Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh, it's not the timing chain guides

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA Sport

Uh oh, it's not the timing chain guides

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some more opinions before I make a big mistake!

I arrived home one day and parked my 2000 540iA in my driveway. Later when I went to pull it into the garage, it was now making a loud, nasty rattle. I self-diagnosed it as timing chain guide, although it only has 75K miles. I had replaced the CC tensioner last year because of startup rattle, but it didn't really reduce the rattle.

I had it towed to an indy shop who listened to it. They quoted $5000 for a timing guide job, and another quoted $4000. I decided to tow it home and work on it myself for the "fun" of it. I ordered the ECS Tuning timing guide kit, VANOS timing kit, and a bunch of other tools and set out.

The whole thing is apart and ready for reassembly. The trouble is, the timing guides looked fine. There was no debris of any kind in the lower oil pan. The oil pump is tight and its chain is perfectly tensioned. Cam lobes look good. So at this point, I'm at a loss. Do I proceed to remove the heads for further diagnosis -- a major operation that exceeds my aspirations and may be for naught? Or do I put it back together and pray -- and maybe treat it with chemicals and high RPMs in case the lifters have not filled with oil? Can I examine the lifters without removing the heads?

I'm hoping someone experienced may recognize this noise as something specific that could save me a whole lot of headache! If you do then please let me know.

Disassembly status:

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Quite the disturbing sound! Did you try running it without the belts on? that could be one of the accessories failing, maybe an exhaust leak?
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Sounds like one or more collapsed tappets. Might want to check valve clearance. This might identify the culprit.

At very least, you'll be able to renew the gaskets to forestall oil leaks.
    Last edited by edjack; 10-25-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Did the car ever run low on oil? Sounds kind of like rod knock to me

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Sounds too fast for tappet unless your idle was very high for some reason. Likely rod bearing.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    2001 530i, 2007 X5 3.0si
    +1 on the valve lifters.

I'm apparently one of the only people on the internet to have a valve lifter on a m54 engine go (was gone when I bought it at 70,000 miles), and it sounded very similar (if not the same -it was 5.5 years ago- to that)

As far as I know, the only was to diagnose is to use an automotive stethoscope.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    It could be any of those but doesn’t the power steering sound like that when the bracket cracks or is failing?

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA Sport
    This must be the loudest and fastest ticking noise on all of YouTube. Reading about rod knock is scary. If that's it, it seems to be Game Over anyway. The frequency does seem a bit fast for rod knock, and there are no traces of metal shavings in the oil or filter, and the onset was pretty sudden, so for these reasons I'll probably pretend it's not that for now.

The power steering pump was quite secure. The car has been used infrequently, which might account for the lifters draining and creating problems. If the concensus is the lifters, it seems the next step is to remove the camshafts and casings to inspect the lifters?

Here are all the additional data points I can think of:
    • It still made the noise with the fan blade removed, but I didn't try with the belts off.
    • The car has never run low on oil and does not burn oil.
    • With the engine open there is a bit of a burnt-oil smell.
    • It has received oil changes every 6000 to 8000 miles. Oil and filter were only ~6 months old when the noise started.
    • In the past few years, it has got less than 2000 miles/year since I ride a motorcycle most of the time.
    • Right when I landed in my driveway, I got a LOW OIL PRESSURE, STOP IMMEDIATELY warning on the dash (one time only, did not recur). It was knocking on the next start.
    • Indy shop said oil was maybe 1/2 qt low.
    • Indy shop reported oil found in the oil pressure switch connector.
    • Indy shop reported fault codes DME 00005D (FUNCTION, TANK VENTING SYSTEM), DME 000089C (ACTIVATION, MAP COOLING).
    Last edited by curtmcd; 10-25-2018 at 11:09 PM.

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by curtmcd View Post
    Right when I landed in my driveway, I got a LOW OIL PRESSURE, STOP IMMEDIATELY warning on the dash (one time only, did not recur). It was knocking on the next start.
    You probably should have opened with this info,

How much oil did you remove from the engine? 1/2qt low won't cause that
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Oil pressure switch can leak at the connector, not a big deal.
    Did you take the U guide off to look at the bottom? That part will wear the quickest.
    Doesn't sound like a rod to me. The noise sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine.
    Put it back together, take all the belts off and start it up. See if it still makes the noise.
    Last edited by JimLev; 10-26-2018 at 12:23 AM.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    That sound is way too fast and wrong pitch to be lifters or rod bearings. It doesn't sound like any of the accessory (water pump, alternator, power steering, A/C) bearings. It actually sounds like an air compressor. Hmmm... Could it have been coming from the back of the engine? That PVC diaphram?
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 540i m View Post
    You probably should have opened with this info,
    How much oil did you remove from the engine? 1/2qt low won't cause that
    Yes, I forgot to mention the LOW PRESSURE warning until I went over the shop report again. Because oil was not low, my thought was that the oil pressure switch might really be defective, so I put in a new one.

