My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by jmile46 View Post
    I did not think of that! And part numbers are different! Attachment 640173
    Original is 60/28/302

Reman is 60/22/302
    Attachment 640174

So what is this telling me?

Edit: I now see that my calipers are in fact 540i! Welp that explains my issue here. Thats pretty cool though! Lol. But in terms of the new pads I bought, will those not fit now?! Or do pads remain the same?

Pads are same for 525 & 540. The difference is the thickness of the rotors, 22mm. (525, 530, 535) v 28 mm. (540) A thicker rotor with better heat dissipation for heavier 540. Worth noting that the ~ just as heavy 530(V-8) has the smaller brakes

The #s on the caliper casting indicate bore size, 60mm / rotor thickness, 22 or 28 / rotor diameter, 302mm

I wondered what the hell you meant when saying the ones you got were too small.

As long as the mounting bracket and rotors are appropriate you can switch one size for the other. There is no benefit to this aside better resistance to fading with repeated stops. Braking performance is same, the 540 brakes will just take longer to overheat with repeated hard use.
    Last edited by ross1; 11-11-2018 at 08:54 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Pads are same for 525 & 540. The difference is the thickness of the rotors, 22mm. (525, 530, 535) v 28 mm. (540) A thicker rotor with better heat dissipation for heavier 540. Worth noting that the ~ just as heavy 530(V-8) has the smaller brakes

The #s on the caliper casting indicate bore size, 60mm / rotor thickness, 22 or 28 / rotor diameter, 302mm

I wondered what the hell you meant when saying the ones you got were too small.

As long as the mounting bracket and rotors are appropriate you can switch one size for the other. There is no benefit to this aside better resistance to fading with repeated stops. Braking performance is same, the 540 brakes will just take longer to overheat with repeated hard use.
    Ah good to know! Yup I double checked about the pads. I picked up the caliper last night so finally I can wrap up this job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Well brakes are all finished up. To my disappointment, the car is still pulling right. I lifted the fronts and both sides spin about the same.( which isn’t much). Given I still need an alignment. Im kind of at a loss here. Im going to flip flop wheels tomorrow.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by jmile46 View Post
    Well brakes are all finished up. To my disappointment, the car is still pulling right. I lifted the fronts and both sides spin about the same.( which isn’t much). Given I still need an alignment. Im kind of at a loss here. Im going to flip flop wheels tomorrow.
    This seems to be the elephant in the room. Braking changes the suspension geometry, properly aligned it won't steer the car, if way out it can.
    Everything is bled correctly? You are welcome to come over and use my power bleeder if you suspect not.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    This seems to be the elephant in the room. Braking changes the suspension geometry, properly aligned it won't steer the car, if way out it can.
    Everything is bled correctly? You are welcome to come over and use my power bleeder if you suspect not.
    I mean I replaced the tie rods and center drag link and adjusted the tie rods by eye so Im sure they are pretty far off. But despite changing everything the pull to right still has the same force it did at the beginning, if that makes sense. It didn’t decrease or anything.

Im pretty sure they are bled properly! Thank you for the offer, Ill keep it in mind though.

As of now, one thing that came to mind is I replaced my left front wheel bearing/ hub a couple months ago. But Im not sure that would cause such an imbalance.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Does it pull without braking? Rotated tires?

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Does it pull without braking? Rotated tires?
    Yes it pulls without touching brakes. I take back my initial title name, under braking it remains the same. Braking does not make it worse. And Im pretty busy this week. Won’t get the chance to rotate tires till the weekend. IMG_0523.jpg

I noticed my right caliper looks like this. Notice on left side the darker tint to it. I bedded the new pads. Im not sure what this means.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Ughh, stupid me chasing problems when the simplest diagnosis, which I was told to do early on, ended up being the culprit. I swapped my front tires and what do ya know, car pulled left. Took wheel back off and noticed that when sitting it up and rolling it was extremely tilted towards face of wheels. Almost like it needs 3 pounds of weights on the inner part of barrel. Im not sure what the hell is wrong with it but as a temporary fix I threw it onto the back and voila, no more pulling. For needing an alignment the car drives pretty damn straight! I have new wheels im putting on in coming weeks so Im not worried about it.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Sometimes it's only after years of stupid tail-chasing (not that kind...) that a mechanic - this one, anyway - gets good at implementing Occam's Razor. Live and learn. Glad you found the problem.

What I'm picturing as you describe that wheel is something I would not mount anywhere on the car. If you drive on it at all, be slow and extra-careful with that wobbly WTF on.
    Last edited by moroza; 11-19-2018 at 04:01 AM.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Sometimes it's only after years of stupid tail-chasing (not that kind...) that a mechanic - this one, anyway - gets good at implementing Occam's Razor. Live and learn. Glad you found the problem.

What I'm picturing as you describe that wheel is something I would not mount anywhere on the car. Drive slow and extra-careful with that wobbly WTF on.
    LOL! Yeah now I know. I truly don’t understand whats up with it. Very face heavy. Tires are kind of old so who knows. They will be off in a week or so anyway.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123