Thread: 91' 318IS electrical issues

My Cars
    2001 740i

91' 318IS electrical issues

I am trying to solve a couple of electrical issues in my 91' 318IS. I am hoping you can lend a hand. The 6 button clock in my car was dead so I got it replaced and first thing I noticed is that it is constantly staying on even when ignition is turned off. I can see a faded outline showing 12:00.

Second issue is left side of my instrument cluster illumination doesn't work most of the time. There is an occasional time when it will come on but most of the time it's dead. All the gauges seem to function correctly, just illumination is messed up.

And lastly my door chime doesn't work. I tried 2 different chimes and neither one seems to work. Is there a way to bench test it?
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    on the chime, is the door switch good? your light comes on when you open the driver's door?

the lights will require you pulling the cluster and checking the connection. they could just have a bad connection so every once in a while you hit a bump or something and they touch and light up.

I don't know about the 6 button but I think they are on all the time, like yours says. I know that even though they are all dead in my cars, I can still see a faint 12 in the section that is not dead. someone else should come on in a bit and confirm that though
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    The door switch is good. I checked both terminals. Lights come on. I traced the wiring on the door chime and I seem to be getting 12 volts leading up to it, just no sound. Hence why I would like to bench test them to see if the chimes themselves are bad. I am just not sure which pins need to be jumped.

As far as the cluster goes, are the lights wired up in series? Like if I have a bad bulb in the middle of the cluster, will that kill every bulb after it?

As far as clock goes, it seems to always read 12:00 after I turn the ignition off. Like the battery is disconnected every time because the clock isn't counting up.
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    Oh, the obc one will require someone else to come help out.

the cluster is not in series. my son had a few out on his and the others worked

for the chime, you might have to check each pin on the car side plug to see which ones provide power and ground
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    or maybe you can find the electrical manual for your model year? I know some sites have those available for free download. I am not sure if its listed in pelican parts technical section. some are there
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    or maybe you can find the electrical manual for your model year? I know some sites have those available for free download. I am not sure if its listed in pelican parts technical section. some are there
    Here is a link to many manuals that I have kept. Maybe you can find what you need here. Good luck!

Manuals

My Cars
    '92 BMW 318i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by bymep View Post
    The door switch is good. I checked both terminals. Lights come on. I traced the wiring on the door chime and I seem to be getting 12 volts leading up to it, just no sound. Hence why I would like to bench test them to see if the chimes themselves are bad. I am just not sure which pins need to be jumped.

As far as the cluster goes, are the lights wired up in series? Like if I have a bad bulb in the middle of the cluster, will that kill every bulb after it?

As far as clock goes, it seems to always read 12:00 after I turn the ignition off. Like the battery is disconnected every time because the clock isn't counting up.
    In re the lights in cluster, no they're independent from each other. I've had a bulb burn out on left half of cluster, removed the cluster and swapped out the bulb and it worked fine. And heads up if you have an airbag you don't necessarily have to remove the steering wheel to get cluster out though it makes it easier. If you do remove steering wheel be sure and disconnect battery and read up on it beforehand. Otherwise you get the blinking red SRS light from hell for all eternity.

My chime has never worked either, with a good door switch. And i'm okay with that.
    '92 318i Cabrio- Alpine White