - Sensor 1 TID $02 - Lean to rich sensor threshold voltage (constant) 0.45 0 1.275 V Incomplete
    Bank 2 - Sensor 1 TID $03 - Low sensor voltage for switch time calculation(constant) 0 0 1.275 V Incomplete
    Bank 2 - Sensor 1 TID $04 - High sensor voltage for switch time calculation(constant) 0 0 1.275 V Incomplete
    Bank 2 - Sensor 1 TID $05 - Rich to lean sensor switch time (calculated) 0 0 0 sec Incomplete
    Bank 2 - Sensor 1 TID $06 - Lean to rich sensor switch time (calculated) 0 0 0 sec Incomplete
    Bank 2 - Sensor 1 TID $09 - Time between sensor transitions (calculated) 0 0 0 sec Incomplete
    Hopefully that actually pasted in. I thought maybe an oil separator vacuum leak, but I'm not getting any too lean codes. Maybe it actually is the O2 sensor. Thoughts anyone.
    Last edited by JLyons85; 11-12-2018 at 11:42 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    You have a circuit problem on O2 sensor 1, bank 2; it reads 0.04VDC while the sensor 1, bank 1 reads 0.42VDC (within acceptable range for OBDII). You have fuel trim out-of-range detected on O2 sensor 1 on both banks. Fuel trim out-of-range can also be due to a vacuum leak.

First off, you need to check your wiring for O2 sensor 1, bank 2. You must use a digitial multimeter, as an analog meter can damage many sensitive electronics. You can compare the readings for it to those for sensor 1, bank 1. Mark the connectors so you know which ones go together, because they're not distinguishable via color of the wires or shape or anything like that. If you mix them up, you can unplug one and look for a code for an open circuit; the one with the code tells you which bank sensor that connector goes to. One pair of wires is for the heater circuit for the sensor; that circuit gets its own DTC, not P0150. You'll need to probe from the wires at the sensor's connector back to the connector on the DME, so you'll also need to look that up; I usually get the PDF from here: http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/ Usually it's also recommended that you disconnect the battery's negative terminal and make sure it can't touch the battery post by flexing back or anything.

You're going to be checking to see if you have high resistance on each wire. One is the power wire, the other is the signal return. The power wire can be tested with the DME still plugged in, the sensor unplugged, and the ignition on. You should see the same voltage at the connector as the voltage across your battery. If those are OK, you probably will want to test from the connector up to the sensor itself, and if that's fine, also connect the connector and test across the connector. If the connector has high resistance, it may simply need to be cleaned. If you have no issues with the power supply or resistance, it's probably a bad sensor.

Here's a guide via AutoZone for diagnosing an O2 sensor as well: https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/...&subtitle=test

I usually prefer not to have the engine running unless I really have to have it on for electrical testing. Gets too hot, lots of moving parts or surfaces that might burn me, that sort of thing.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Which sensor is that? The front three cylinders, or the back three cylinders.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    So after the O2 sensor on the rear three, that code is gone but I'm still getting these.

Trouble Code Report

ECU Code Type Status Description
    12 P0302 PowerTrain Pending Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
    12 P0303 PowerTrain Pending Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
    12 P1189 PowerTrain Pending Manufacturer Defined

