Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creader VII?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i

Creader VII?

I usually watch Scotty Kilmer for entertainment purposes only as most of what he covers seems heavily weighted to his own opinions (doesn't like German cars...or Korean cars...or Mexican cars... or re-badged Toyotas...etc) but last night I caught him showing a code reader by Creader that does transmission codes, ABS codes, as well as the expected OBDII codes. He showed it interrogating sensors real time as well. It was the Creader VII and the price isn't too bad considering what it does. I have two questions...
    1) Is there a better solution that works with early 2000's e39's?
    2) As I was shopping for prices one site mentioned these being meant for newer than 2006 vehicles. Does anyone have any experience with one of these on older stuff.
    I'm interested in using this on my 2001 540i, it'll be a while before I have anything as new as a 2006 in my driveway!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Buy a BMW Scanner 1.4.0 for ease of use or an INPA Cable for more coding / NCSExpert type of stuff.
    2003 530i M Sport [Black Sapphire Metallic & Sand Interior]

IMG_1075 by Alex Wilson Photography, on Flickr

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Creader is an OBD-II scan tool. It covers all cars 1996+, except for the 5-series ('97+).

It displays only P-codes. If you wish to read BMW codes, you must use one of the laptop-based tools.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    z3
    INPA is cheaper and more powerful but may be a bit overkill for a casual garage mechanic

Creators are good, easy to use basic diagnostic tools

There are also Foxwell units available which are a bit better with the BMW stuff I think, ECS rebrands their "schwaben" by Foxwell and its gotten good feedback

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    I just bought a Creator C310+ on the recommendation of someone on here in another thread. I used it for the first time tonight. So far I am very impressed. I think it's pretty good value for money at $58.

https://www.amazon.com/CREATOR-V7-9-...+c310%2B&psc=1

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Oh, no! Another scan tool thread! Happy Hallowe'en!

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Creators are good, easy to use basic diagnostic tools

There are also Foxwell units available which are a bit better with the BMW stuff I think, ECS rebrands their "schwaben" by Foxwell and its gotten good feedback
    This. That Creader thing is purely generic and therefore will leave a TON on the table vs something that can "speak proper BMW" for stuff like live data and output activation... as well the more obscure modules in the car - the best a generic reader is gonna do is engine/trans/airbags/ABS... Leaving a bunch of stuff off the table. It will read live data as specified in the OBD-II standard but not stuff that's above and beyond that (great example - troubleshooting a no-crank or no-start with the EWS module... generic an't gonna do poop to help you there, INPA or a good hardware scanner will be hugely heplpful)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Oh, no! Another scan tool thread! Happy Hallowe'en!
    LOL. Right...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    328i
    The “creader” appears to be a generic scanner...I don’t know that it’ll work with the bmw for chassis/body codes because they’re isolated systems that don’t all port through the ObDII connector for all models.

Personally I use a Creator C501 with a 20 pin adapter for my ‘97 540i. It will pull generic P codes like any obdii tool but also will pull BMW codes for engine control and chassis/body systems. It will also provide live stream data feeds and graphing. It’s been a fantastic tool that cost about half what the “Creader” tool cost.

The C301 will do the same job for even less money but is BMW specific. I like the C501 because it also serves as a generic OBDII tool for other makes.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    I am liking the C310 as well, details about it vs. other cheap scan tools here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxuWEJx1GiE

My Cars
    2000 530i
    Can anyone help me. I connected a brand new unused C310+ BMW scanner to my laptop to update the scanner. When I first connected plugged the scanner in it lit up. When I pushed the update button the scanner turned off and seems to be broken or something ?
    Can anyone help me plse

My Cars
    328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Markcoll View Post
    Can anyone help me. I connected a brand new unused C310+ BMW scanner to my laptop to update the scanner. When I first connected plugged the scanner in it lit up. When I pushed the update button the scanner turned off and seems to be broken or something ?
    Can anyone help me plse
    What happens when you plug it into the car? Did you get instructions that told you to plug it into your computer? My 501 came ready to roll.

