Thread: 2003 BMW 330CI cranks but no start no codes

My Cars
    2003 bmw 330ci

2003 BMW 330CI cranks but no start no codes

I returned from vacation to find that my bimmer would not start. Used OBD to scan for codes and there were none. The battery is strong and the engine turns over good but doesn't even attempt to start. Can anyone suggest a cure? I am running out of things to check before calling a tow and handing my checkbook to the BMW dealer. It is an automatic and has 180,000 miles and has been properly maintained and ran great prior to this. Here is what I have done so far:
    1. Checked gas level, a little over 1/4 full.
    2. Checked fuses (both fuel pump and ignition) and fuel pump relay.
    3. Sprayed starting fluid in intake.
    4. Unplugged MAF.
    5. Put the tranny in neutral.
    6. Confirmed I had spark.
    7. Replaced fuel pump.
    8. Replaced fuel filter/regulator.
    9. Confirmed I had fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
    10. Replaced crank position sensor.
    11. Checked for vacuum leaks.
    12. Cam position sensor has been ordered and I will install when it arrives.

Nothing I have tried so far has resulted in even an attempt at stumbling/starting and no codes are being thrown. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

My Cars
    2003 328i
    There is a fuse for the crank position sensor. If your old sensor fails by shorting internally it will blow this fuse and the car will not start. Did you check all of the fuses in the ebox? There are five fuses in a little black box, separate from the rest.

My Cars
    2003 bmw 330ci
    nonturbodan
    Yes all five of those fuses were checked and are good.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Maybe it is flooded. If you have fuel pressure, spark, no codes and it won't start with spray I would check the plugs or try holding the throttle pedal all the way down while cranking. This will cause clear flood mode and hopefully get it started.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 328i
    Sure could be flooded. We had them towed in pretty regularly in at the dealer like that. They would roll the booster battery up there, clamp off the fuel feed hose and just crank it.

My Cars
    2003 bmw 330ci
    randy72877 and nonturbodan
    Thanks for your suggestions. I had aleady tried holding the throttle pedal all the way down while cranking and forgot to include it in the list of things I have already tried. I have not pulled the plugs because it did not seem logical that all 6 plugs would fail at the same time. I will try again to hold the throttle open while cranking and use nonturbodan's idea of clamping off the fuel feed hose. How long should I let the engine crank over to clear a flood mode?

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Pull a few and see if they are wet with fuel. If they are wet, remove them all and blow compressed air into the cylinders or leave them out for a while if you don't have air.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 bmw 330ci
    I am happy to report that it started! I was unable to remove a spark plug as they seem to be frozen in place (another project for another day) and I did not want to risk breaking them off in the block. So I put a rag over the fuel rail and released the pressure of the gas then put the gas pedal to the floor and cranked for 15 to 20 seconds and it finally stumbled to life and then ran fine. Since I had replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter/regulator and the crank sensor, any one of those may have been the cause of my initial no start. Then after replacing those parts and attempting to start I somehow flooded the engine. Anyway I will rationalize the expense and time replacing those items as preventative maintenance. Thanks Randy72877 and nonturbodan, the BMW dealer failed to get access to my check book this time and my Bimmer is back on the roads!