Mode $01 - Powertrain Diagnostic Data

SAE 0x03 Fuel system 1 status 8
    SAE 0x03 Fuel system 2 status 8
    SAE 0x04 Calculated load value 14.51 %
    SAE 0x05 Engine coolant temperature 156.2 F
    SAE 0x06 Short term fuel % trim - Bank 1 0 %
    SAE 0x07 Long term fuel % trim - Bank 1 0 %
    SAE 0x08 Short term fuel % trim - Bank 2 0 %
    SAE 0x09 Long term fuel % trim - Bank 2 0 %
    SAE 0x0C Engine RPM 905 RPM
    SAE 0x0D Vehicle speed 0 MPH
    SAE 0x0E Ignition timing advance for #1 cylinder 5 deg
    SAE 0x0F Intake air temperature 57.2 F
    SAE 0x10 Mass air flow rate 0.71 lb/min
    SAE 0x11 Absolute throttle position 0 %
    SAE 0x12 Commanded secondary air status 4
    SAE 0x13 Location of oxygen sensors 51
    SAE 0x14 O2 voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1) 0.04 V
    SAE 0x14 Short term fuel trim (Bank 1, Sensor 1) 0 %
    SAE 0x15 O2 voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2) 0.42 V
    SAE 0x15 Short term fuel trim (Bank 1, Sensor 2) 99.22 %
    SAE 0x18 O2 voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 1) 0.04 V
    SAE 0x18 Short term fuel trim (Bank 2, Sensor 1) 0 %
    SAE 0x19 O2 voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2) 0.42 V
    SAE 0x19 Short term fuel trim (Bank 2, Sensor 2) 99.22 %
    SAE 0x1C OBD requirements to which vehicle or engine is certified 1
    Aux 0x00 Input voltage read by the scan tool 14.2 V

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    I found this wire underneath the exhaust manifold area, that looks like the insulation is missing, and the wire is corroded. Might be the issue but why is this little piece of wire so expensive. $48 and BOTH of my cars with m52tu motors need it for the same reason. 12421737755 Upon further investigation I believe the fuel trim codes might be PCV related. Bought the whole kit, and we'll see.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    The P/N says it is a ground cable so the missing insulation is not that important. A 15 inch battery cable from the parts stores will work. Just need to measure the gauge of the wire and the size of the lugs.
    Measure the wire cable diameter, not the insulation diameter.
    http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technica...an-Wire-Gauge/

Something like this could work, the 15 inch cable is around $10.
    https://www.batterycablesusa.com/00-...yABEgIhkvD_BwE
    Last edited by Adker; 02-01-2019 at 06:53 PM.

My Cars
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by JLyons85 View Post
    Which sensor is that? The front three cylinders, or the back three cylinders.
    Bank 1 are the three cylinders to the front, Bank 2 are the three cylinders to the firewall.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Adker View Post
    The P/N says it is a ground cable so the missing insulation is not that important. A 15 inch battery cable from the parts stores will work. Just need to measure the gauge of the wire and the size of the lugs.
    Measure the wire cable diameter, not the insulation diameter.
    http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technica...an-Wire-Gauge/

Something like this could work, the 15 inch cable is around $10.
    https://www.batterycablesusa.com/00-...yABEgIhkvD_BwE

This would work I think, but I only have this weekend to fix this. Supposedly we are getting a really bad storm this week. Not that I would have the Z out in that anyway. I have an X3 and a Dodge Ram for those conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

That's good. I replaced the one for the back three. That's in a really awkward spot on a z3. That code's gone. If the ground wire doesn't fix half my electrical issues I'll be surprised. The fuel trim is almost certainly pcv or intake manifold leaks, and both will be done this weekend. Failing all of that I'll replace those two coils, and see what that does, though I haven't ruled out the DME actually having internal issues.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    So I kept blowing the radio fuse, and pulled this out of the trunk. Anyone know if you can buy just the connecting board? The rest of the amp looks ok. Or does anyone have one they want to sell. Not trying to go for killer system, but I'd like to have SOME sound anyway. Also equally happy if someone has the wiring pinout and I'll go with an aftermarket amp and radio.

On another note, I believe I've narrowed the engine issues down to a combination of bad pcv lines and two bad coil packs. Stuff should be here Tuesday.

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Anyone have the wiring pinout for the amp connectors?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Update. Second hand HK amp fixed the radio though most of my speakers are blown from being wet most likely. Fixed all the codes except a few generic lean codes by replacing the MAF with the one out of my 528iT with the same motor. It was instant. It went from barely puttering along to press you against the back of your seat in an instant. Hope this helps someone else down the road. I suppose I have one of the best maintained m52tu motors out there now with everything on it being new. Once I install the ccv kit I guess it should be about perfect.

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Tapatalk