Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 E46 ZHP 3.0 Engine Swap

My Cars
    525i, K12RS, 07 750Li

2005 E46 ZHP 3.0 Engine Swap

Wanted to share my experience with Swapping a ZHP Donor motor, hopefully this can help someone in the future.

Back Story: I've owned my 2001 e39 M-Sport 530i Manual for over a year now. I purchased the car from a kid up in the Santa Ana, CA area. The odometer showed 165K mikes, he originally wanted to 2600.00 but after making the 150 mile trip up there from Campo and inspecting the car it needed a lot of love. Engine light was on, was leaking coolant from bypass hose under manifold, shifter was sloppy and listing to 5 gear while in neutral and was lacking power. The Radio was hastily re-installed and all wires we "twisted" with black tape. Some had modified the front head rests with LCD monitors and I presume the entertainment system previously installed was removed before I arrived. Popping the "boot", it was the same wiring nightmare, a complete hack of wires that were cut and twisted together by whomever installed the aftermarket stereo. 1600.00 take it or leave it type of offer.

So I was a proud owner of my 3rd BMW and felt good about the purchase. I spent the next 2 weeks chasing codes and untwisting and soldering nasty taped wiring . PITA! I pulled the intake manifold, replaced plastic cooling pipes, temp sensors, found there was no o-ring installed on the dip-stick tube. Put the car back together and had a viable running car to commute down to San Diego daily. I love this car and the e39 is my favorite platform so far.

Fast forward a year later the car has been very reliable. Unfortunately I had a "Money-Shift" and presumedly over revved the engine due to the sloppy shifter. I had missed shifts before due to the worn bushing but caught them in the past but not this time. About a week later I had a hard miss, No compression on #1 cylinder after performing leak-down test (More like Flow-Test!) with #1 TDC'd I could here air bypassing in the exhaust.

• I ended up sourcing a 2005 e46 ZHP donor motor with 112K shipped for $1300.00.
    • DKM Stage 1 Performance Single Mass Clutch Kit
    • New Guibo and Center support
    • Shifter Refresh Kit
    • Pulled the Trigger on a new Active AutoWerke Stage 2 Supercharger.

The most time-consuming of this swap was the transferring of Peripheral parts from the original 3.0 to the Donor ZHP. The Manifold, Oil Pan and Valve Cover are not interchangeable in terms of plug-n-play compatibility and subframe geometry. The Motor Mounts, AC bracket and Alternator bracket needed to be swapped as well as the Coolant Temp Sensor under Manifold. Also need to pull all exhaust studs, those must have "spun" out during pulling out the donor engine. Not too bad but time consuming. After installing intake manifold, Valve Cover, oil pan with new gaskets I was ready to install.

Stay Tuned for the SuperCharger install.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mnewman; 10-23-2018 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Thanks for sharing. Happy to see another e39 saved. So car is not running yet?

My Cars
    525i, K12RS, 07 750Li
    Car is running great, Stock E39 tune is running the car and over 300 miles now. No codes other than post O2's as expected. Power feels good but cant really notice if the car has more power than the stock 3.0. I am sure I could squeeze a couple more HP out of it with a custom tune but at this point I am waiting for the Super Charger Kit to come in. Active Autowerke will baseline the tune with known variables (ZHP, Headers). Once the install is done and the car is running I'll do a couple Dyno pulls and see if AA can squeeze a couple more ponies out of her based on exhaust and dyno numbers.

First test drive post install

Cold start Idling
    Last edited by mnewman; 10-22-2018 at 02:04 PM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    NICE!

Stuck did a semi-ZHP swap like this BITD. I've always thought the ZHP calibration would be better to have than the 530 but then it occurs to me ZHP's are on a weird DME, aren't they? Like MS45.1 or something weird like that? THats prob why Stuck didn't do that... and the ABS/DSC integration might be tricky since the E46 DSC is different...

W the blower should be a great setup.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    525i, K12RS, 07 750Li
    Yeah @geargrinder, I think the ZHP uses the MS45 and the 530i uses the MS43 I believe? Looking for some help on Routing the Intercooler piping, I have a MIG but not a great welder. I have been searching and searching but it appears not too many people have done the 530i. Tons of kits out there for the e46 330i piping. Active Autowerke has been great so far, they have a customer who successfully configured/routed the Intercooler for Stage 2 performance. Waiting to hear back from them regarding some options.

I am chomping a the bit! Can't wait to put down some real power to the rear wheels.

MN

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Keep us posted! Nice work so far. The MS43 has some development (slowly) happening, so you can code out catalytic converters and things of that nature now. Check out MS4X.net
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    525i, K12RS, 07 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    Keep us posted! Nice work so far. The MS43 has some development (slowly) happening, so you can code out catalytic converters and things of that nature now. Check out MS4X.net
    Thanks for the resource.

I order this morning https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYS77R3...748420_TE_item. I hope it functions as expected. I need to be able to "delete" or flash modules. For instance my DSC is bad, I can buy a used one and flash the VIN if I am not mistaken. Definitely, need to delete the Post Sniffers.

MN

My Cars
    05' e46 15'F30
    Quote Originally Posted by mnewman View Post
    Car is running great, Stock E39 tune is running the car and over 300 miles now. No codes other than post O2's as expected. Power feels good but cant really notice if the car has more power than the stock 3.0. I am sure I could squeeze a couple more HP out of it with a custom tune but at this point I am waiting for the Super Charger Kit to come in. Active Autowerke will baseline the tune with known variables (ZHP, Headers). Once the install is done and the car is running I'll do a couple Dyno pulls and see if AA can squeeze a couple more ponies out of her based on exhaust and dyno numbers.

That is commendable. Gotta love the e39 chassis!

My Cars
    525i, K12RS, 07 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Coupe View Post
    That is commendable. Gotta love the e39 chassis!
    Thanks! It was a good time doing the swap, once I was done

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah @geargrinder, I think the ZHP uses the MS45 and the 530i uses the MS43 I believe? Looking for some help on Routing the Intercooler piping, I have a MIG but not a great welder. I have been searching and searching but it appears not too many people have done the 530i.
    Yeah that's absolutely right. Surprising how few 530's got blower kits, given that the 330i's aren't uncommon at all, but chalk it up to the "OK maybe just buy a 540" factor... Lotta work just to 'catch up' with the V8. We don't need to get into a debate about that here - a F/I 530i is cool, just sayin' that is probably the explanation.

BTW, I'm not sure how much value you'll get out of killing yourself over intercooler install... running the low boost those kits do doesn't really create a shlt-ton of heat like on a turbo or if you really crank up a big blower, and intercoolers have a 'cost' to them, usually a PSI or two of drop. You're assuming the density return is worth it but on a low-PSI centri-blower, well... keep in mind you might be losing on the low end more than you gain at the very top when everything is hot... Now if you intend to 'go off the grid' with big pulleys and try to push 15-20psi or something that's a different story but short of that, that's my thinking...

I order this morning https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYS77R3...748420_TE_item. I hope it functions as expected. I need to be able to "delete" or flash modules. For instance my DSC is bad, I can buy a used one and flash the VIN if I am not mistaken. Definitely, need to delete the Post Sniffers.
    ISTA blows, so don't use that. I mean I'm sure you'll want to try it and whatnot but in short order you'll find for old cars like this - the old INPA / WinKFP / NCSExpert tools are what you want to use. Ugly, archaic interface, but fast and effective.

But - for what you really want to do - reading/writing binaries - none of the software with that cable is really what you want to use. I mean you can use WinKFP to flash custom binaries but its a giant PITA (unless you enjoy binary->Intel Hex conversion parties!) but WinKFP won't even read the flash for you... Tool32 can do some things like that but its even more of an arcane PITA to use. Even I don't really use that unless absolutely required.

However - the cable you ordered will work with most normal 'public' MSx flashing utilities. For MS43 you can either use JMGarageFlasher, or, 'Siemens MSS5x Flash Tool' (also called 'Chipster'). The latter is fast and effective, for a while there was a licensing problem cuz the guy who wrote it died and left his licensing system un-manned but some guys took it over and made a 'self-license maker' webpage.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    525i, K12RS, 07 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Yeah that's absolutely right. Surprising how few 530's got blower kits, given that the 330i's aren't uncommon at all, but chalk it up to the "OK maybe just buy a 540" factor... Lotta work just to 'catch up' with the V8. We don't need to get into a debate about that here - a F/I 530i is cool, just sayin' that is probably the explanation.
    lol, yeah there's plenty of bantering back and forth about SC a e39 530i. The cool factor is what is important to me.

BTW, I'm not sure how much value you'll get out of killing yourself over intercooler install... running the low boost those kits do doesn't really create a shlt-ton of heat like on a turbo or if you really crank up a big blower, and intercoolers have a 'cost' to them, usually a PSI or two of drop. You're assuming the density return is worth it but on a low-PSI centri-blower, well... keep in mind you might be losing on the low end more than you gain at the very top when everything is hot... Now if you intend to 'go off the grid' with big pulleys and try to push 15-20psi or something that's a different story but short of that, that's my thinking...
    The AA Level 2 kit assumes 12 PSI, If I don't need to spend an additional 1500.00 for the Intercooler and piping that would be great, the issue is Heat Soak per AA. I suppose I could add the intercooler setup later assuming I will not damage the engine. I do have the old Motor on the stand, which will eventually be refreshed and maybe built for even more boost. I am all about Staging this build so if I can get buy without a complete fabricated IC setup so be it. Waiting on a response from AA regarding a customer who has actually done the build on a 530.

ISTA blows, so don't use that. I mean I'm sure you'll want to try it and whatnot but in short order you'll find for old cars like this - the old INPA / WinKFP / NCSExpert tools are what you want to use. Ugly, archaic interface, but fast and effective.

But - for what you really want to do - reading/writing binaries - none of the software with that cable is really what you want to use. I mean you can use WinKFP to flash custom binaries but its a giant PITA (unless you enjoy binary->Intel Hex conversion parties!) but WinKFP won't even read the flash for you... Tool32 can do some things like that but its even more of an arcane PITA to use. Even I don't really use that unless absolutely required.

However - the cable you ordered will work with most normal 'public' MSx flashing utilities. For MS43 you can either use JMGarageFlasher, or, 'Siemens MSS5x Flash Tool' (also called 'Chipster'). The latter is fast and effective, for a while there was a licensing problem cuz the guy who wrote it died and left his licensing system un-manned but some guys took it over and made a 'self-license maker' webpage.
    Initially, I'll want to just "kick the tires" and get used the functions of the DME. I am a programmer of 20 years turned DEVOPS. But no, Hex conversioning doesn't seem like fun! If you don't mind I'd like to bounce questions off you once I get the interface cable.

Thanks again for your wisdom/suggestions.

MN

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    No worries.

FWIW since you're tech savvy, the deal is BMW used IntelHex as the file format standard for WinKFP for some ungodly reason... so all the stock flashes that come with the factory software are in that format.

Yeah the Intel-Hex thing is pointless waste of time, vs just "download binary, look at binary, edit binary, flash binary". There are a few reasons why it can be rarely useful - Terraphantm here made some M62TU modified binaries and then posted them in BMW format so that people can use WinKFP to flash them for instance - but for most hacker/project guys its all waste of time...

You can convert them to binaries, there are utilities out there (some don't work, BTDT) but its all waste of time really. If you want to restore a factory binary - great, use the WinKFP files in the software, fine, but basically, I'd never bother to look inside one unless for some reason you absolutely had to have one of the factories in binary form to compare (and even then you coudl WinKFP flash it to an ECU and then read it back w/ a generic utility and have the binary... ) or, if, as in previous example, you wanted to distribute WinKFP compatible flash-tunes...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    z3
    Just curious - for a boosted application, are the ZHP cams really the best bet? Usually more aggressive cams also have more overlap dont they? Which may not be ideal for boost?

Awesome build either way, I'm going to be 3.0 swaping my 2.5 wagon as soon as I find a suitable donor engine... the 2.5 ain't cutting it

My Cars
    525i, K12RS, 07 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Just curious - for a boosted application, are the ZHP cams really the best bet? Usually more aggressive cams also have more overlap dont they? Which may not be ideal for boost?

Awesome build either way, I'm going to be 3.0 swaping my 2.5 wagon as soon as I find a suitable donor engine... the 2.5 ain't cutting it
    Thank you, actually thank you, E39 and BMW! haha. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the exhaust CAM grind is not aggressive enough for potential issues with SuperCharging the ZHP? I have seen a couple of ZHP/SC builds so far mostly on the E46. I think with proper tuning and Dyno runs should allow for the DME engine management to be properly tuned to account for the mild cam profile.

MN

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    ^^ agreed. 1. The ZHP ain't no "barely idle" cam grind. , 2. again the low pressure and linear nature of S/C applications makes them respond more to cam tweaks like a N/A engine than some beastly turbo that suddenly makes giant boost at mid-RPM's and you need to 'help keep it all in there'.

BTW I didn't reply to the AA / IC thing ... well if they really believe its important then that's fine by me, maybe it is. 12psi is 'getting there' so... maybe... I just know from seeing my friends testing IC setups that they will usually lose you a PSI or two or three... now on a turbo where you got a wastegate and "plenty of boost to burn" its hardly a concern, but for the S/C's I think you want to keep the loss to a minimum - that's why so many S/C setups use heat exchanger setups, because they can't 'afford' the loss of the longer piping down to the bumper and back...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    z3
    Yeah like I said I was just curious, I was not sure how aggressive the ZHP cams were. Most my F/I knowledge is also limited to turbo applications as well, so I wasn't sure on the characteristics of the S/C. Makes sense it would respond to cams more like an N/A engine as the power band feels closer to an N/A engine with those types of blowers

My Cars
    525i, K12RS, 07 750Li
    Yeah like I said I was just curious, I was not sure how aggressive the ZHP cams were. Most my F/I knowledge is also limited to turbo applications as well, so I wasn't sure on the characteristics of the S/C. Makes sense it would respond to cams more like an N/A engine as the power band feels closer to an N/A engine with those types of blowers
    Your question is valid and I am glad you asked. I cant really tell the difference so far between the 3.0 and the ZHP 3.0 granted I am running the stock 530i S43 tune at this point. Idles the same, pulls the same during VANOS engagement. I have not had a chance to accurately determine MPG because my test drives have been aggressive. Did Compression check before plug replacement yesterday and had 160-165 across all cylinders.

Stay tuned on this, chompin' at the bit for the Supercharger kit.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    NICE!

Stuck did a semi-ZHP swap like this BITD. I've always thought the ZHP calibration would be better to have than the 530 but then it occurs to me ZHP's are on a weird DME, aren't they? Like MS45.1 or something weird like that? THats prob why Stuck didn't do that... and the ABS/DSC integration might be tricky since the E46 DSC is different...

W the blower should be a great setup.
    Yes the ZHP got MS 45.1 just like most of the later E46 330s. If memory serves, Terra compared the ZHP and non-ZHP maps and found the difference was simply that the ZHP tune has a higher rev limiter.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    Yes the ZHP got MS 45.1 just like most of the later E46 330s. If memory serves, Terra compared the ZHP and non-ZHP maps and found the difference was simply that the ZHP tune has a higher rev limiter.
    That is true, though it should be noted that the MS45.1 uses wideband O2 sensors, so it may be able to better compensate for the cams without any actual changes to the tune.

My Cars
    525i, K12RS, 07 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    That is true, though it should be noted that the MS45.1 uses wideband O2 sensors, so it may be able to better compensate for the cams without any actual changes to the tune.
    That is a great point! Our e39's post CAT O2's are for Catalytic efficiency and do not effect A/F where the E46 I Presume would make A/F adjustments in real time.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    I'm not sure I knew that. Always zomethin to lern from Mirza!

- - - Updated - - -

That is a great point! Our e39's post CAT O2's are for Catalytic efficiency and do not effect A/F.
    No, but the pre-cat O2s affect A/F absolutely... they just do so via "slowly and averaged adjustments to trims" vs real-time closed loop that you can do w/ WBO2s...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    This is very nice work and a cool build. I'll be lurking here for updates!
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    05 330i
    Is it only the zhp or do all 330is run wideband O2s?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

Yeah...
    Let me know when you find a good 3.0 M54 .

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by justinca540i View Post
    Is it only the zhp or do all 330is run wideband O2s?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    All MS45.1 330s (so US-spec March 2003 and newer E46s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast