Thread: Should I get this E46?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i

Should I get this E46?

Hi everyone, unfortunately my poor 98' E39 was in a crash a few days ago and was totaled. I was t-boned in an intersection and mine along with the other person's car were both totaled. It's shitty cause I really enjoyed that car and felt good driving it. I am considering getting a 3 series that I spotted near me for a pretty low price. It's a 2003 325 and is only $2500 with 100k miles. It's newer than my crashed car and a lot lower mileage (had 170k on the other one).

For all those out there who own an E46, how well do they drive? When I drove my E39 I felt like I was in a vault. It was solid and very well built. When I got t-boned, the thick metal doors definitely saved my life. The ride was so smooth and just everything felt so premium, even though it was 20 yrs old. Something else I like about the 3 Series is the smaller build. I'm not really into bigger cars so the compact body of the E46 is quite attractive to me. Do you think this is a good deal to snag or should I keep looking? Thanks!

My Cars
    several
    I recommend the E46 as long as you are prepared to invest additional money into it for maintenance and taking care of items that are known to go out on them. I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is tough when you have a car you like a lot and it is totaled.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk
    Jeremy
    2000 323Ci Titansilber Metallic cabriolet

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by JCC511 View Post
    I recommend the E46 as long as you are prepared to invest additional money into it for maintenance and taking care of items that are known to go out on them. I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is tough when you have a car you like a lot and it is totaled.

It definitely is. I only had the car for 2 months and already it's totaled! I had put so much money in it as well. Bought the car for $1000 but I put like $1200 worth of work into it. But oh well, cars can be replaced. I am just grateful to have walked away with no injuries!

My Cars
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerNoob2000 View Post
    It definitely is. I only had the car for 2 months and already it's totaled! I had put so much money in it as well. Bought the car for $1000 but I put like $1200 worth of work into it. But oh well, cars can be replaced. I am just grateful to have walked away with no injuries!
    You are blessed to have walked away. I had an '07 Scion tC that I had fully modded when it was totaled. I am thankful that I was not injured. Maybe you can part it out?

Jeremy

My Cars
    several
    Get it checked out to make sure the head gasket is not blown. Common problem with the E46 if overheated.

Jeremy