Thread: suspension arms e46 in e36

My Cars
    318ti

suspension arms e46 in e36

Hi all! possibly there has been a lot of talk about the subject but I can not find anything I'm sorry

I would like to know if it is necessary to make any modifications to put the suspension arms of an e46 in an e36 compact or would it be plug and play? I imagine that we should also buy the silentblocks of an e46

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I think the e46 front control arms are guite a bit longer, and more forward. You would need some unsafe severe shimming at the lower strut mounts on top of camber plates if not a chop and weld of the actual strut mount domes. But, I may be wrong.

My Cars
    318ti
    I have camber plates that I think is necessary to be able to put the e46 arms and from the silentblocks I have found this:

https://www.strongflex.eu/en/bmw-e30...553504002.html

inside they have a hexagonal shape like the arms of e46 but the outside measures what is necessary to install it in the blocks of the e36

but if I have to cut and weld it is not as simple as buying some pieces to make everything fit,

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    No, I think your right. It's for drifting and not speed. Its for a better turning lock angle,. I remember seeing this now. You should be good. That bushing is just for the e46 arms with that particular shaped end. See what you have on your arm and order to fit.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    In order to run e46 control arms, you will need to purchase a bushing conversion kit with the hexagonal insert. I think condor speedshop sells them but they are about $200. I believe you will also need to use e90 tie rods to account for the increased arm length. And you may also need to modify the knuckle by cutting and welding where the tie rods and control arm balljoints fasten.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XnWarden; 10-22-2018 at 08:10 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    In order to run e46 control arms, you will need to purchase a bushing conversion kit with the hexagonal insert. I think condor speedshop sells them but they are about $200. I believe you will also need to use e90 tie rods to account for the increased arm length. And you may also need to modify the knuckle by cutting and welding where the tie rods and control arm balljoints fasten.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Man, I'd stay away from cutting and welding something like the knuckle.

I have a friend who did this and swapped to an E46 knuckle / front strut. And yes, you will need the right outer tie rod (from an E46). And you'll also have to use the E46 brakes, since that's what bolts up. So it's a bit more involved parts wise, but it all bolts up. Except...

It's really wide (which is the point, obviously), and you will also have to cut your fenders / add flares.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    E36 and e46 brakes are interchangeable as long as rotors match the caliper.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    E36 and e46 brakes are interchangeable as long as rotors match the caliper.
    True. My buddy went to an E46 M3 arm (and everything else) up front. No point in going to that much time, effort, and money and then keeping e36 brakes. Though if you're drifting and not racing it doesn't matter so much.

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    Man, I'd stay away from cutting and welding something like the knuckle.

I have a friend who did this and swapped to an E46 knuckle / front strut. And yes, you will need the right outer tie rod (from an E46). And you'll also have to use the E46 brakes, since that's what bolts up. So it's a bit more involved parts wise, but it all bolts up. Except...

It's really wide (which is the point, obviously), and you will also have to cut your fenders / add flares.

I think the same thing, avoid always cutting and welding because you have a piece that does not give much improvement either.

Although I'm really interested in putting it because it gives a little more angle of rotation and a little separation on the wheels, on the side of the car's fins I do not worry because I do not think that with the angle of camber to the maximum go to brush in the car