My Cars
    2000 530i
    Nothing happens. It just stays off

- - - Updated - - -

I followed instructions exactly as the manual stated

My Cars
    328i
    I would suggest contacting the vendor. Tell them it’s broken, send a new one.

Maybe someone with the 310 can give you a better answer, I can only speak for the C501 which was ready to go out of the package.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    both the 310 and 510 come ready to use out of the box. the 310 comes with an cd and cable to connect to computer USB for updates, the 510 ive no experience with. from what was said, it looks as if he hooked it up to update it and it croaked. as stated previously, if get ahold of the vendor and get em to send you another.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Sounds like the firmware flash crashed and bricked it. Sometimes anti-virus software on the computer interferes with stuff like that? I assume you've unplugged it from the computer and plugged back in etc. and tried the 'update' process again etc?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1998 740iL, 1997 528i
    I've done a moderate amount of research on this scanning issue and decided to try the Foxwell NT510. Completely worthless on my 97 528i. Sent it back. Read some more about a bunch of other scan tools. Every scan tool I've researched seems to get about 20% negative reviews.....

My feeling at this point is that I should pick up a cheap used laptop and get the INPA software, and quit wasting my time on code readers that don't function.

I'd appreciate your input, particularly with regard to the best operating system to run the INPA software. Thanks in advance.

PS: I also have a 740iL that never seems to need anything fixed except the suspension....so far.

My Cars
    328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Larry View Post
    I've done a moderate amount of research on this scanning issue and decided to try the Foxwell NT510. Completely worthless on my 97 528i. Sent it back. Read some more about a bunch of other scan tools. Every scan tool I've researched seems to get about 20% negative reviews.....

My feeling at this point is that I should pick up a cheap used laptop and get the INPA software, and quit wasting my time on code readers that don't function.

I'd appreciate your input, particularly with regard to the best operating system to run the INPA software. Thanks in advance.

PS: I also have a 740iL that never seems to need anything fixed except the suspension....so far.
    You didn't give us anything to work with, here. I have an old Innova 3100C and a Creator C501 and they both do everything they were intended to do. What are you trying to do that the Foxwell tool wouldn't do? If you're using these tools outside the scope of their ability then you're going to experience the same issues with INPA, but with greater potential repercussions.

My Cars
    1998 740iL, 1997 528i
    Sorry, the Foxwell tool is such a POS I didn't realize I needed to add more detail. At this point, I'm trying to troubleshoot an airbag warning light, and the brake pad light. Foxwell tool would not show me anything, would not read the vin, and misidentified the manually entered vin as a diesel, and any attempt to communicate with the various modules gave an error.

My Cars
    328i
    Was it plugged into the car via the OBDII port or the 20-pin round port under the hood? None of the scanners will get any more than very basic and limited information from the OBDII port on pre-facelift cars...no communication with body or chassis modules at all.

While it’s not my own preference, the NT510 is one of the rather well liked tools.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    …..

1. Windows-XP or Windows-7 (32 bits) are best operating systems for the INPA software. So find or buy an old Windows laptop.
    2. Get the INPA cable with the switch that can accommodate the older (pre 2003 ?) and newer BMW models. The so-called K+DCAN cable. It costs about $30 on Ebay.
    3. Download, configure and install the INPA BMW software tools. Run setup from: EasyBMWTools(Mike***39;s).zip
    Last edited by Chedley; 12-04-2018 at 04:27 AM. Reason: K+DCAN INPA cable

My Cars
    1998 740iL, 1997 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    Was it plugged into the car via the OBDII port or the 20-pin round port under the hood? None of the scanners will get any more than very basic and limited information from the OBDII port on pre-facelift cars...no communication with body or chassis modules at all.

While it’s not my own preference, the NT510 is one of the rather well liked tools.
    Thank you for the input. I specifically purchased the tool for BMW from Foxwell. Nowhere in the advertising or on the website does Foxwell indicate that the tool must use the 20 pin port under the hood. An adapter or cable was not included for the 20 pin port even though I specified the tool was for BMW. The manual is generic and nowhere does it indicate that the 20 point port must be used. By accident, I ran into this information AFTER I had tried the tool and returned it. I have no doubt you're correct, but at some point the manufacturer needs to at least tell people that their product requires additional hardware to run. Thank you for your input, and I hope this helps others who buy that tool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    1. Windows-XP or Windows-7 (32 bits) are best operating systems for the INPA software. So find or buy an old Windows laptop.
    2. Get the INPA cable with the switch that can accommodate the older (pre 2003 ?) and newer BMW models. The so-called K+DCAN cable. It costs about $30 on Ebay.
    3. Download, configure and install the INPA BMW software tools. Run setup from: EasyBMWTools(Mike***39;s).zip
    Thank you very much. This is what I would prefer to do so that I have full capability for both cars and for any additional purchases. I've had the 740iL for about 4 years, and the 528i for 6 months. I like them both, and although I'm an experienced mechanic, I have no experience with BMW, so it's quite a learning curve. I appreciate the help I've gotten on this forum. Thanks!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    You didn't give us anything to work with, here. I have an old Innova 3100C and a Creator C501 and they both do everything they were intended to do. What are you trying to do that the Foxwell tool wouldn't do? If you're using these tools outside the scope of their ability then you're going to experience the same issues with INPA, but with greater potential repercussions.

^^^ All of what Mak said. I was busy when the first post came in here, but meant to get back here and post up roughly exactly the same thing... a "uhm huh wut? what didn't work!?" because the "POS DIDN"T WORK AT ALL" seemed very unusual.

Thank you for the input. I specifically purchased the tool for BMW from Foxwell. Nowhere in the advertising or on the website does Foxwell indicate that the tool must use the 20 pin port under the hood.
    Well. OK. I guess this is a semi-fair point that Foxwell might mention the issues for older cars if there's zero mention in the documentation...

The thing for them is that the core unit is a 'brandless' unit really and by buying the "BMW version" you're just getting it pre-loaded w/ the BMW software inside, so... that's the excuse from their side for why the generic manual doesn't say anything about the specifics, because there are 510's for VW/Audi and Fiat and whatever else out there and most of those have no special diagnostic plug requirements... (tho an old VW/Audi vehicle from the mid-90's will ALSO have a proprietary cable interface since those cars didn't come with OBD ports... it wasn't until the mid-late '90's that the OBD standard was implemented in across car brands...)

But sure... yes would be better if when they sell the preloaded BMW one - or if say you own the "GM version" and buy the BMW software pack - that it included some documentation of "hey if you own a pre-2000... you have to do A or B to get to non-drivetrain modules..."

their product requires additional hardware to run.
    But really, anybody and everybody who does anything at all diagnostically with this era BMW cars knows that there's 2 diagnostic connectors and you need to know about that. It is documented all over the forums everywhere. And this is really a 'narrow window' thing, since from ~2000 on the cars indeed have only one OBD as its all centralized as with any other car, so... most of their customers indeed don't need the adapter and wouldn't have a place to plug it in anyway... And any other device seller probably has the same issue... a narrow segment of customers who need to know they have 2 diag sockets and not just the one...

Now - while its totally fair that we are all born not knowing that - it is just one of those things you have to learn if you want to use diagnostics on BMW's. Sorry man. You weren't born knowing that you need to use a crossing pattern on cylinder head bolts with a torque wrench, and it doesn't say that in the owners manual either, but that's what ya gotta learn is necessary.

And - I'm not sure I call that "additional hardware", and even so, that's still not strictly really true.

As above - for the vast majority of BMW's this units are used on (aka fewer and fewer pre-2000 cars floatin' around anymore...), they in fact probably don't need the extra cable adapter. And that's all it is, is a cable adapter.

All it takes is the princely sum of $4.5 to buy one on eBay from China.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/20Pin-to-16...Ik:rk:123:pf:0

Plus, what any sensible person does who owns one of those cars is, just simply bridge 2 pins on the "pacman" connector so that in fact after that, all modules appear on both sockets, so, indeed after that simple mod your OBD connector works for everything. If you totally hackjob it with a strand of stripped off housewire you can bridge those pins in about 3 minutes actually and the OBD will be speakin happily to everybody.

So... again... totally fair for you to be caught offguard since one isn't born with the info about the diag connector under the hood. But its not that big a travesty of justice.

If your take was "DOH I'm so annoyed I didn't realize this until after the fact!" then I'd be with you, but to rant about how crappy Foxwell is... well... thats a little entitled snowflake in my book. Sometimes you gotta learn stuff when you work on cars, and, sometimes you miss something. I do dumb things all the time until I learn not to be as dumb.

BTW - a laptop and INPA is going to have EXACTLY the same issue - you need to either buy the adapter, or, do the pin-bridge.

Given your response to the Foxwell experience, I can only imagine how enraged you'll be at some of the weird tricks and dances you have to do sometimes with the old" BMW Software Tools" (have fun assigning your COM port to match the OBD.INI file... "Godddamn thing doesn't do crapp... A-holes why didn't they tell me in the manual you had to match the COM port to the INI settting!!! I just sent it back!!!!" ;^) )

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I would prefer to do so that I have full capability for both cars
    As above. Your E38 has exactly the same issues w/ the pacman port. The Foxwell would have worked perfectly fine with it as well I'm sure.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    ……
    BTW - a laptop and INPA is going to have EXACTLY the same issue - you need to either buy the adapter, or, do the pin-bridge.

Given your response to the Foxwell experience, I can only imagine how enraged you'll be at some of the weird tricks and dances you have to do sometimes with the old" BMW Software Tools" (have fun assigning your COM port to match the OBD.INI file... "Godddamn thing doesn't do crapp... A-holes why didn't they tell me in the manual you had to match the COM port to the INI settting!!! I just sent it back!!!!" ;^) )
    …..
    About INPA :
    So, the link I posted above automatically installs and configures the COM port to the OBD.INI file. It is really a 1-click configure and install, on a Windows laptop with the INPA cable connected to a free USB port.

IMHO -in my humble opinion-, the main issue with INPA is not its configuration or installation. It is a software that is user unfriendly, written in German, by engineers and for engineers, originally used to configure and test the BMW cars at the factory before shipment.

You really can hurt your car with INPA, if you do not know what you are doing...
    There has been numerous cases of BMW cars completely disabled, because some one used INPA and hit the wrong key, or used the wrong module, and thus erased ALL the parameters in the firmware of the car.... LOL..:-)

That being said, I do not know of any other tool than INPA that can communicate, diagnose and code (read/write and erase) pameters of ALL modules in the BMW car.
    Last edited by Chedley; 12-04-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: All modules

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah I was being a bit obnoxious, imma fan of Mikes bundle. But short of that or one of the other aftermarket installers it can be good & fussy to setup. And if ones install gets messed up (and plugging in multiple cables means they'll be setup as various COM ports) it still can be.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1998 740iL, 1997 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    About INPA :
    So, the link I posted above automatically installs and configures the COM port to the OBD.INI file. It is really a 1-click configure and install, on a Windows laptop with the INPA cable connected to a free USB port.

IMHO -in my humble opinion-, the main issue with INPA is not its configuration or installation. It is a software that is user unfriendly, written in German, by engineers and for engineers, originally used to configure and test the BMW cars at the factory before shipment.

You really can hurt your car with INPA, if you do not know what you are doing...
    There has been numerous cases of BMW cars completely disabled, because some one used INPA and hit the wrong key, or used the wrong module, and thus erased ALL the parameters in the firmware of the car.... LOL..:-)

That being said, I do not know of any other tool than INPA that can communicate, diagnose and code (read/write and erase) pameters of ALL modules in the BMW car.
    Thanks for the help and warning. I'll keep that in mind. I haven't yet decided which route to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast