Thread: 2001 318i Coolant issues overheating??

My Cars
    318i

Exclamation 2001 318i Coolant issues overheating??

Alright boys new here but this is the last resort for my lovely car before it literally goes to the scrapyard

Basically, Car overheated and blew the head gasket so I have had the head gasket done and the car has been in and out of the garage about 4 times this year ever since due to overheating and I haven't yet been able to drive it anywhere.
    Car has since had many new bits including water pump etc, drove home from garage and upper rad hose had burst steam everywhere, week later had a new pipe put on and picked it up got home again and radiator had cracked in the plastic part, anyway installed a new radiator myself today as am fed up of being charged by the garage and thought all would be great, as if it would be I tried to bleed the system using the heater on full but the water in the top of the radiator cap is dead still and not moving at all does this mean my electric heater pump is toasted? also cannot hear any sort of noise from the little pump. And if so is this why I can't bleed the system correctly? Anyways started the car and let it run for a bit and the digital temp read about 110 and the radiator fan hasn't moved at all not sure if that's toasted as well? And yet again we have the steam blowing from the radiator cap! Not really sure what to do with the car at this point as I don't even know where to start and I'm beginning to think the garage has no idea either and must be sick of the sight of it, I really hope somebody can help me as I love my car and I don't really want to see it go.. Cheers!

My Cars
    E21, E46
    We can help you figure this out.

How old is the coolant system?

What parts of the coolant system are new and which are old and how old?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The water pump is mechanical. It sounds like either the pump is bad or the thermostat is shut. What brands of cooling system parts are in the car. Installing aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten.

My Cars
    318i
    Cheers for the replies boys, Can't remember what has been done to the car really its been so long, but for sure I know I have had a head gasket done, water pump, and a new radiator! I can't remember having the thermostat done and have taken it off today to check if its faulty and it doesn't seem to be opening in boiling water, the car has boiled up more than twice so hoping the engine is okay if this has been the problem this whole time... And for brands on parts it was all the garage I honestly couldn't tell you without asking them. Could I try removing the thermostat from the housing to allow maximum water flow through the block? Thanks again!

Edit: Just ran the car with just the thermostat housing and the actual thermostat removed and water seems to be flowing and the car reached 75degrees and the fan started working which didn't move previously, So I guess it has to be the thermostat?
    Last edited by jedubs; 10-26-2018 at 04:10 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Yup. The engine temperature should be in the 95*C to 100*C range. Google “BMW E46 hidden OBC functions.” Test 7 shows the engine temperature as seen by the engine computer (DME).

My Cars
    318i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Yup. The engine temperature should be in the 95*C to 100*C range. Google “BMW E46 hidden OBC functions.” Test 7 shows the engine temperature as seen by the engine computer (DME).
    Was running it idle on the drive last night and and the temperature was at 75 degrees, so have ordered a new thermostat, I will let you know what happens! Cheeers

My Cars
    318i
    Changed thermostat and seems to be fixed now boys, Doesn't go a degree over 100 and running mint, Thanks for your help!!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You’re welcome. We’re all in this addiction together.