Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Ultimate Leaking Machine

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    My car has a diaper for those overnight "accidents".
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Haha! My old MGB’s and Mini Coopers all had cork gaskets, the MG’s developed leaks more often than the Coopers. Those British engineers always wanted to keep you dripping....
    There's a few variations on an old joke there, aka "How do you know a British car needs oil? It stops leaking."

Though pound for pound I'm not sure there's anything that gives a truly-long-neglected high-miles M62TU run for its money. If you really do it right(wrong) you'll have valve covers oozing, upper timing covers oozing, VANOS solenoids oozing, rear main seal oozing, oil pan dripping... Add in coolant from the valley pan and crossover manifold and a failing water pump and cracked radiator and then power steering hoses leaking from both ends, and you're really in business...

That said, my motor is tidy as can be these days, just gotta stay ahead of things.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 M5; 2006 525xi

Leaking valve cover gasket causes a TIDAL WAVE of oil... very suddenly

Was it something I said?

I posted some stuff a day or 2 ago and it hasn't appeared yet. Maybe the moderator is on vaca... or maybe I didn't click POST...

In case my earlier post is lost in the ether, my son's 2003 530i started smoking like CRAZY while on the highway... just BILLOWING stinky oil smoke. He lost over 3.5 quarts of oil... Car went into limp mode due, I assume, to low oil. Big mess all over the exhaust, all the way back to the differential, and even sprayed around the engine compartment. Looked like the valve cover gasket, but MAN... how can it lose that much oil that fast that suddenly? My wife's E60 was dripping a little, so I got fair warning when starting the car and getting a brief oil stink.

This appeared to be leaking in the rear exhaust side - same as my wife's. But also from up by the vanos, and around by Cyl 1. Spark plug number 1 was swimming in oil, apparently long enough to kill the rubber boot.

I replaced the gasket. Still smoking. Fearing rings and burning oil, but that didn't make sense unless he killed the rings due to low oil. I think the spike in smoke was from stepping on the gas and heating the 2nd cat. But in the mirror, it sure looked like bad rings or valve stem seals...

I put the car on the ramps and wiped down EVERYTHING under there. What a mess. The continuing smoke was from the leftovers, which I hadn't expected to last that long. Still some puffs from the flange area between cat and rearward pipe, but appears to be no more leak.

What a mess.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Uh, that's not a valve cover gasket, I suspect. Low oil will cause a "check oil level" warning. "Engine Failsafe Mode" is entirely different. Was there a high-pressure VANOS oil line failure?
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by as400jockey View Post
    Was it something I said?

I posted some stuff a day or 2 ago and it hasn't appeared yet. Maybe the moderator is on vaca... or maybe I didn't click POST...

In case my earlier post is lost in the ether, my son's 2003 530i started smoking like CRAZY while on the highway... just BILLOWING stinky oil smoke. He lost over 3.5 quarts of oil... Car went into limp mode due, I assume, to low oil. Big mess all over the exhaust, all the way back to the differential, and even sprayed around the engine compartment. Looked like the valve cover gasket, but MAN... how can it lose that much oil that fast that suddenly? My wife's E60 was dripping a little, so I got fair warning when starting the car and getting a brief oil stink.

This appeared to be leaking in the rear exhaust side - same as my wife's. But also from up by the vanos, and around by Cyl 1. Spark plug number 1 was swimming in oil, apparently long enough to kill the rubber boot.

I replaced the gasket. Still smoking. Fearing rings and burning oil, but that didn't make sense unless he killed the rings due to low oil. I think the spike in smoke was from stepping on the gas and heating the 2nd cat. But in the mirror, it sure looked like bad rings or valve stem seals...

I put the car on the ramps and wiped down EVERYTHING under there. What a mess. The continuing smoke was from the leftovers, which I hadn't expected to last that long. Still some puffs from the flange area between cat and rearward pipe, but appears to be no more leak.

What a mess.
    Your son failed to check the proper control indicators during the cycle I'm afraid. (Ha. RPG joke).

I'm with Nate. Way too much mess to be typical VC failure. 3.5 quarts!? I mean you're right it will burn off for a long time... But that amount of leakage is crazy.

Suggest to start your own thread too BTW.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Seconding the suggestion: a massive oil leak suggested a pressurized system failure. The most common failure is the oil filter housing gasket. The VANOS oil hose is also a common leak point, but it tends to seep out rather than spray at high volume.

A valve cover leak won't normally dump lots of oil. The slight negative pressure from the CCV minimizes leaks while the engine is running. A small volume of oil then drains out when the engine is shut off. Keep in mind that that it might not be simply a leaking gasket, the valve cover itself is known to crack from improper installation or age. Usually that is a invisible crack following an internal support rib, but you might have lost an entire corner from age.

My guess is that you have two problems, a minor long-term valve cover leak and an immediate crisis leak.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Brought my 2013 X5 50i (with N63 engine) to local BMW dealer this morning due to excessive oil burning issue, just got call that from the dealer that valve stem seals need to be replaced and BMW is covering that cost, in addition, steering rack is leaking oil so it also needs to be replaced, one tie rod end is sized and might need to be replaced, 2 front tires are worn and needs to be replaced, alignment needs to be done. Since valve stem seal job is covered by BMW, the rest of repair will cost $6000, I happen to have Carmax warranty so steering rack is covered by that, 2 front tires cost $980 and alignment cost $250.

I will buy tires somewhere else, I paid $300 to Just Tires for 3 year alignment package so I will take my car there to get alignment done after I got new tires.

My Cars
    E39 540I
    Just went through this with my E39. Valve cover, upper timing and oil pan gaskets, water tube and accumulator seals,valley pan, pretty much every piece of rubber. I also replaced the center link, outer tie rods, sway bar bushes and links and the control arms.
    The thing is once these are done, you have a car that is just so nice to drive, it is better than any shitbox available. Now about the upper radiator hose leak at the radiator lol.

E39540v8
    Last edited by E39540V8; 01-29-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123