Thread: Blinking radio lights and no spark

My Cars
    1988 BMW 635csi

Blinking radio lights and no spark

So a continuation of my frustrations after my refurbished m20b27 engine swap.

My ignition system is getting power across the map and the engine turns over but there is no spark.

The coil was tested and has the right resistance across all terminals. Its getting battery power But it's not sending power to the plugs so I don't think it's getting the message from the ECU .

I tested the reference and speed sensor resistance and it's completely unreadable. The clips just crumbled away and the wire insulation cracks so I suspect these guys are the source of my no spark situation.

As for blinking radio lights? I don't know. Could this be related to something else that could also cause a no spark kinda day?

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    So a continuation of my frustrations after my refurbished m20b27 engine swap.

My ignition system is getting power across the map and the engine turns over but there is no spark.

The coil was tested and has the right resistance across all terminals. Its getting battery power But it's not sending power to the plugs so I don't think it's getting the message from the ECU .

I tested the reference and speed sensor resistance and it's completely unreadable. The clips just crumbled away and the wire insulation cracks so I suspect these guys are the source of my no spark situation.

Car will not start without these sensors in working order, make sure you don't mix them up, good idea to mark them or use wire ties to id them.
    As for blinking radio lights? I don't know. Could this be related to something else that could also cause a no spark kinda day?
    Probably a radio code issue if it's the original radio. If so, check owners manual/packet for code, usually on a card, if that's not available a dealer can provide the code with registration/identification.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 635csi
    Turns out, even after swapping out sensors, the electrical connector housing was all demolished and brittle at the base so the 1 and 2 wires were shorting on each other.

It took me checking all the pins in the ECU and seeing that the 960ohms weren't making it to the ECU.

As for the radio, it went back to normal as soon as the car ran.

Mission success. What a learning experience.