Thread: leaking sump gasket after SC install

My Cars
    1990 850i and 1970 2800C

leaking sump gasket after SC install

it was already leaking but got worse after the SC install.... and i happen to read here somebody had the same problem after his SC mount.
    Will be due the increased blow by and sump pan pressure. I have now the 2 vents on the heads just open with air filters on .
    I bought a old 850 engine , demounted it to have a clear view of that gasket …. and see in that corner a big hole in pan and engine block that doesn't serve anything ?? but go's half way the normal gasket width ! It's there i have a serious leak … do not know why BMW made it like that … ?

My first idea was of course a new gasket …. but as we also have small leaks around the heads that foul the engine on their way down , i opted for a test with a vacuum pump. I (already ) removed the second alternator , so the place can be used for a similar dimensions pump . ( Moroso 22642)
    I will drive it from a small pulley mounted on the servo pump , as it must spin at approx 1/2 engine rpm. That keeps the belt just under the fan and the Pentosin oil filter there must just be lowered a bit , so he stays between the belts.

As i have no more the big plastic air boxes , i can use that space on one side for a catch can. I'm making one from a old (Porsche) dry sump tank.

Idea is to make a little bit vacuum , safe , not to influence the engine's oil pressure . And i hope to have in that way a dry clean engine

SAM_2566.jpgSAM_2564.jpgSAM_2565.jpgcan.jpg

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Interesting project. Keep us posted.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    1990 850i and 1970 2800C
    thanks for interest 72tpik5 , i sure will do . Brought today my drawing to the machining shop for the flange, to bolt on the servo pulley and that can recieve a ( small ) pulley which i can change if desired. That will be for next week , as we have a holiday mid week.... i start with 45 mm ( the minimum for those belts ) but can go to 50...60... . The vacuum pump pulley is 135 mm. ( servo pulley is already spinning a bit faster than de crankshaft 140:120 )

The catch can will be small in height , due ground clearence i want . But OK for a test , just don't know how long it wil take to have 1L oil in the can. I can drain it of course , no use to keep there 5 liters oil . On the other hand i want to keep the diameter ( 220 mm ) for good centrifugal effect , this will be much air flow as compared to atmo ventilation…

My Cars
    '91 850i '95 840Ci,
    I used one of these on my twin turbocharged Taurus ex-police interceptor. http://teamrxp.com/

Dual vacuum source--intake manifold until it pressurizes and closes a check valve and then from the air tube to the turbo inlets.

Catches lots but the Taurus is direct injected so it is mostly to keep recirculated junk off the back of the intake valves. Catches more in cold weather than warm.
    Terry
    '95 840Ci Arctic Silver
    '98 740i Arctic Silver
    '98 SVT Cobra Mustang Convertible
    www.wuffer.net
    www.8coupe.com
    www.8er.org