Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dreams of an E39 V10?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Nice progress! This is looking more doable now that you have the subframe set close and the engine tucked in there. Nice video actually. GG should watch it!! The fore/aft location of the subframe looks about spot on, but I'd get some more measurements from another E39 and maybe and E60 to confirm. The caster and strut angles will affect the tire clearances as the steering is turned stop to stop. Might be a good to remove the spring from a strut and then move the steering stop to stop with strut compressed and also fully extended. The tire corners are very close to hitting the fender liner and fender lips on a stock E39 when you run bigger meats like 275-35-18's. It would be interesting to see how this plays out. Good luck and keep going. I like the "garage" you are working in!
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Freethrow, nice avatar.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Freethrow, nice avatar.
    You think so?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    This reminds me of a story from my youth. One friend suggested the use of a Chevy V8 manifold on a Ford V8. Another friend rejected the idea because it would not fit. The first guy said, "Ever try to make it fit?"

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    e36 316i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Cool. ALMOST enough to get me to watch a YouTard video. But no.
    Watch the third video as it shows subframe related stuff ignore the first two they won't be worth watching for you

Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Nice progress! This is looking more doable now that you have the subframe set close and the engine tucked in there. Nice video actually. GG should watch it!! The fore/aft location of the subframe looks about spot on, but I'd get some more measurements from another E39 and maybe and E60 to confirm. The caster and strut angles will affect the tire clearances as the steering is turned stop to stop. Might be a good to remove the spring from a strut and then move the steering stop to stop with strut compressed and also fully extended. The tire corners are very close to hitting the fender liner and fender lips on a stock E39 when you run bigger meats like 275-35-18's. It would be interesting to see how this plays out. Good luck and keep going. I like the "garage" you are working in!
    Good shout on removing the spring I hadn't thought of that!
    I'm hoping to get some rough subframe mounts welded on this weekend if I can borrow an arc welder of a mate (don't worry a mig is on the way) this is just for temporary mounts to get it held in place so I can get it back on its wheels. I have another E39 to compare wheel positioning too like you say. I might struggle on E60 measurements though.
    Regarding the wheel clearance I think using the E60 parts will give me me the same track width as running 20mm spacers on the E39 setup. So roughly I would be running et-1 if I run my 0058 rondells on here. I'm not sure what tire clearance will be like at that only time will tell.
    Haha thanks yeah the garage isn't great but it's getting better, the roof of the old barn I'm in has been "fixed" should keep the water out now. Next step is power and lighting save relying on a torch all the time. Then onto closing the front opening off just in time for winter setting in. Progress might slow down depends on how cold it gets lol .

Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    This reminds me of a story from my youth. One friend suggested the use of a Chevy V8 manifold on a Ford V8. Another friend rejected the idea because it would not fit. The first guy said, "Ever try to make it fit?"
    I'll try and live out to your story and make it fit

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    would you mind pm me insight on the jag eaton set up on your 540i, i was thinking about that project a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by jon316i View Post
    This is another avenue I may have to look into, having taken some measurements from my 540 the V10 is a much taller engine though so it could be a similar situation to where I am now.
    I'm going to try a couple of ideas at the weekend and if that fails I may "borrow" the subframe of the 540 for a mock up.

I think it could be Jim I've not seen another unless you have? Thanks it's going to be a long task!

I've already been involved in the 540 Deadpool as mine has the jag Eaton setup so I have the credentials lol.

I'm going to give it a good shot it will be my biggest project to date I'll admit that!
    I can't say how much I paid just incase the girlfriend finds out, but it was a reasonable deal with other parts I got. I need to do the rod bearings as a precaution.
    I'm planning to use the OEM DME if all falls into place worst case I can get a standalone ECU with a map for £1600 I'd prefer to use the OEM though with all protection and fault protection built in.

Thanks James

Lol it lived outside in Scotland for 12 months in the rain

- - - Updated - - -

There miles off trust me.....
    I've even cut the jacking point bar off the i6 subframe and it still won't go low enough the oil pumps are in the way
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

My Cars
    328i,740i,e36 m3 x2,e46
    Scares me also lol

I've started a YouTube series for this build.
    It's the first time I've done anything like this so bare with me, the content should get better the further I progress into this.
    Here's a link to the first video, there's currently 3 uploaded
    https://youtu.be/fjK_Np5wWZg
    To be fair though m62tu used to scare me too, now I have 3 m62tu cars. Lol Very cool! I'll be following this for sure!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Subscribed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i/6, 2003 BM
    Watched a bit of your last fitment video. Have you considered running the engine without the plenum? Maybe running some velocity stacks and an Alpha N tune, such as the one sold my 2M Autowerks??

Also, how the front wheels sit inside of the wheel well can be remedied by adjustable caster plates, which you would likely be doing anyways, as im sure you'll be changing the coilovers anyways to compensate for the added weight up front.

I suggest this as its more important shifting your focus on getting the steering linkage set in place versus worrying about caster that can be adjusted out later on

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e36 316i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by setho View Post
    Watched a bit of your last fitment video. Have you considered running the engine without the plenum? Maybe running some velocity stacks and an Alpha N tune, such as the one sold my 2M Autowerks??

Also, how the front wheels sit inside of the wheel well can be remedied by adjustable caster plates, which you would likely be doing anyways, as im sure you'll be changing the coilovers anyways to compensate for the added weight up front.

