Thread: Need help recovering DME please! No start, but module responding.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i

Need help recovering DME please! No start, but module responding.

2008 335i E90

My DME essentially has a bad flash after power interruption. It will crank, but not start. The good news is, the DME is visible and reporting in what little I have done in INPA and ISTA to gather information to make this post. However, I was only able to get the DME errors from ISTA and not INPA. What I am hoping is that I can use WinKFP to flash the same current firmware, or go ahead and flash an update(if there is one). Information is as follows:

I was about to start programming some keyfobs, but I made two mistakes before getting that far:
    1) I was working from my brand new laptop and forgot to turn off tap-to-click, so I didn't catch that I chose to pull the ISN from the DME instead of CAS
    2) I forgot that sticking the key in sets the car to ready(run), and I hit the start button afterwards which actually put it back into accessory. I didn't catch this prior to flashing and the power cut off automatically from the exit timer. in the middle of the flash to pull the ISN from the DME.

Here are the codes I am getting out of ISTA 4.10, which come back immediately after clearing - except for codes 00D13E and 00A0B3 which don't come back until after a start attempt after clearing.

I-levels and ISTA Fault Summary:

ISTA Module Tree:

INPA UIF Information(VIN spliced out):

INPA UIF Error, which shows nothing for the DME for some reason:

INPA MS80 Identification:

My belief is all these are actually related to the partial flash on the DME as no other modules should have been touched, but I could be wrong and that is why I am here for help before just guessing and trying things. Below are my questions and assumptions I have put together from my research on similar situations. Any help working through them and/or confirming would be greatly appreaciated.

I belive the plan of attack would be to flash over the failed data on the DME, using either the same current version or an updated one(if need be for some reason), but again I am here for help to determine that or what the fix might be otherwise.

Pre-requisites and prep:
    WinKFP - got it
    Daten files - got v60
    Pull UIF info to know what versions are on each module - done
    Disconnect EGS transmission module to prevent pinging DME during flash - got it covered
    Pull fuel pumps fuses or relays to keep draw down and keep them from heating up/damaging with no fuel running through - got it covered
    Power supply or hook to another vehicle to reach programming voltage of 13.5V or more, while also feeding in anywhere from 20-70A - I've got charger that puts out 40A, or can use my Jeep and 4ga cables

Process:
    1) Do I need to make any module backups first with NCSExpert(trx files)? Or is that just a coding thing before modifying and not necessary here?
    2) Use WinKFP in Comfort Mode to flash the DME, either choosing the same version or letting it choose automatically for an updated one(if available).
    3) I know that if an updated version is flashed to the DME, then MSD and EKP modules also need to be flashed. However, do they also need to be re-flashed with their same version if the DME is flashed with the same version or can they just be left alone in this case?
    4) Are there any other modules that shold be flashed?
    5) Do any and all modules flashed need to then be flashed with the VO via NCSExpert? Or is this also just a coding thing?
    6) Clear previous errors again?
    7) Will the DME and CAS need to be re-aligned? Any other modules need to be re-aligned with each other?
    8) Reset engine adaptations in INPA or ISTA since DME was flashed, making sure wait for a lil bit after powering vehicle on before starting once everything is complete
    Last edited by NashN54; 10-22-2018 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Doh! Fixed Images...

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i
    Bump - images fixed.

Sorry for all that jiberish! All the images loaded into the window just fine, but I didn't realize this forum wouldn't host them once actually submitted for post. I put them in as thumbnails since I had so many and the post was quite long for help request.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I doubt you can brick this dme easily.
    What tools got you in this mess in the first place?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you have a ZB number from original dme flash for your car, you can try to flash that with Winkfp, and you will be back to normal.

For the most part, you are overcomplicating the process. Don't over think it. It seems you are doing research from a lot of less experienced sources, and causing some confusion.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 10-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    1- I believe the battery charger has to be able to supply a continuous non pulsatile charge with a minimum rating of 70 amp (quiet expensive)
    www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php%3ft=825495&amp=1
    2- If winkfp doesn’t work you may need to use NFS emergency flash
    3- It might be more time and $$ saving to pull the DME out and either program the micro chip directly using R270 or similar software and a dump file. The alternative would be to send the DME out for programming at one of the companys that provide this service.
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-28-2018 at 12:06 PM.

My Cars
    2003 M5, E93 335i/6
    I would try running the recode through ISTA /P - It's intelligent enough to enter the DME into the boot loader and flash from there automatically.
    -Chris

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by tekoo View Post
    1- I believe the battery charger has to be able to supply a continuous non pulsatile charge with a minimum rating of 70 amp (quiet expensive)
    www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php%3ft=825495&=1
    2- If winkfp doesn’t work you may need to use NFS emergency flash
    3- It might be more time and $$ saving to pull the DME out and either program the micro chip directly using R270 or similar software and a dump file. The alternative would be to send the DME out for programming at one of the companys that provide this service.
    1. Technically that's the by the book answer. Practically? Just flash it on battery, you'll be fine. DME itself draws approximately 0.5 A
    2. NFS Emergency Flash doesn't really do anything that WinKFP can't. But WinKFP should be able to take care of this. For that matter, ISTA/P doesn't really do anything special either.
    3. Not possible on this DME without flashing some software over the OBDII port first.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 10-29-2018 at 09:12 PM.