Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRP vs Samonsas vs RTD vs Cae

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe

IRP vs Samonsas vs RTD vs Cae

Is anybody here running the IRP short shifter kit? I want to see how it compares with the rtd shifter or cae ultrashort. At half the price is it worth it? Comparing the bottom of the barrel on these short shifters to the top. I really want the CAE or RTD was thinking of getting one more affordable for now and selling down the road as long as the performance is worth it.
    I did search for this but really only found info comparing the RTD to the CAE but nothing of the IRP or samsonas shifter to those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wastatepride; 10-28-2018 at 06:55 AM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I installed an IRP on a member's car recently. Other than it having rattles here and there, it's way more pleasant to use than I thought it would be. I went into the install dreading the decision.

IRP does rely on the transmission detents for centering. I know some other brands have heavy springs built into the shifter. Personally, the IRP felt amazing so I don't know that I would want a self sprung shifter unless it was being used a detent-less SMG transmission.

Install photos.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    I installed an IRP on a member's car recently. Other than it having rattles here and there, it's way more pleasant to use than I thought it would be. I went into the install dreading the decision.

IRP does rely on the transmission detents for centering. I know some other brands have heavy springs built into the shifter. Personally, the IRP felt amazing so I don't know that I would want a self sprung shifter unless it was being used a detent-less SMG transmission.

Install photos.

Dang it looks good. So can you tell me what not having the self centering spring means? Not really concerned about not having reverse lockout but I think they all do no

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    I bought the RTD today. Very excited

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G

Install photos.
    Would you choose the IRP for one of your own cars?
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    Would you choose the IRP for one of your own cars?
    Street car, hell no.

Something with a track focus, probably but not specifically the IRP. This was my first experience so I can’t say if some other option is better.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    Street car, hell no.

Something with a track focus, probably but not specifically the IRP. This was my first experience so I can’t say if some other option is better.
    Thanks for this info. Glad I didn’t cheap out lol

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have a friend who went back to aftermarket stock style after using one of those on his street car that he also drag raced. With stiff or solid mounts they work best, and stiff or solid mounts are no fun on a street car.

It’s the 2-3 shift that is slow on my car, and that has been true with 3 ZF320, detents changed on all. Flywheel is stock weight dual mass but aftermarket Southbend clutch that is stiffer, and UUC EVO3 with DSSR. I am beyond the limits of the ZF320 power holding and that may affect shifting.

I will be going to a GS6-53 and twin disk this winter and hope that will help. If not, I may try a captive shifter trans like a T56 Magnum.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I have a friend who went back to aftermarket stock style after using one of those on his street car that he also drag raced. With stiff or solid mounts they work best, and stiff or solid mounts are no fun on a street car.

It’s the 2-3 shift that is slow on my car, and that has been true with 3 ZF320, detents changed on all. Flywheel is stock weight dual mass but aftermarket Southbend clutch that is stiffer, and UUC EVO3 with DSSR. I am beyond the limits of the ZF320 power holding and that may affect shifting.

I will be going to a GS6-53 and twin disk this winter and hope that will help. If not, I may try a captive shifter trans like a T56 Magnum.
    That’s good to know. I ONLY drive this car on the track though and to and from. It’s got really stiff trans mounts with the aluminum cups and really hard motor mounts. I used to miss 3rd and would hit 5th coming around the last turn but with the stiffer mounts no sir. I’m hoping this will make the gears even tighter.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post

That’s good to know. I ONLY drive this car on the track though and to and from. It’s got really stiff trans mounts with the aluminum cups and really hard motor mounts. I used to miss 3rd and would hit 5th coming around the last turn but with the stiffer mounts no sir. I’m hoping this will make the gears even tighter.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Street car, hell no.

I haven't tried any either, I'm sure the feel is nice. But yeah as others have mentioned you have to run stiff mounts or else I think there's too much movement. I guess I'm fairly happy with the Bear Motorsport setup I have... though I think I may try to go to a taller knob than the ZHP I have on. Maybe like the stock one, or stock weighted option there is.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    I haven't tried any either, I'm sure the feel is nice. But yeah as others have mentioned you have to run stiff mounts or else I think there's too much movement. I guess I'm fairly happy with the Bear Motorsport setup I have... though I think I may try to go to a taller knob than the ZHP I have on. Maybe like the stock one, or stock weighted option there is.
    I got a Tall condor speed shop one last week I’d sell you FOR 75+ shipping, since I bought a RTD

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastatepride View Post
    I got a Tall condor speed shop one last week I’d sell you FOR 75+ shipping, since I bought a RTD

I appreciate the offer, but I like the leather on the OEM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    I appreciate the offer, but I like the leather on the OEM.
    No worries just throwing it there

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastatepride View Post
    Thanks for this info. Glad I didn’t cheap out lol

Cheap out? The IRP is $450. It's not cheap by any means.