I suggest this as its more important shifting your focus on getting the steering linkage set in place versus worrying about caster that can be adjusted out later on

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
    I didn't really want to run velocity stacks as the car will be run all year round so in all weathers.

I know what you mean about caster I'm more concerned about getting the wheels in the correct position inside the arch and if this means adjusting caster later then I'll get adjustable top mounts. Moving the subframe back and forth does move the wheel back and forth within the arch so it's all a balancing act of subframe/wheel/engine placement all battling eachother.

Ive made some small progress on the project, I got some temporary mounts welded onto the shell. I had a couple of goes in different places to get where I think it needs to be but I need to do more measuring to confirm this though.

So here's how the car sits now back on its wheels with the engine sitting on the subframe unsupported
    IMG_20181125_181832.jpg

And even better the bonnet closes also!
    IMG_20181125_181850.jpg

Check out the monster arch gap
    IMG_20181125_181901.jpg

So now the next mission is onto the steering column which isn't going to be easy looking at the angles.
    I can't go any further with the subframe mounts till I've looked at the column.

After looking at the column I'll try fitting a header and no doubt I'll have clearance issues there....
    So some progress made but still all up in the air with so many variables fighting eachother constantly.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Just came across this v10 e46. Thought I'd share...

https://youtu.be/NZ5w5YvrSKs

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e36 316i coupe
    Update on my progress is now on YouTube, it shows working steering!

https://youtu.be/XJXyKvHvSd4

My Cars
    e36 316i coupe
    Sorry for the lack of updates but I'm currently waiting on parts for the coilovers from the states still over a month now which is stopping progress.
    I've also had rod bearings turn up so that's another job onto the list.

I took delivery of this yesterday which is the other side of the project. Its an M5 that has been stripped for parts, the plan is to have a V10 E39 in an m5 shell. The shell is straight just has rust on rear arches and sills that needs sorting.
    IMG_20190106_161926.jpg

IMG_20190106_161914.jpg

My Cars
    E21, E46
    Subscribed!

Very cool project. Videos of the finished car would be appreciated!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Sorry for the lack of updates but I'm currently waiting on parts for the coilovers from the states still over a month now which is stopping progress.
    I've also had rod bearings turn up so that's another job onto the list.

I took delivery of this yesterday which is the other side of the project. Its an M5 that has been stripped for parts, the plan is to have a V10 E39 in an m5 shell. The shell is straight just has rust on rear arches and sills that needs sorting.
    IMG_20190106_161926.jpg

IMG_20190106_161914.jpg
    Why go through all the work of fitting the engine in the I6 shell just to rip it out and start over again?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Why go through all the work of fitting the engine in the I6 shell just to rip it out and start over again?
    Well, the hard work is the figuring it out bit..., so, if he likes the blue M5 shell better, swapping the loaded subframe over is trivial in comparison.. Damn that is one stripped out M5 though. I'm amazed it still has the trunk lid, given that they took everything else.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Was thinking the same. I bet it's rusty under the lip.

But yeah, hard part is the fitting work. Good luck on project!
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Trunk has the VIN tag.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    In for updates. This is uber cool
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    e36 316i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertDenali View Post
    Subscribed!

Very cool project. Videos of the finished car would be appreciated!
    Thanks! It'll be a long time before it's completed I imagine though!

Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    The work I've done on the i6 shell has never been permanent as this has been the plan all along, the i6 shell is for mock up then transfer over to the M5 shell once I'm happy with the fitment.

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Well, the hard work is the figuring it out bit..., so, if he likes the blue M5 shell better, swapping the loaded subframe over is trivial in comparison.. Damn that is one stripped out M5 though. I'm amazed it still has the trunk lid, given that they took everything else.
    The shell needs quite a bit of work in the form of rust repairs, the i6 shell has gone in similar places also.

Yeah it is pretty stripped, its been used a donor car for a touring swap. It did have doors on but they where removed so we could lift it by hand off the trailer, the trunk lid is badly rusted around the microswitch as usual .

Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Was thinking the same. I bet it's rusty under the lip.

But yeah, hard part is the fitting work. Good luck on project!
    Indeed, very rusty!
    Thanks it's going to be a long task now .
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    Trunk has the VIN tag.
    The sticker under the number plate is always a good check to see if a cars had paint in the past .
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    In for updates. This is uber cool
    Thanks

My Cars
    328i
    ^Every chassis I've ever shoehorned the "wrong" engine into had to be cut, welded, tweaked, and adjusted to get everything right. Doing it with the I6 shell to get the details hammered out is the best way to go if it's an option. It's secretly the reason I haven't hauled my I6 parts car to scrap...some day I'd really like to cram an LS or coyote motor (or something weird like a Cummins) into it.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    ^some day I'd really like to cram an LS or coyote motor (or something weird like a Cummins) into it.
    The LS would be much easier, the Coyote (IIRC) has a more electrical things that the LS doesn't need.
    The LS is more compact too.

Looking good Jon, me thinks you need to slap a set of turbos in it.

My Cars
    328i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    The LS would be much easier, the Coyote (IIRC) has a more electrical things that the LS doesn't need.
    The LS is more compact too.
    You are correct on all points

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    I’d say a Coyote... nothing like that blue oval thunder, short stroke 302 !!

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    The Coyote is good but it's not really anything special, might as well use an LS, the 5.2L Voodoo on the other hand...

Nothing like revving a V8 out to 8500rpm :-)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast