Thread: N20 chain tensioners on 528ix

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i

N20 chain tensioners on 528ix

I believe this is my first post on this forum. I started my BMW education years ago with a 95 318is. I believe I have saved at least 8 E36 and E46 from the autowrecker.
    Here is my latest. A friend posted for a friend about a 528ix with blown engine. The guy could not sell it. Apparently, people were smarter than me.
    I was looking for a project so here we are.
    This thread will be about me fixing the engine. I could not find anything about heavy duty repair of broken tensioners.
    My latest project, 2013 BMW 528ix with engine "issues". Does the term "a bridge too far" ring any bells? Remind me to NEVER work on new cars again.
    This one is all wheel drive. I had to pull both axles. Cleverly, BMW makes it nearly impossible without taking every bolt out of the front suspension. Then I got to take the differential out. It is bolted to the oil pan. BMW instructions are to hold engine and lower the entire subframe. NOT happening. I removed left motor mount, jacked engine up and slid the dif out. WIN!!
    Now I could take the oil pan off, foolish me. A bracket to hold the trans cooling lines was in the way. I finally cut it off, then I was able to rotate the oil pan out. Again, BMW thoughtfully made the oil pan have a couple to half moon extensions to the trans which meant rotating the oil pan was the only way to remove it.
    I really do not think they ever think anyone will ever have to work on these engines.
    The E46 cars were so simple by comparison.
    Here are the remains of the timing chain tensioners. Now I have to work from the top. Good news is the oil was fine, I had it analyzed. The suction screen was plugged with plastic bits and sludge. The guy had gotten a low oil pressure light and pulled over as engine stopped. It remains to be seen if the chain skipped and bent the exhaust valves. The tensioners sure were smashed, most in the bottom of the pan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 525it
    What a f!!ked updesign, BMW is really making crap engines these days

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    I had forgotten I had started this thread. Shortly after I pulled the engine, I got a great deal on a 2016 Cadillac ATSV that had a small engine area fire. I had to splice about a 100 wires and replace a bunch of front sheet metal etc. Got it running last October. So then I got back to the BMW.
    I tore the engine completely down. The original head had the intake cam bearings all scored beyond use. I bought another "good" head. That head had both intake and exhaust cam bearings slightly scored and cams were worse than my original cams. I was able to polish the scoring out of the cam bearings and polish my original cams so I reused those. I bought new rings from Eastern Europe and they were name brand rings at a very good price. I eventually put the engine together. Looking at TIS they had a very expensive device for the springs for the variable cmshaft control. I used a 1/4 extension and a couple open end wrenches. Worked fine. I can't find the picture of it unfortunately. Here are pictures of intake cam bearings.
    Attached Images Attached Images