Thread: Oil Change: True or False?

My Cars
    2002 525i, 2007 Z4 Coupe

Oil Change: True or False?

Me again. As you know, I just bought my first (used) Z4, a 2007 3.0si Coupe. Bright red, by the way.
    I saw an online video that said to change the oil, I would need to open a small door in the splash pan under the engine in order to access the drain plug. My car came without a splash pan, so my mechanic (an independent BMW guy) said I need to replace it. (The splash pan, not the car.) Fine. Then he said that I could save some money by changing the oil at the same time, because changing the oil requires removal of the entire splash pan. I said, wait, I saw an online video that showed a small access door (maybe 10" by 10") to access the drain plug, and the access door required only an allen wrench to open the access door. (Sounds sort of like Alice in Wonderland.) I asked why he needed to remove the entire splash pan. The mechanic said some Z4s come with an access door and some don't.
    What? Huh? Will my splash pan come with an access door? Will I need to remove the entire splash pan every time I change the oil (which I have always done my self in the case of my other BMW, which does not have a gig splash pan)?
    I suspect you guys know the answer to this, just like the other questions you guys have known the answers to.
    Phil Jones
    Portland, OR

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Mechanic needs replaced!
    You can download the owners manual from this link:
    https://carmanuals2.com/get/bmw-z4-c...s-manual-54081

My Cars
    2002 525i, 2007 Z4 Coupe
    But the owner's manual does not answer this question. It does not even discuss oil changes.
    Phil Jones

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    2007 3.0 SI roadster has the small little door for quick access. If you select part # 51717028433 in the following diagram it will show you all models that have it

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0642

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    I dont understand how you would be saving money. Just about every car has a splash pan now from new and most need to be removed to do oil change as most also dont have a little trap door. My Caddy and Subaru also had the guards with no trap door. So, how is removing the 5 or 6 bolts holding the splash guard on saving you money? Is he charging extra labor just to R&R it? If so, find another indie shop IMO

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    That was exactly my thought. The mechanic is making it seem like a whole process on a different more complicated scale.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Unless you drive down crazy rocky roads I don't really see a need to buy and install the belly plastics...
    The access panel is more like 6"x8" with two rectangular tabs and a oddly cheap spinning locking disk towards the front.
    I replaced mine because it was warped and hung down and bugged me while I was under the car cleaning, fixing or maintaining.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    I believe the plastic engine splash shield takes the water and dirt splash away from sensitive electronic components like the water pump, headlight level sensor, ABS sensors etc.! With all the electronics that is built into this and other BMW vehicles, $140 worse of plastic protection is insignificant compared to the price of any of these electronics. Not to mention the long term undercarriage, engine and body rust protection. The Z4 is pretty low on the ground so any road gravel and water will have a significant reach and effect.
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-26-2018 at 07:31 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Here is the plastic oil drain access cover which attaches to the metal reinforcement plate:https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...57#51617199687
    Here is the engine splash cover:https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...63#51717012723
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 12-05-2018 at 01:29 AM.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    I have the little trap door on my 03 Z4. I only put 1500 miles on mine in a years time. The previous owner said oil was good. Not knowing who replaced it and with what, I changed it myself with top grade oil and filter. Took about 15 minutes. I'm good for another year.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Excellent decision!
    Be sure to use full synthetic BMW recommended oils,
    and only use Mann,Mahle, or Hengst oil filters,
    as they are the only ones that can endure yearly replacement.

My Cars
    2005 e85
    There seems to be a lot of confusion. The sheet SS tray towards the rear of the engine bay is a stiffener, not normally removed. It always has an opening, usually with a trap door unless it’s fallen off, to access the engine drain. The plastic splash pan is forward of that and is not removed for oil change. Your “mechanic” is not looking in the right place.
    Look way,way back, near the back of the metal tray, for the drain access. The trap door has a Dzus fastener, a quarter turn or so deal, to make access easier yet. And find a real mechanic.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Any Z4 E85 is between 10-15 years old now. 197950 Z4 E85 vehicles have been produced. Each one of these vehicles has received at minimum 11-16 oil changes so far with at least 4-9 oil changes per vehicle performed outside of warranty (oil change not necessarily obtained at dealer). If you do the math; 791,800-1,781,550 oil changes at minimal have been performed out of warranty so far.

At this point, there is NOT ‘a lot of confusion’ about motor oil changes especially that fast oil change can be obtained almost anywhere for a flat service rate and does not require a real mechanic!

Even mechanics that are not familiar with the vehicle have reference guides and internet to figure out what they are missing!

This mechanic is just seeking a pay raise, that’s all!
    Last edited by tekoo; 11-28-2018 at 04:20 PM.

My Cars
    2005 e85
    Quote Originally Posted by tekoo View Post
    Any Z4 E85 is between 10-15 years old now. 197950 Z4 E85 vehicles have been produced. Each one of these vehicles has received at minimum 11-16 oil changes so far with at least 4-9 oil changes per vehicle performed outside of warranty (oil change not necessarily obtained at dealer). If you do the math; 791,800-1,781,550 oil changes at minimal have been performed out of warranty so far.

At this point, there is NOT ‘a lot of confusion’ about motor oil changes especially that fast oil change can be obtained almost anywhere for a flat service rate and does not require a real mechanic!

Even mechanics that are not familiar with the vehicle have reference guides and internet to figure out what they are missing!

This mechanic is just seeking a pay raise, that’s all!
    well, the OP’s “mechanic” sure seems confused. Or crooked. And more than a few of you seem a bit uncertain about the undertrays. And you’re right, it should be a no-brainer.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    There are certain milestones in the life of every BMW vehicle where new ownership spikes. One spike occurs after first 4 years when returned leased vehicles and non-leased vehicles with expiring warranties get sold to new owners at ~30-50k miles. A second spike occurs at ~70k miles and then at ~85-95k miles before vehicles cross the 100k mile mark.

Every time one of these spikes occurs there is a wave of new owners that are re-exploring the old questions that have been buried in the past by previous owners (e.g. valve lifter ticking noise, oil changes, convertible motor, halo headlights, sticky steering, tram lining ...etc.).

The last 2 generations of the Z4 E85 vehicles are approaching the 90-100k mile mark now so be prepared to see more questions of that sort.

A confused new owner is not hard to imagine. A mechanic on the other hand, that is confused about a simple oil change for an older model vehicle is very difficult to believe! How difficult can a simple oil change be in any vehicle anyways?
    Last edited by tekoo; 11-29-2018 at 12:52 AM.

My Cars
    2002 525i, 2007 Z4 Coupe
    I suspect that my mechanic had not yet obtained the splash guard for my car (which was missing its splash guard when I bought it a few weeks ago). When I pointed out that it was supposed to have a small access door, he said some do and some don't. Perhaps he was thinking of a different model?
    And he wasn't really a mechanic. He was the service advisor at a small independent BMW repair shop. They have always treated me well, and I think he was being entirely sincere. And he charged me less than he quoted me. And a whole lot less than the dealer quoted me. I have no complaints.
    Phil Jones