Thread: 2000 BMW 323ci Convertible swap regular seat parts into sport seats?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323ci Conv

2000 BMW 323ci Convertible swap regular seat parts into sport seats?

Hi, the motor, track, switch, and lumbar support for the drivers seat on my 2000 bmw convertible 323ci have died and need to be replaced as the car seat is all the way back and won't move. I found a salvage yard that has the a seat from the same make and model (2000 bmw 323ci convertible) in working condition, but it is not a sports seat. The upholstery is shredded so I really just want to harvest the track, switch, motor, and lumbar support gear and get it to work in my sport seat. Does anyone know if this would work or do I need to get the parts from a sports seat and the same model?

I called several BMW parts departments and they were unsure as the part numbers are different but I don't know if that would matter and one of them suggested I ask the question here.
    I've been searching car-part.com but only for 2000 model year, does anyone know if other model years would also work?
    Please help!!!!

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Yes, this will work. You will have to swap some parts around but the frame, rails and motor of the seat are all the same, there are only a few parts that are unique to the sport seat. This site is a tremendous resource:

http://www.realoem.com/

Specifically, the seat assembly part information is here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...MW-323Ci&mg=52

Welcome to the forum and I see that you're practically my neighbor.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323ci Conv
    Thanks much for your prompt response. One of the BMW parts service techs I called did point me to that site, but I'm not very mechanically inclined so am not as sure what I'm looking at. What are the mechanical parts that are different from the sport seat and base seat? If it's really nothing major then i'd feel much better taking the risk with the base seat. I guess it would make sense that BMW service techs wouldn't really know the answer because they're never going to use aftermarket parts in their day job.

I think I might be able to get a sport seat, but it's in Oregon and would cost 5x as much to get to the east coast and take who knows how long it will take to arrive, but the install should be much easier. (Either way, my mechanic will do it.)

My Cars
    1998 328i
    If you look at the assemblies on the second link I posted, you will see the various sub-assemblies. One is the seat base for non-sport and another is the seat base of the sport. There is only one frame assembly shown, (even though there are different combinations of adjustments) so you would just have to change this out. Honestly, this would be a ideal project to take on even if you aren't very mechanically inclined because you can disassemble the junk yard seat and see how everything goes together before you touch your car. If you still aren't comfortable, then you turn it over to your mechanic and let him fix it but once you see how everything comes apart, it is just a matter of changing out parts.

If you do take this on, disconnect the battery of the car before removing the seat and leave it disconnected until the seat is back in place and all connectors are fastened or you will have created an air bag error which takes a special tool to reset.