Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: 2001 E38 bluetooth integration questions

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport

2001 E38 bluetooth integration questions

So from what I have read on this forum, the go-to bluetooth devices are from grom and dice. I have a 2001 E38 with dsp which I don't know too much about but from my understanding, I would basically need to install the bluetooth kit into the trunk where the cd changer is, correct? I don't care about aux or usb, I just want bluetooth to play my music while the steering wheel buttons still function. What exactly would I need? Any help is appreciated and if you know of an even cheaper device that works just as well as the grom or dice then please let me know. Thanks
    Last edited by justinburner; 10-26-2018 at 02:32 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The head unit in your car may have a connector at the rear of the unit that would allow you to connect a Bluetooth interface device. If not, yes, you’ll have to use the CD changer cables. No bigger. Check the GROM website to see what fits. GROM is a very reputable company.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    is anyone here familiar with this ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yatour-Blue...3a28:rk:1:pf:0

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    The head unit in your car may have a connector at the rear of the unit that would allow you to connect a Bluetooth interface device. If not, yes, you’ll have to use the CD changer cables. No bigger. Check the GROM website to see what fits. GROM is a very reputable company.
    is there a way to tell without taking the head unit out first just so I don't waste my time?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    No. You have to yank it out. Also, does the car have navigation? If it does, all of the electronix are located in the left side of the trunk.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    I'm seeing that some people just remove the dsp amp and install an aftermarket amp.. is that worth doing? I was planning on getting new speakers some time in the future so would it be a good idea to just get that new amp in right now and be able to route it to a bluetooth device without getting the dsp conversion cable? I'm just trying to weigh out my options before I go and spend money on something. Was also considering just purchasing a new head unit but I can't find too many compatible with this whole dsp system. Seems like dsp just gets in the way of simple things

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The audio system was designed with the DSP in mind. I’m not sure what’ll happen if you replace the factory amp with an aftermarket amp. Btw, the interface between the head unit and the factory may be balanced differential (BD). BD signals are different than line level and speaker level signals. Line level signals are typically very low voltage while speaker level signals are a couple of volts. Lastly, the factory amp likely has built-in crossovers.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    The audio system was designed with the DSP in mind. I’m not sure what’ll happen if you replace the factory amp with an aftermarket amp. Btw, the interface between the head unit and the factory may be balanced differential (BD). BD signals are different than line level and speaker level signals. Line level signals are typically very low voltage while speaker level signals are a couple of volts. Lastly, the factory amp likely has built-in crossovers.
    thanks for all the replies man. I ended up just getting the grom unit. When the time comes I'll probably buy that bavsound speaker kit. Probably would be too much trouble to remove the dsp and have a completely aftermarket system

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Installed the grom unit, everything working fine but there’s one thing concerning me.. The unit seems to stay on even after I power off the car. My phone is still connected to the device. Is this normal or did I mess up somewhere ?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Modern bimmers take ~15 minutes to go to sleep. The GROM unit may be powered by a circuit that has power until the car goes to sleep. To what is the GROM unit connected? Where is it getting its power?

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Modern bimmers take ~15 minutes to go to sleep. The GROM unit may be powered by a circuit that has power until the car goes to sleep. To what is the GROM unit connected? Where is it getting its power?
    I feel like an idiot lol.. I had assumed the car didn't sleep instantly but I didn't realize that using the key functions to unlock doors/open trunk would turn it on. So I had waited an hour and went back to my car to see if the grom was on and it was, only because I had just unlocked the doors. I just checked again without using any of the key functions and the grom is off. Thank you for the help

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You’re welcome.