But yeah as others have mentioned you have to run stiff mounts or else I think there's too much movement.
    Absolutely not. That car has new Corteco stock motor mounts with Rogue trans mounts and it is great. I don't buy into the whole solid mount stuff until the car is track ONLY.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    [QUOTE=Braymond141;30135009]Cheap out? The IRP is $450. It's not cheap by any means.

Well when the part varies from 450-1200 I don’t want to get the cheapest one and expect what I would out of a more expensive shifter. Like tighter shifting, less noise, self centering spring and colors I want

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    Plus the fact that I can’t find to seen anyone that has one. I don’t want to be the guinea pig and not like it, not be able to return it or sell it. So I went with what a lot of guys seem to like

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Find people who have street driven one for a couple of years. Solid mounted shifters work best with little engine/trans movement, which means stiff mounts, which aren’t fun to street drive. Maybe this IRP is not as hard core since it relies on the stock trans detents, and is not spring loaded.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    The thing is I don’t care how it performs on a street setting. This is my track car and is not driven on the street so it’s irrelevant. I have very stiff mounts as well becasue it’s not street driven

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    We run an RTD in both of our race cars. One is a champcar that uses stock rubber mounts for both the motor and trans. Once you get the shifter adjusted correctly the mounts make no difference. The only issue we had was before we adjusted, if you were braking real hard in 4th it would pull itself out of gear. Moved the mount foward and the issue was resolved. Our other car is a spec car and its got solid mounts everywhere and it feels great. Its really hard to drive a car without an RTD in it now.
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    E46 330i
    CAE - 1200$ and is made in Germany and IRP - 600$ and is made in Lithuania... think think think... is all about politics man... look for IRP V3 self centered, great reviews, is used in a lot of racing app so.. I don't think you'll ever brake it )

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by oli9mm74 View Post
    CAE - 1200$ and is made in Germany and IRP - 600$ and is made in Lithuania... think think think... is all about politics man... look for IRP V3 self centered, great reviews, is used in a lot of racing app so.. I don't think you'll ever brake it )
    I went with the RTD. I ABSOLUTELY love it. Well worth the money. Took a little getting used to but I can’t imagine going back. Haven’t had a chance to get on the track yet but luckily/unfortunately I’ve had to daily my track car for 2 weeks so I’m used to it now lol

My Cars
    S54 E36
    I've ran RTD in my track only car since 2016. I've had two shifters, the non-lockout and more recently the now outdated cage style with reverse lockout.

Maher changed the design after the guys at CAE started calling him out for copying their design. He proclaims his innocence and has relocated the locking mechanism underneath (vs above like the CAE) like any other businessman with integrity.

RTD is legit.

You get a shifter that's about 90% the same quality and performance as other way more expensive cage style shifters for about 50% of the price. People love to talk shit about RTD to help defend/justify their overpriced shifter, but I almost never hear of failures with RTD.

I personally have never had a problem with either shifter and Maher has always been quick to respond to any and all customer service questions.

10/10 would buy again!

Older non-locking:

You can see the shifter in action here:

Last edited by golgo13; 05-24-2019 at 02:05 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    I've ran RTD in my track only car since 2016. I've had two shifters, the non-lockout and more recently the now outdated cage style with reverse lockout.

Maher changed the design after the guys at CAE started calling him out for copying their design. He proclaims his innocence and has relocated the locking mechanism underneath (vs above like the CAE) like any other businessman with integrity.

RTD is legit.

You get a shifter that's about 90% the same quality and performance as other way more expensive cage style shifters for about 50% of the price. People love to talk shit about RTD to help defend/justify their overpriced shifter, but I almost never hear of failures with RTD.

I personally have never had a problem with either shifter and Maher has always been quick to respond to any and all customer service questions.

10/10 would buy again!

Older non-locking:

You can see the shifter in action here:

I did end up going with rtd. Pic above

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Yeah, awesome. Just sharing my experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast