Thread: Insurance company totaled my e38

My Cars
    2000 740I

Insurance company totaled my e38

Sadly, my 2000 740i has been declared a total loss after a jerk off sideswiped me while driving.

So, check in hand, I’m looking for another one. I found a 1999 740i sport that I looked at today. It has 144k miles, it has full records, runs perfectly, timing chain guides done. The only problems I can find with the car are a cracked windshield and some clear coat issues on the rear pillar and the trunk.

My questions are these: How much does a windshield replacement done right cost? I’ve searched the forums and the number $1300 has come up a couple of times. Can anyone verify this? Also, as I understand it, the whole car would have to be repainted to correct the clear coat. How much would a good paint job cost? 3k? More? Less? I’d appreciate any input. Thanks

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Windshield: Genuine BMW around $1,300 but sometimes SafeLite has much cheaper options starting from $400. When I replaced mine they didnt have any of those on stock, had to go with genuine BMW. Try to find an installer who has done it for this particular car and has the special tools, otherwise crazy windnoise will follow.
    Paint job: I've paid $1,400 for it but I'm unhappy with the outcome. Probably hard to get anything decent below $2,000.

My Cars
    2001 7-S62, 2002 X5 S2,
    2001 | DINAN 7 Sport | S62 Swapped 6-Speed
    DINAN Springs & Exhaust | 750 Brakes | M-Pars | Monsoons | NBT Nav/Radio
    Dual Pane Glass | Black & Sand Int.

| 750iL | AlpineWeiss III

@scotthduke on Instagram

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by 740ilDuke View Post
    Nice! I was sold when seeing that toolkit with no missing tools

My Cars
    2000 740I

That looks nice but it’s more than I want to pay and is on the other side of the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    Windshield: Genuine BMW around $1,300 but sometimes SafeLite has much cheaper options starting from $400. When I replaced mine they didnt have any of those on stock, had to go with genuine BMW. Try to find an installer who has done it for this particular car and has the special tools, otherwise crazy windnoise will follow.
    Paint job: I've paid $1,400 for it but I'm unhappy with the outcome. Probably hard to get anything decent below $2,000.

Thank you

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750il
    Windshield you can get for about $100 junk yard. To install it cost about $200, parts it self is about $109 for the cowl and about another $89 for the top trim. Good to you bro.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Looks like it has two different grilles on the front.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    1995 740iL
    1) A big advantage of driving old as opposed to newer BMWs is the availability of inexpensive used parts. If $1300 is not a major deal to you, all the more power to you. Me, I prefer to look on Ebay and the web for a used windshield and have a auto glass shop or maybe independent mechanic with experience do it.

2) Never paint a car. You can spend $3000+ for a paint job and it is often nowhere near the quality of the factory paint. I don't know about clear coats, but if I bought the car I would assume I would have to live with the clear coat damage, then show it to some paint/body shops and ask them what could be done.

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    I'm sure I know the answer to this, but when they totaled your car, they wrote you a check for the insured value of the car. And then asked you to sign over the title. This is a major scam insurance companies pull on consumers. you are entitled to the check for the value the car is insured for. They are not entitled to take possession of the car in return. It's still your car. You own that totaled car. I have kept 3 totaled vehicles in my time. All three times they casually mentioned taking the vehicle away until i asked them how much they wanted to buy it off me for. I can sell it for scrap value or part it out myself , which is what they turn around and do to recoup some of the money they paid out to you. Or repair it and keep it on the road which I did with one of them.

My Cars
    2000 740I
    Yes they gave me the option of keeping the car, but I declined and took the full amount, which was $2500 above what I paid for it. Honestly I didn’t want the hassle of parting it out and I don’t have the storage space.

My Cars
    1999 740i Sport
    In addition to a full tool set, mine came with the little business card thing Velcro'd on the inside of the trunk lid showing you how to place four golf bags!1094497700.jpg
    Last edited by JohnKu; 10-24-2018 at 12:03 PM.

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    My state dictates a fixed percentage they can deduct if you keep the car, although on some cheaper cars I've had totaled they didn't even mention wanting the car. This is supposedly to keep them from low-balling you on the price.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdownpdx View Post
    Yes they gave me the option of keeping the car, but I declined and took the full amount, which was $2500 above what I paid for it. Honestly I didn’t want the hassle of parting it out and I don’t have the storage space.
    Next time let me have it lol

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by lapd1989 View Post
    Next time let me have it lol
    But not really cuz I don’t that to happen again to you

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Looks like it has two different grilles on the front.
    I was thinking the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AuntJemima View Post
    1) A big advantage of driving old as opposed to newer BMWs is the availability of inexpensive used parts. If $1300 is not a major deal to you, all the more power to you. Me, I prefer to look on Ebay and the web for a used windshield and have a auto glass shop or maybe independent mechanic with experience do it.

2) Never paint a car. You can spend $3000+ for a paint job and it is often nowhere near the quality of the factory paint. I don't know about clear coats, but if I bought the car I would assume I would have to live with the clear coat damage, then show it to some paint/body shops and ask them what could be done.
    "Never paint a car?" Huh? Would you like to qualify that comment with some exceptions please? I agree that anything under $3,000 won't get you a great job, but....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RIboater2 View Post
    I'm sure I know the answer to this, but when they totaled your car, they wrote you a check for the insured value of the car. And then asked you to sign over the title. This is a major scam insurance companies pull on consumers. you are entitled to the check for the value the car is insured for. They are not entitled to take possession of the car in return. It's still your car. You own that totaled car. I have kept 3 totaled vehicles in my time. All three times they casually mentioned taking the vehicle away until i asked them how much they wanted to buy it off me for. I can sell it for scrap value or part it out myself , which is what they turn around and do to recoup some of the money they paid out to you. Or repair it and keep it on the road which I did with one of them.
    Thanks for the good tip; hope I never need it.