RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Cylinder Sleeves and head gasket

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325xi 2.5 liter

Cylinder Sleeves and head gasket

Hi everyone. I'm replacing my head gasket on my 05 325xi. I was checking my block for flatness and noticed my cylinder Sleeves are sticking up... Only in the middle where cylinder walls are the thinnest... These are uniform across the entire block. I'm going to try and post some pics... Pic#1 is where they are high. Pic#2 is flush with the block. My question is... Is this normal for my sleeves to be higher in middle for sealing the combustion chamber. Do I have a problem??¿? I'm not sure I can post the pics...

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yes, you have a problem. Your engine does not have sleeves. If it does, an idiot has been there, and you should just buy a used engine. They run $500-$1250. I don't fix head-gasket M54's anymore, it costs the customer 3 times as much as replacing them.

You can use a non Xi engine if you swap oil pans.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 10-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    OP, you need to post 10 or 15 valid posts before the software will allow you to post pictures. Did you overheat the engine? If you did, you need to figure out why the engine overheated and correct that problem before you overheat the “new” engine. There are a ton of used M54 engines out there. Make sure you buy one with a warranty.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Yes, you have a problem. Your engine does not have sleeves. If it does, an idiot has been there, and you should just buy a used engine. They run $500-$1250. I don't fix head-gasket M54's anymore, it costs the customer 3 times as much as replacing them.

You can use a non Xi engine if you swap oil pans.
    Ahem, cast iron cylinder liners sir.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    WOW ! Holy Dumbass!

Big Mike, you have my most sincere and contrite apologies. I've had dozens of these completely apart, and never seen a sleeve..

Ross, thank you for correcting me....I'd rather be a dumbass once, than repeatedly. Now, if I can just get my size 12 out of my mouth....

I'd still stay with the recommendation to replace the engine though. As many as I've had apart for a head gasket issue, the vast majority had warped the head, and pulled the threads out of the block. Yes, you can put Time-Serts in there, with an expensive fixture for aligning the drilling and tapping....but a replacement engine is going to be much cheaper and easier.-
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 11-02-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I agree buying a used, running, compression tested M54 engine (or one from a dismantler with a warranty) IS the easier / cheaper way to go, but its close to doing a headgasket depending on your machine shop costs. And even if you do replace the engine, consider putting the overheated engine on a stand and rebuilding it as a spare or for something to sell. While there are plenty of cheap M54's out there now, that wont last forever. M52TU's are already becoming scarce in some areas. I cringe every time I hear an overheated M54 engine is tossed in the scrap heap.

I rent the time-sert tools (kit 1090 with the jig) as well as the M54 timing tools. PM if interest