I removed and examined all chains, tensioners and guides and found them all in good working condition (but will still replace them).

The noise certainly seems to be coming from front and center. Maybe the oil pump is making the noise and generating low pressure, even though it is installed tight and chain deflection is 10mm?
    Last edited by curtmcd; 10-26-2018 at 01:07 AM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Well keep in mind the crank spins 2x as fast as the valvetrain. Might still be fast for rod knock, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by curtmcd View Post
    The frequency does seem a bit fast for rod knock, and there are no traces of metal shavings in the oil or filter, and the onset was pretty sudden, so for these reasons I'll probably pretend it's not that for now.
    Here are all the additional data points I can think of:
    • It still made the noise with the fan blade removed, but I didn't try with the belts off.
    • The car has never run low on oil and does not burn oil.
    • With the engine open there is a bit of a burnt-oil smell.
    • Right when I landed in my driveway, I got a LOW OIL PRESSURE, STOP IMMEDIATELY warning on the dash (one time only, did not recur). It was knocking on the next start.
    • Indy shop said oil was maybe 1/2 qt low.
    • Indy shop reported oil found in the oil pressure switch connector.
    You said it was knocking on the next start. Was the LOW OIL PRESSURE... still lit up? How long did the engine run between the start of the noise and your taking it apart?
    Did you rev the engine up? If so, did the "tone" change? Did the engine seem to labor?
    I've listened to the sound over and over and I just can't quite place it.
    Last edited by Santaclaus4; 10-26-2018 at 02:45 AM.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Did the car ever run low on oil? Sounds kind of like rod knock to me
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 540i m View Post
    You probably should have opened with this info
    Per the others here - I was hoping for something like loose PS pump or exhaust leak but...

I'm not optimistic. Way way too loud for a collapsed lifter.

I'm not sure where all the confidence that this isn't a rod is coming from. I've heard motors about to throw rods, hell I've OWNED a motor about to throw rods, and they sound pretty much just like this.

Couple that with the extreme low oil pressure alarm... mmmm. Yeah.

I mean you can try running it w/ no accessories just to be sure but, I'd prepare for the worst. Good news is M62 motors are relatively plentiful and not particularly in demand... although you'll be hard pressed to find a 75k one...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    After you get it all back together and confirm its not any of the accessory drive items and the noise is still present you can disconnect one coil at a time deactivate cylinders. If it's a rod knock the noise should diminish when you get to the one that's knocking.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Maybe wiggle the rods bottoms you can reach with the lower pan off. Maybe it's one of the front ones and this can be done while it's apart now.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '03 m5, +
    subscribed

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    By audio analysis the knocking happens with about 12 Hz frequency, which corresponds to 720 rpm. Whatever it is, it is driven by something very close to (if not directly equal to) the crankshaft speed.

Could be a rod, something dropped inside one of the cylinders, etc.

If you are not ready to pull the heads yet, get a some kind of a borescope and try to see inside the cylinders if there's any evidence of a problem.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Nice job man! I have some of those audio tool apps on my iPhone didn't occur to me to listen to his vid with one!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    I'm curious too.

Once I had a similar puzzling sound from a head gasket that was leaking exhaust out the side when that valve opened. That frequency was at half the engine rpm, which led me to the top of the engine.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the oil pump yet -- something loose or broken. (Spins off the crank. Near the front. Might explain the loss of pressure.) But it's geared and might have different rpm than the crank. Just a thought. (I have no experience with oil pumps on the M62.)

Is the sound any louder underneath the car?

(Sorry -- just re-read and saw the oil pump reference above.)
    Last edited by R Shaffner; 10-27-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Clarification

My Cars
    z3
    My X5 4.6is engine developed rod knock and it sounded just like that...

My #1 and #2 were the worst, so philly's suggestion to try to tug on the rods on the front cylinders is a good one imo

Cylinder #1

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Would rod knock typically be at 1x engine speed or 2x (for play in both directions)?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Maybe wiggle the rods bottoms you can reach with the lower pan off. Maybe it's one of the front ones and this can be done while it's apart now.
    Great idea. I tried to wiggle them with a large screwdriver and they do move back and forth a millimeter or two.
    I took a video of it wiggling as best I could:

Last edited by curtmcd; 10-27-2018 at 06:17 PM.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Some side to side play is normal except in the thrust bearing. You want to push and pull them (up and down for example). That'll be harder to do in situ.
    Last edited by Santaclaus4; 10-27-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast