Thread: Coolant leak fixed, but now no heat. Aux water pump issue?

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i

Coolant leak fixed, but now no heat. Aux water pump issue?

I was getting a low coolant level error every couple of weeks. I noticed that coolant was slowly bubbling through the cap on the overflow tank (which i at first assumed was the root of the low coolant), but eventually found the true leak was from the hose that connects th overflow tank to the radiator (the one that starts as rubber, transitions to hard plastic, then back to rubber). I replaced that hose, but in the time it took me to get to that, a squealing developed. I assumed it was from coolant leaking on to the serpentine belt, but as I did some research here, it might be the aux. water pump.

So, the hose was replaced, I topped up the system with coolant, and the leak seems to be fixed. Now I’m left with that squealing and a new issue, no heat. I think I can assume that the aux pump is shot (hence the noise), but my limited understanding leads me to think that I should still get some heat, though it might be irregular. If I remove that pump and just connect the hoses together, will my heat be restored?

Thanks all for any help!

My Cars
    2006 760Li
    are you getting no heat from both sides ( passenger and driver) or just one?

I would check the water pump, I had a similar issue with a coolant leak and after waiting too long to address the issues I also developed a squeaking noise, at first I taught it was a belt that had debris or coolant on it causing it to slip but a few eeeks later my water pump self destructed.

check for play in fan if the shaft can wiggles side to side or up and down get the pump replaced before the bearing gets destroyed.
    Last edited by sigmaes; 10-30-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    Black 1988 735i - (first car ) ** currently MIA
    Silver 2005 X5 3.0 - RIP
    Black 1990 750il - junked
    Monaco Blue 2006 760Li - Current

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    well, since I posted this, I pulled my heat control valve out and disassembled it. The rubber seals were pretty much destroyed, so I pulled away all the rubber bits that were just hanging on, reassembled it, and put it back in place. Now, I'm getting heat out of only one side, the passenger side. Also, I hooked up my Foxwell to see if I was throwing any aux water pump codes, which came back negative.

Sig, to check that pulley I assume it's just as simple as taking tension off the belt and spinning/wiggling the pulley on the water pump? Is replacing the water pump a big job on these cars? I've done them on older trucks and my first car (85 Camaro) and they were all simple.

Thanks again