Thread: Hardtop squeaking

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

Hardtop squeaking

Anyone thinks that adding little grease in the are where hardtop is attaches to the windshield post is a bad idea? My hardtop is tightened pretty good, but it squeaks when I go over bumps at slow 5 mph in the parking lot bumps or changes in road elevation, like driving off an inclinging driveway onto the road. No big deal, just annoying. Thought I got grease all the connecting metal parts.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Are you sure it is squeaking from the front? The front attachment seems pretty solid, and I don't think the installation manual calls for any grease anywhere in the process.

Have you gone through the installation instructions to make sure that it is properly aligned down to the millimeter? I did this and it made a big difference in terms of squeaks, rattles and wind noise.

https://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z...96-to-2002.74/
    Last edited by pine1000; 10-23-2018 at 08:19 AM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Silicone 3m paste

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    Are you sure it is squeaking from the front? The front attachment seems pretty solid, and I don't think the installation manual calls for any grease anywhere in the process.

Have you gone through the installation instructions to make sure that it is properly aligned down to the millimeter? I did this and it made a big difference in terms of squeaks, rattles and wind noise.

https://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z...96-to-2002.74/
    It’s definitely coming from the front driver side pillar, at the joining point with the hard top. The top is pretty snug tight and weather proof. I will take look at the link and see if I need to readjust it, or tighten up something else, like the mounting brackets on the top itself or something. Thank you for the link.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Is the squeaking new? Has anything been done to the top recently?
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I lubed the rubber bits with some Vaseline and replaced the two rubber bumpers a couple months ago and found my top was much quieter. Now that the weather is routinely dropping to temps below 50F, I find it squeaks a bit more--maybe that's due to needing more lubrication. I get some thumping over hard bumps also, but was figuring that is just the legacy of the relatively unsophisticated E30 rear suspension.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Is the squeaking new? Has anything been done to the top recently?
    I think it’s started after last few installs. Perhaps lifting and reinstalling could fix it. Could be the Occam's Razor solution here. Will know better over weekend. The only time I get to work on the car.
    Last edited by DimrBimmer; 10-23-2018 at 11:16 PM.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    I ask because if it has been removed for painting or other service, the rubber feet sometimes come off or do not get reinstalled and that leads to squeaking.

Kelvin

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    I ask because if it has been removed for painting or other service, the rubber feet sometimes come off or do not get reinstalled and that leads to squeaking.

I saw this picture in another post. I think someone was missing those or looking for replacement and if memory serves me right there was a link to ecs was provided for replacement that was pretty cheap. I am pretty sure mine are in their place, but I was looking to pick up a replacement just to have. Thanks for the tip, but it is definitely coming from the front. Might need to just re-sit it and possibly readjust some of the mounting brackets. The top was acquired separate from the car. And although it came from non-M z3 and different year, I am pretty sure that they are all the same. However, when installing we only adjusted the back and not the front of the top. Original owner was nice enough to help me mount it on the spot.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Found the problem with my squeaking hardtop. Good thing I did before the wind. Mounting bracket on the hardtop has 3 little screws. All 3 were very loose. Got to go pick up some blue loctite and resist those back on. But prior to should probably clean those mounting brackets for some minor rust.