Thread: Time for new fuel pumps

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85

Time for new fuel pumps

Well...after almost 3 years into the restoration, it was time to finally fire up the 5.7. Last time it was ran was about 2 years ago. Cranked fine. Did not fire.... I had removed the fuse in the Alarm, and was wondering if that might have had something to do with it, so I put it back in - no change. I spoke with Wuffer and Steffen, and we all agreed - check the fuel pumps. Before checking the pumps, I made sure that the new fuel filters were put in correctly - that the arrow was pointed toward the engine side of the lines, not the tank side. Check - I had not screwed that up. Tom suggested that I make sure the DK motors were humming - which in turn would indicate that the large fuseable links in the trunks were good - DK motors buzzed. Good. Next - removed the rear passenger seat and checked the plug to make sure power was going to the pumps, ensuring that the fuses and relays were OK - had power to both pump + wires. Next - check the pumps independently by connecting to a 12V source directly - I did not have a spare battery. So I just made a long + and - set of wires from the batteries in the trunk (they were new, and have been on a battery tender). I connected this to the + and - at the pump....walla…...no sound from either pump. Now...to make things more difficult, I had just filled the tank with new 93+ octane non-ethanol gas. So, I will make a mess when I have to remove the old pump and place the new one.

Oh well....got to call Gault in the morning on Monday and spend more money. There is a reason that Marcia calls the car the ALEXPENSIVE.

CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    1990 850i and 1970 2800C
    i put a new fuel pump unit in a few weeks ago…. was surprized by the price…. expensive pumps .
    Could also have just replaced the 2 pumps and the 4 worn rubber supports , if those are still available… but OK, i opted for a complete new unit.
    There were already 2 different pumps in it , so a PO must have it done in the years ….
    Forgot to order the big rubber ring gasket … reused the old one.
    recently car was very lean on one bank or even bank "dead" .... must still test it but possible a new pump already died…. ? Fuse is OK , still relais to check.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    +1 on the new rubber gasket - it makes life so much easier. You will definitely want to siphon about 5 gallons or so out of the tank or you will have several gallons of fuel running out of that big opening once you crack it open (learned that the hard way the first time I every opened that years ago). Keep a bunch of damp towels on hand just in case.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    BMW 850i
    Yes! +1 on the new gasket purchase.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850CI
    Check out a handy device in a case called a GassTapper. Works like a champ, and for those who live in areas with frequent power outages that use a gas fueled generator, it is a way to easily get gas out of the car. You won’t have to store 5 Gl. And worry about it going stale.

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    I just watched the Gas Tapper video and saw where they used two hoses, one inside of the other, to get siphon line past obstruction in filler neck. I wonder if this would work on the E31? I couldn't get a siphon line into tank through the neck when I needed to remove pumps but this trick might just work.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I use the wheel centering pin from the onboard toolbox to hold the anti-siphoning flap open, and insert the hose to get the fuel out.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    '91 850i, E39 & E46 Cars
    Roger - I just sent an e-mail to you re pumps. /Henry

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Thanks Henry for the information! I just ordered 2 new Bosch OEM 69493 pumps for $200 plus shipping for the pair. The cheapest I could find for a new BMW Fuel pump assembly was from Scott at Gault was $499 (retail was around $650).
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    Thanks Henry for the information! I just ordered 2 new Bosch OEM 69493 pumps for $200 plus shipping for the pair. The cheapest I could find for a new BMW Fuel pump assembly was from Scott at Gault was $499 (retail was around $650).
    I'd be interested to see if you can get to all the clamps to the fuel lines going to the pump carrier. When I changed the carrier/both pumps on the CSi as much as I tried, I could not get to one of the clamps. Such an annoying oversight. You are left with two options. Neither of them very appealing.

I joke with another fellow 8er that the day they put that piece together in the factory, Hans was out for a long lunch. Hans is my generic (yet endearing) representation for a German engineer .
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8