Thread: SCCA Solo Class Compliance question

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4

SCCA Solo Class Compliance question

Car: 1997 M3 (OBD2)
    Current Class: STR

Question: Can I install Shorty Headers and stay in Street Touring class?

As per the 2018 rulebook, page 75, section D:
    Exhaust manifolds, headers, downpipes, and associated EGR tubes may be replaced with alternate units.
    My issue is that installing these headers will eliminate the Secondary Air Pump from being used, since there is not injection port on the headers.

Section C of the same page states:
    Emissions or engine management components in the air intake system, such as a PCV valve or mass airflow sensor, may not be removed, modified, or replaced, and must retain their original function along the flow path.
    I believe the Secondary air pump is technically an exhaust header component. It simply connects to the air intake system to pull fresh air from it. Personally, I don't believe this makes it part of the air intake system. Here's my conundrum... Installing the headers renders the SAP useless (which I can have tuned/coded out to eliminate the Check Engine light). Is this ok to do within the ST class or is this considered modifying an emissions component? The rules don't state anything about not being able modify emissions equipment in the exhaust path, but then again if something isn't mentioned it's generally accepted as against the rules for the class in question.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    The way I worked around this was installing shorty headers that keep the secondary air pump intact. Older BMP and Turner shorties had the holes for the SAP. I found a set used on the forums, worth the money in my opinion.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    I'd love to find a set, but it's almost impossible nowadays.

I think I SHOULD be fine seeing as the rules state I can change the exhaust manifolds. Would just like to be sure of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebit8 View Post
    The way I worked around this was installing shorty headers that keep the secondary air pump intact. Older BMP and Turner shorties had the holes for the SAP. I found a set used on the forums, worth the money in my opinion.
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    but then again if something isn't mentioned it's generally accepted as against the rules for the class in question.
    I think you answered your own question here. But if you want to be 100% sure, ask SCCA: https://www.crbscca.com/

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    $300 to get a rule clarification?! Wtf lol
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
    I think you answered your own question here. But if you want to be 100% sure, ask SCCA: https://www.crbscca.com/

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    $300 to get a rule clarification?! Wtf lol

Oops, that looks like it's for road racing. Last time I either submitted a request/input or asked a question.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    I'll try that. Thanks. In the meantime I have till about March of next year to find OBD2 shorties.
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
    Oops, that looks like it's for road racing. Last time I either submitted a request/input or asked a question.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The rule you quoted is pretty explicit.
    "Exhaust manifolds, headers, downpipes, and associated EGR tubes may be replaced with alternate units. "

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    The rule you quoted is pretty explicit.
    "Exhaust manifolds, headers, downpipes, and associated EGR tubes may be replaced with alternate units. "
    Would an SAP be considered EGR? It doesn't exactly recirculate exhaust gases, but it is​ associated I guess.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    My interpretation is that It could not be removed. Asking for clarification might be good. The headers don't come up often but they do come up and I kept a look out for several months to snag a set.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Fair enough, EGR and SAP are two different aspects of emissions controls. Different enough, and the language is specific enough, you may (unlikely) get a favorable answer from SCCA. But....my guess is, that rule is there to discourage removal of any emissions systems. And if you get a yes, you can remove it, the rule will change next year. lol.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Fair enough, EGR and SAP are two different aspects of emissions controls. Different enough, and the language is specific enough, you may (unlikely) get a favorable answer from SCCA. But....my guess is, that rule is there to discourage removal of any emissions systems. And if you get a yes, you can remove it, the rule will change next year. lol.
    lol I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. It's definitely interesting to think about considering ECU tuning is ok, which can remove coding for emissions. Kind of contradictory that you can't mod/remove it physically but disabling electronically is ok. I guess they don't want ST becoming a "weight loss" class like SP and above are.

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe, 05 LGT
    TBH I didn't see any noticeable gains from the Turner shorties I had stumbled upon on ebay.

I would spend money on getting as much weight out of the car as possible and keeping good rubber on the car.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    TBH I didn't see any noticeable gains from the Turner shorties I had stumbled upon on ebay.

I would spend money on getting as much weight out of the car as possible and keeping good rubber on the car.
    I'm not doing it for performance as much as I am for liking the sound really. Barely a noticeable difference but something I liked having in the past with a previous E36 I had. As for weight, I'm hoping to get rid of the vaders and get something lighter like Sparco or Recaro seats and perhaps a lighter battery.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Great news, me! Someone reached out to me with a set of OBD2 Turner shorties for sale. Done and done. Screw you, vague SCCA rules!

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future. The SCCA board reviewed my question and included a resolution in February of 2019's Fast Track, seen here: https://www.scca.com/downloads/43728...cross/download

Street Touring Category
    #25584 Modification Allowance

Section 14.10.D allows for replacement of the factory exhaust manifold with alternate units. There is no allowance to remove the Secondary Air Pump (SAP) as part of the ST category rule set. However, the SAP may be disconnected from the exhaust manifold while utilizing the allowance for alternate exhaust manifolds. It may be possible to code out any SAP related CELs (Check Engine Lights) utilizing the ECU allowances in 14.10.F.
    In Layman's Terms: Because we're allowed to change our exhaust manifolds in Street Touring, but not remove our Secondary Air Pumps, we can simply leave the SAP's disconnected from the manifolds. Taking care of the Check Engine light associated with doing so is up to us via coding or simulating.