Thread: Any recent thoughts on BavAuto springs?

My Cars
    '78 320i

Any recent thoughts on BavAuto springs?

I think these are more of a legacy mod for the e21 ten years back, I could be mistaken. Most folks go with stock, coilovers or H&R.
    I stumbled in to decent to new Bilstein b8 sports with Bav Auto Springs for the rear set. New pads and rubber mounting from the looks of it too.

Long story short I think I could save some money using these, just curious what folks think for them.
    I don't track and I'm honestly a layman for suspension so I wouldn't notice nuanced differences I imagine.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i S
    My car's previous owner installed a set of BAS springs with Bilstein sport shocks. My impression? Car sits a noticeably amount lower (cannot compare before and after). I'm using 205/50 - 15 tires on 7" wide wheels and don't have any clearance problems. The car rides firm, but not harsh (subjective.) My wife can ride in it all day and not complain about the ride. (We're 60+) I've had had H & R (on a BMW/MINI Cooper S (yeah, I know, different car),wasn't happy with them at all, and got rid of them.

I've never had any reason to replace the BAS with anything else. They're also red. I'm happy. Hope this helps.

My Cars
    '78 320i
    This does help. I think we're close to the same. My e39 has these Sachs springs that were intended for towing (I think) and it took about 10k miles for them to soften up. Before that, I was loosing my teeth. Dont want that same experience for my e21

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

They are good,take it slow on bumps, you feel more of the road than stocks yet not harsh, I'm running them in front and back. They lower the car 1.5" all the way around.

Randy

My Cars
    '07 e92
    I put one of their kits in, which is the BAS springs and Bilstein Sport inserts and shocks. The roads are completely awful around here mostly due to the winters. When I first installed the kit, I also put on 14" wheels and BF Goodrich Super Sport AS tires. The car rode awful. I limited the amount I drove the car because it beat the crap out of me and I was afraid it was eventually going to shake the dash apart and/or crack plastic interior parts. It was that bad.

I ASSumed it was the BAS springs and Billies causing this.

Then I changed the tires out for some super cheap, completely crap-tacular Hankook touring tires as part of my battle with the 45 mph shimmy. The car rides awesome now, just a little stiffer and sportier than stock, which I like, without beating the crap out of you, which I REALLY like given the road conditions around here. I only type all this because in my case tire choice had a WAY bigger effect on ride quality than the BAS springs and Billies did. If you're on any of the current 13" or 14" tire choices, which are all touring tires (except maybe the $$ Vredesteins), you shouldn't see a whole lot worse ride quality. Like Randy said, they take out ~1.5", the car really looks right now. I have no experience with any other aftermarket springs.
    "Wally" Casten - 1956 Austin-Healey 100, 1985 M-B 300SD, 1987 911 Carrera, 1997 Triumph T509

"The more things change, the more they SUCK" -Butt-Head (Mike Judge)

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Exactly the input I was looking for. I know these items are subjective and based driver to driver but I feel more confident about the springs.