Thread: 2009 X5 35d Recurring Emissions System Problems

My Cars
    2009 X5 35d, 2008 135i

2009 X5 35d Recurring Emissions System Problems

Hi, I have a 2009 X5 35d that has had recurring issues with emissions system (EGR/SCR parts) ever since BMW started recalling parts in 2014. Parts are repeatedly failing at great expense to me. BMW Canada has assisted a few times with repair cost, but mostly just insists that "the car is out of warranty, sorry". The entire emissions system is warranteed in the US for 10 years, but unfortunately this is not the case in Canada (although they have recently extended the warranty on just the SCR Active Tank to 10 years). BMW knows this is a problem but not doing enough to help - the entire system should be warranteed in Canada as well.

My question is: has anyone else had repeated failures (of both replaced and also new/related parts in the diesel emissions system)? I am not sure whether my car is an exception or the norm - but either way it's unacceptable. I am interested to know if others have had these same recurring problems so that I may use that knowledge when I deal with BMW and MOT; also, if anyone knows if they have fixed the problems in more recent diesel models.

As i intend to drive this vehicle for at least a few more years, I feel like the better route to take is to go through BMW itself (and Ministry of Transportation, possibly), rather than taking it to a mechanic and "deleting" the systems.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by HLB9 View Post
    Hi, I have a 2009 X5 35d that has had recurring issues with emissions system (EGR/SCR parts) ever since BMW started recalling parts in 2014. Parts are repeatedly failing at great expense to me. BMW Canada has assisted a few times with repair cost, but mostly just insists that "the car is out of warranty, sorry". The entire emissions system is warranteed in the US for 10 years, but unfortunately this is not the case in Canada (although they have recently extended the warranty on just the SCR Active Tank to 10 years). BMW knows this is a problem but not doing enough to help - the entire system should be warranteed in Canada as well.

My question is: has anyone else had repeated failures (of both replaced and also new/related parts in the diesel emissions system)? I am not sure whether my car is an exception or the norm - but either way it's unacceptable. I am interested to know if others have had these same recurring problems so that I may use that knowledge when I deal with BMW and MOT; also, if anyone knows if they have fixed the problems in more recent diesel models.

As i intend to drive this vehicle for at least a few more years, I feel like the better route to take is to go through BMW itself (and Ministry of Transportation, possibly), rather than taking it to a mechanic and "deleting" the systems.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
    If you go to bimmerfest or e90post and read the diesel subforums there (the e90post one is the most extensive resource on the www), you'll find you're not alone. The x5d is a bit more reliable than the 335i.

FYI, the "entire" system is *not* warrantied in the USA; only the DEF tank and NOx sensors.

The 328d F30 and 535d (and the new x5) have different/re-designed emissions parts; they did it for reliability.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I was just reading about the extended warranty on the scr tank and it said I believe that even if the scr tank had been replaced in the extended warranty if the car was still under time or miles of the extended warranty the tank could be warranted again

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5
    I have had many problems. My SCR tank was replaced a while ago and so was my EGR valve.

Just last month, the car wouldn't drive and they found they had to replace the EGR valve again and the DDE unit at a cost to me of $2000.

I just saw there is a new EGR recall for the US so I am going to see if I can be reimbursed.

The crazy thing is my 2010 X5 35D only has 55k miles on it.

My Cars
    ford
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I was just reading about the extended warranty on the scr tank and it said I believe that even if the scr tank had been replaced in the extended warranty if the car was still under time or miles of the extended warranty the tank could be warranted again
    awesome. thanks. its throwing a active tank temperature sensor error for a year now. will see, might get them to change it. been living with it

my passive had gone bad first, and i ended up paying to replace it.. then few days later the active tank did the same..
    vidmate
    Last edited by 74San; 11-02-2018 at 07:28 AM.

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    OP. you need to specify what parts have been replaced and what fails repeatedly. Could be a technician's error too.

My Cars
    2010 X5 36d, 2005 M3
    Can you tell me if you got it repaired finally and is it OK now. My 2010 has been giving bad or wrong DEF fluid added and now less than 200 miles to drive before NO start, can you give me some help? Thanks, Jim in TN
    But always BMW DEF fluid used---

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown5402 View Post
    Can you tell me if you got it repaired finally and is it OK now. My 2010 has been giving bad or wrong DEF fluid added and now less than 200 miles to drive before NO start, can you give me some help? Thanks, Jim in TN
    But always BMW DEF fluid used---

You've got a problem with the sensors/pumps/cats/injectors in the DEF system. Gonna have to have a tech straighten it out.