Thread: Ebay single mass steel flywheel

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw

Ebay single mass steel flywheel

About due for a new clutch and flywheel combo. My car is pretty much stock and probably won't ever have more than basic bolt ons. I've gone over various threads talking about single mass vs dual mass. Now, I'm leaning toward a single mass for the unsprung weight advantage. I ran a lightweight flywheel on my e39 540i 6spd and other than the chatter is was awesome.

Has anyone run this eBay steel single mass flywheel? Thoughts, concerns? Seems like a solid deal at $225. Any reason not to run this vs the more expensive ones?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLATINUM-BM...ox!98466!US!-1

My Cars
    E36 325is
    I have had several problems with gripforce clutches. The discs just fall apart.

I've found you can use a m30 3.2 clutch disc since it's a sprung 240mm disc, matched with a OEM Sachs e36 M3 pressure plate.

The problem is you need to find a disc that will fit inside the flywheel. A e34 m5 disc doesn't fit inside a Ebay flywheel.

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    So I just couldn't just put a eBay single mass on a OEM Sachs clutch kit? It takes some modifications?

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynegro View Post
    So I just couldn't just put a eBay single mass on a OEM Sachs clutch kit? It takes some modifications?
    The problem is you need a sprung clutch disc with a single mass and all e36s used DM flywheels with solid discs.
    With a JB racing flywheel you can run a e34 M5 clutch disc with a e36 m3 pressure plate.
    If you going to go with a Ebay FX flywheel you'll need to use a smaller hub sprung clutch disc because there isn't enough clearance for the larger sprung hub. Keep in mind the clutch disc has to be installed with the protruding part of the sprung disc towards the flywheel, which technically is backwards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    Quote Originally Posted by stpetebiodiesel View Post
    The problem is you need a sprung clutch disc with a single mass and all e36s used DM flywheels with solid discs.
    With a JB racing flywheel you can run a e34 M5 clutch disc with a e36 m3 pressure plate.
    If you going to go with a Ebay FX flywheel you'll need to use a smaller hub sprung clutch disc because there isn't enough clearance for the larger sprung hub. Keep in mind the clutch disc has to be installed with the protruding part of the sprung disc towards the flywheel, which technically is backwards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    So with the eBay flywheel what would the be the recommended smaller hub sprung clutch disc to run? Is the eBay flywheel a odd ball and should be avoided for something more conventional like a JB, Fidanza, etc?
    Last edited by Waynegro; 10-27-2018 at 11:17 PM.

My Cars
    are slow.
    So with the eBay flywheel what would the be the recommended smaller hub sprung clutch disc to run? Is the eBay flywheel a odd ball and should be avoided for something more conventional like a JB, Fidanza, etc?
    As said above: m30 3.2 clutch disc since it's a sprung 240mm disc, matched with a OEM Sachs e36 M3 pressure plate.

I've run 2 of the gripforce stage 2 kits, I've never had a problem with the given clutch and flywheel. The included throwout bearing and pilot bearings are trash though, go OE on those, and make sure to grab a new pivot pin.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    As said above: m30 3.2 clutch disc since it's a sprung 240mm disc, matched with a OEM Sachs e36 M3 pressure plate.

I've run 2 of the gripforce stage 2 kits, I've never had a problem with the given clutch and flywheel. The included throwout bearing and pilot bearings are trash though, go OE on those, and make sure to grab a new pivot pin.
    Ok nice, is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? Will the OE pilot bearing, throw out bearing, etc match up okay with the m30 clutch disk?

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stpetebiodiesel View Post
    The problem is you need a sprung clutch disc with a single mass
    Why? Plenty of performance clutches are unsprung, and single mass flywheel.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Why? Plenty of performance clutches are unsprung, and single mass flywheel.
    So can I run the Sachs OEM clutch kit with the eBay single mass? Everyone else is saying it must be a sprung clutch

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    So can I run the Sachs OEM clutch kit with the eBay single mass? Everyone else is saying it must be a sprung clutch
    Unless someone knows otherwise, the only issue I can see is driveline shock/harshness … but like I said, almost every performance/race clutch setup uses an unsprung clutch disc with single mass (steel or alu) flywheels.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Dont cheap out with a Chinese single mass kit, you will end up spending more in the long run, and if installed incorrectly (which is ridiculously common for GripForce kits), you will have to cut open the transmission to separate the now welded clutch disk & pilot bearing from your input shaft... look it up. I see it happening all the time in local groups....

I feel the money I spent on the UUC E34 M5 flywheel & OEM clutch/PP was worth it. It feels very close to stock, but is obviously quite a bit lighter than the stock dual mass setup. It doesnt have much noise or chatter at idle, or under low RPM, high load scenarios. My OEM clutch lasted 160k, and still had plenty of life left when it was removed. That was a big factor in my decision to continue with OEM parts, with a slight upgrade to the flywheel. BMW OEM parts are some of the best quality I have ever encountered as an enthusiast. I have a hard time relating to any decision to put inferior quality and performance parts on these wonderful cars, even if it saves me a lot of money up front.

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post
    Dont cheap out with a Chinese single mass kit, you will end up spending more in the long run, and if installed incorrectly (which is ridiculously common for GripForce kits), you will have to cut open the transmission to separate the now welded clutch disk & pilot bearing from your input shaft... look it up. I see it happening all the time in local groups....

I feel the money I spent on the UUC E34 M5 flywheel & OEM clutch/PP was worth it. It feels very close to stock, but is obviously quite a bit lighter than the stock dual mass setup. It doesnt have much noise or chatter at idle, or under low RPM, high load scenarios. My OEM clutch lasted 160k, and still had plenty of life left when it was removed. That was a big factor in my decision to continue with OEM parts, with a slight upgrade to the flywheel. BMW OEM parts are some of the best quality I have ever encountered as an enthusiast. I have a hard time relating to any decision to put inferior quality and performance parts on these wonderful cars, even if it saves me a lot of money up front.
    Well said!