Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smallest Vortech V2 supercharger pulley

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    The m50 is actually better in many ways.
    Yes, yes, this is group think. But I'm a bit outside the box kind of dude. The M50 flows more up top, without question. However, the Schrick flows way more than stock, and you keep all the low/mid-range torque. As a bonus it is a direct bolt on fit, you dont have to buy a $300 kit to make it work, and if you port and polish the Schrick like I have it flows even better... It's about where you want the power, how you drive like every other choice with putting a engine system together. I did my homework, I made my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    +3
    Nein! lol

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    The air to air IC will make it harder to reach 20 psi due to the restriction from the added plumbing and length, but I would try it and see where you end up.
    I'm gonna shoot for 20# but if I end up 16#-18# it will be cool with me. I will check on the stronger spring, or maybe I can adapt the vortech bypass mondo to 1.5". IDK
    Last edited by bubbafett; 10-28-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    Yes, yes, this is group think. But I'm a bit outside the box kind of dude. The M50 flows more up top, without question. However, the Schrick flows way more than stock, and you keep all the low/mid-range torque. As a bonus it is a direct bolt on fit, you dont have to buy a $300 kit to make it work, and if you port and polish the Schrick like I have it flows even better... It's about where you want the power, how you drive like every other choice with putting a engine system together. I did my homework, I made my choice.

Nein! lol
    It also retains heat better then the m50, but I hear ya. You have so use it.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Bro I have a Schrick...
    This.

That is a nice setup. I still prefer the water/air IC. With the Schrick, you could build an intercooler that bolts right onto the manifold.

- - - Updated - - -

It also retains heat better then the m50, but I hear ya. You have so use it.
    It could be coated. That would be sweet. Phenolic spacer for the mating surface, too.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    RMS and a couple of others fabricated one-off water air charge cooler manifolds for the E36 like you see on VF and ESS E46M3 supercharger kits. I always liked that idea. Not cheap, though.

My Cars
    skateboard
    RMS and a couple of others fabricated one-off water air charge cooler manifolds for the E36 like you see on VF and ESS E46M3 supercharger kits. I always liked that idea. Not cheap, though.
    I don't recall RMS making them to fit the VF kits, but I know Max Psi did one for a customer.

My Cars
    a bunch of broken ones

Nein! lol

I'm gonna shoot for 20# but if I end up 16#-18# it will be cool with me. I will check on the stronger spring, or maybe I can adapt the vortech bypass mondo to 1.5". IDK
    A couple of observations since I went through this exercise as well.
    1. You can correct the mid range with timing since you likely will not be making enough boost to hurt anything.
    2. You want more flow uptop since that is where most of the boost will be so the schrick manifold looks cool, and you will likely catch a few fanboys with it at the next C&C but if you are after the most out of a vortech, go to a stock m50 mani.
    3. Maximum psi is also a function of how well the downstream is flowing as well as how much intercooler piping you have.

Last edited by Smee123; 10-29-2018 at 03:13 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I don't recall RMS making them to fit the VF kits, but I know Max Psi did one for a customer.
    I don’t think it was for a VF kit but rather for an extended crank pulley kit like Dinan or RMS. They made only a few. I saw a picture of one that was a prototype and used an E36 manifold to head flange and one that used an E36M3 to E46M3 adapter flange to fit an E46M3 chargecooler manifold.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Yeah, even the regular RMS water/air setup is $2500. Don't even want to know what the manifold-integrated one cost.
    A member here built one himself, and offered to sell it to me back when I was doing my setup. I think he wanted $2500 for that.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
    ...Don't even want to know what the manifold-integrated one cost...
    Has anyone tried/considered 3-d printing the manifold for w-a?

I was also looking into this option as well when I had an opportunity to 3-d print at material cost (= free) with equivalent material, but I quickly learned that the intake manifold (in general) is too big to be printed as one piece unless printed in two pieces then sandwiched them together. And I would be curious to hear thoughts and opinions from anyone with experience or knowledge.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    Has anyone tried/considered 3-d printing the manifold for w-a?

I was also looking into this option as well when I had an opportunity to 3-d print at material cost (= free) with equivalent material, but I quickly learned that the intake manifold (in general) is too big to be printed as one piece unless printed in two pieces then sandwiched them together. And I would be curious to hear thoughts and opinions from anyone with experience or knowledge.
    It would probably be more practical to have a machine shop mill one for you. You'd probably be right at or slightly over the build volume limit for a 3D printer with the length alone. Then you'd still need two halves for the width. So you might end up with four pieces.
    A good machine shop could make the flange/runner part, and then you or a professional fabricator could make the rest out of sheet aluminum. Or just fabricate the whole thing out of aluminum.

This guy built his own V6 manifold with help from a fabricator for about $1700
    http://unclenard.com/modifications/c...take-manifold/
    Last edited by 1000hp; 11-01-2018 at 06:00 PM.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Have you confirmed that the ISR kit requires the 4.0bar FPR?
    Braymond141 just found this and thought you might like to see it. from: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...psi-CARB-LEGAL

Quote Originally Posted by nate325 View Post
    Philip, you know I have a ton of respect for you, but I have spent numerous hours on the phone calling Dinan when I first bought this kit and I have IN FACT confirmed it is their 10psi offering. Some of the parts have changed, yes, and no the Dinan 5.5" crank pulley is not necessary to hit the 10psi level. Dinan uses their standard #28.8 injectors + an upgraded 4bar fpr for fueling at 10psi. The stage 1 uses the standard 3.5bar FPR. This is straight from the mouth of Dan @ Dinan who confirmed what I had with the ECU VIN number and instructed me on what parts I was missing. I never said I bought everything 100% intact from Dinan.

Now, it's possible this is just something Dinan tuned and Dan passed of on me as something they offered. But I'm not sitting here making up some huge lie that I called Dan and was told to buy said parts to fit the components that matched the VIN he had on file. In my first calls to him he absolutely denied the existence of any other kit than the stage 1 and had no clue why the stage 1 belt sizing wouldn't fit. Only after giving him the VIN number did he say I had a 10psi kit and knew it was aftercooled. It's only because of him that I bought the 4bar FPR and it's only because of him that I found out I had a 10psi pulley setup requiring the 532 belt.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Braymond141 just found this and thought you might like to see it. from: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...psi-CARB-LEGAL
    That's my post bubba, I was using my cousins account. Dinan used a 4.0bar FPR for guys wanting 10psi who were at 6.5psi before. The 6.5 psi tune and "28.8#" (D1720BA 32#) injectors remained the same, they used the 4.0 to compensate for the extra fuel needed for the additional boost. This was unadvertised and came straight from the mouth of Dan at Dinan.

This is NOT applicable to the ISR and re: post 6; yes, I already know the crank pulley is 8-rib, the dimensions for reproduction are posted on this site.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 11-02-2018 at 01:07 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The car in that link is using what looks like an RMS water/air intercooler. I later read that Dinan used some water to air units. If this is true, the IC type may have depended on the car body — the smaller Z3 might have needed a more compact design, for example. There were very few of these Dinan intercooled kits. They might have been exceptional for the time, but I would not pay a premium for one today. The tune is very limited - by adding 20% fuel pressure, they got only 8% more fuel. Obviously Dinan is thorough so it was enough for 10psi from an older impeller design Vortech at 10 psi, but not much more. I would recommend 60 lb injectors and stock fuel pressure for the power the OP wants.

My Cars
    skateboard
    The car in that link is using what looks like an RMS water/air intercooler. I later read that Dinan used some water to air units. If this is true, the IC type may have depended on the car body — the smaller Z3 might have needed a more compact design, for example. There were very few of these Dinan intercooled kits. They might have been exceptional for the time, but I would not pay a premium for one today. The tune is very limited - by adding 20% fuel pressure, they got only 8% more fuel. Obviously Dinan is thorough so it was enough for 10psi from an older impeller design Vortech at 10 psi, but not much more. I would recommend 60 lb injectors and stock fuel pressure for the power the OP wants.
    What power is that again? Maybe he should consider 80's
    Last edited by GG///M3; 11-02-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    This is NOT applicable to the ISR.
    How do you figure this? I don’t see it. —Same 10# psi level, same 28.8# injectors, same 5.5” crank pulley. So how in Hades would I not have the same FPR?

I would recommend 60 lb injectors and stock fuel pressure for the power the OP wants.
    Yes, this is what I plan on doing. Maybe in the summer when I have more time/money because I’ll need a custom tune, maybe EV14 60# injectors, and swop back to a Porsche HFM. Still will probably be locked in at 16# of boost max because of the V2 bearings.
    Last edited by bubbafett; 11-02-2018 at 08:51 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    My guess is maybe 500 rwhp on pump gas plus meth. Even with the added drag of the blower, 60s tha flow about 65 at BMW’s 3.5 bar pressure should be fine. You can make 650 rwhp with them on a turbo car that has less drag on the crank.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    How do you figure this? I don’t see it. —Same 10# psi level, same 28.8# injectors, same 5.5” crank pulley. So how in Hades would I not have the same FPR?
    Maybe due to a higher-flowing supercharger and more efficient engine (intake/exhaust, etc). The Dinan setup may be designed around an otherwise-stock car which may see 10psi at 900cfm, vs. your more efficient setup which takes 1100cfm to hit 10psi. And the earlier-version Vortech may only flow 900cfm vs. your newer Vortech which is pumping 1100cfm. With a modified engine, on the boost gauge it might look like it's moving the same air, but it's actually a lot more air and requires a lot more fuel.
    Last edited by 1000hp; 11-02-2018 at 10:28 AM.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
    Maybe due to a higher-flowing supercharger and more efficient engine (intake/exhaust, etc). The Dinan setup may be designed around an otherwise-stock car which may see 10psi at 900cfm, vs. your more efficient setup which takes 1100cfm to hit 10psi. And the earlier-version Vortech may only flow 900cfm vs. your newer Vortech which is pumping 1100cfm. With a modified engine, on the boost gauge it might look like it's moving the same air, but it's actually a lot more air and requires a lot more fuel.
    That could be. IDK. Basically dinan took a bone stock motor and dropped their kit with upgrades here and there. I think my charger is a V2 "S" trim (not 100%). It may even be that the 10# Boost kit is the same tune except with the Z8 HFM fuel/air map (which is the only dinan kit to use the Z8 HFM I believe), the 28.8# injectors, and the 4.0 bar FPR. --It is a working-theory of mine; it's hard to tell Dinan did "secret" mods. lol
    Last edited by bubbafett; 11-02-2018 at 12:37 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3

Yes, this is what I plan on doing. Maybe in the summer when I have more time/money because I’ll need a custom tune, maybe EV14 60# injectors, and swop back to a Porsche HFM. Still will probably be locked in at 16# of boost max because of the V2 bearings.
    Your ISR does not use D1720BA injectors. It uses D1163BA. Along with the 38# injector change, it also uses a later 2000+ year model 3.5” MAF (not even E36 era). Your kit is highly unlikely to call for a FPR upgrade when the fueling requirements are handled correctly by using larger injectors. Let me put it this way; using a higher pressure FPR is a weak ass way to tune. You don’t want to keep fighting to make this a reality.

Philip, again, that is my post. The aftercooler kit was setup by Dinan and was not branded with RMS logos. The history of how or why Dinan had it, Dan did not explain. As I said years ago, I called in with the VIN and was given a list if mods that were unique to that Dinan supercharger kit. As far as I know it was only that one kit and Bubba; it has nothing to do with the ISR setup. There were details I incorrectly associated with the intercooled kit though.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 11-02-2018 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Your ISR does not use D1720BA injectors. It uses D1163BA. Along with the 38# injector change
    I stand corrected! You are right, maybe my dyslexia kicked in on those injectors, I have been saying 28.8#, indeed it is 38#.... That changes things for my fuel map notes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12