RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 118i 1 Series e88 P2096 issue - opinion needed

My Cars
    e88 118i

Unhappy 118i 1 Series e88 P2096 issue - opinion needed

Hi bimmers,
    I have a check engine light going and coming (mostly coming ). Tried 98-octane fuel, even 100-octane fuel.
    Resetting the error makes the check engine light go off, then a few days later comes back
    the error reading is P2096 Post Catalytic Converter Fuel Trim 1 – Too Lean.
    I got these reading while on 2000rpm - https://youtu.be/lRdxtJwImh0
    What is not visible on the video but noticed while driving around the city, is that the LAMBDA11 sensor detail on the OBD tool sometimes spiked to 1.8 and 2.0, sometimes stuck on 2.0 (i don't even know if this matters)
    My car is an N43 engine, 1-series e88, 2008 cabrio.
    What is your opinion?
    Mate I.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    My opinion is that you need a proper BMW-specific scan tool so that you can determine what's really going on. Failing that, you can always throw an O2 sensor at it and see what happens.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    e88 118i

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    My opinion is that you need a proper BMW-specific scan tool so that you can determine what's really going on. Failing that, you can always throw an O2 sensor at it and see what happens.
    Thanks. I already ordered an O2 sensor hope status changes, if not, I'll go for a BMW diagnostic tool, any recommendation? I'm thinking of the Foxwell NT510

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    The Foxwell is fine; I have the ECS Tuning Schwaben unit, which is just a rebranded 510, and it's quite useful. I'd recommend getting it regardless of whether the new O2 sensor solves your current problem.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The first thing I do, for any lean code, is a smoke test of the intake system, using a professional smoke machine.

If there are no leaks, proven by a 10 minute smoke test, I would change out the PRE-CAT sensor on that bank, before replacing the post-cat sensor, on the basis that the pre-cat sensor lives in a much harsher environment, is the primary means of mixture control, and if it's reading a richer mixture than is actually present, the DME will lean out that bank, and the post-cat sensor will read a lean mixture.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    e88 118i

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    The first thing I do, for any lean code, is a smoke test of the intake system, using a professional smoke machine.

If there are no leaks, proven by a 10 minute smoke test, I would change out the PRE-CAT sensor on that bank, before replacing the post-cat sensor, on the basis that the pre-cat sensor lives in a much harsher environment, is the primary means of mixture control, and if it's reading a richer mixture than is actually present, the DME will lean out that bank, and the post-cat sensor will read a lean mixture.
    So i guess popping off the air box and have some smoke go through the intake or vacuum? Where is usually the most common place for leaks that could cause extra air? Valves? Intake maniford? Just to know where to start from in case its not the O2

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    It's not "having some smoke go through". A smoke machine pressurizes the entire intake tract and crankcase vent system with a very thick, long-lasting smoke. This can't be done with anything except a real smoke machine. There are MANY places for leakages which you cannot find without this machine. Given ten minutes, the smoke test will find any leak you have....or, it will prove that you don't have a leak.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    e88 118i

Unhappy Replaced my Lambda sensor - same issue

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    It's not "having some smoke go through". A smoke machine pressurizes the entire intake tract and crankcase vent system with a very thick, long-lasting smoke. This can't be done with anything except a real smoke machine. There are MANY places for leakages which you cannot find without this machine. Given ten minutes, the smoke test will find any leak you have....or, it will prove that you don't have a leak.
    Hi guys,
    I know its been sometime. so it took a few weeks for the oxygen sensor to arrive.
    Had it replaced mid-November and guess what - a week later - engine light back again.
    So i ordered a FoxWell NT510 diagnostic reader, arrived a few days before Christmas.
    Now that the holiday season is over finally got myself to look into fault codes. I got these errors:

CAS:
    D904/not present - CAS K-CAN line fault
    DME:
    2EF7/not present - DME Map thermostat activation
    30C1/not present - DME Engine-oil pressure control, static
    2AF4/not present - DME Nitrogen-oxide sensor, electric
    2AF2/not present - DME Nitrogen-oxide sensor, lambda linear
    2AF6/not present - DME Nitrogen-oxide sensor, signal
    3C31/not present - Oxygen sensor emissions control
    2AF9/not present - Nitrogen-oxide sensor, NOx signal coast-mode check
    2C6B/not present - DME- Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter, system check

I'm thinking of going for a smoke test, unless I'm missing an obvious fault with the above (not even sure if just 1 could trigger all of them)
    Opinions?
    Mate I.
    Last edited by mate.118i; 01-20-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: double entry

My Cars
    e88 118i

booked smoke test - in the meatime reset DME but got same codes in less than a day

Hi guys quick update (booked smoke test waiting for appointmanet date) i have reset all the errors and after less than a day driving received the below errors

CAS:
    D904/not present - CAS K-CAN line fault
    DME:
    2AF4/not present - DME Nitrogen-oxide sensor, electric
    2AF2/not present - DME Nitrogen-oxide sensor, lambda linear
    2AF6/not present - DME Nitrogen-oxide sensor, signal
    2C31/not present - Oxygen sensor emissions control

So its 2x codes less for now, but maybe they’ll appear anyway after sometime probably.
    Would you say that there’s an issue with the Nox sensor? And what’s the K-CAN line fault? Could it it be a wire that causes the whole issue?

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    duplicate thread - please merge....

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...CAN-line-fault
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    e88 118i
    So another update.
    After resetting once more, and doing a cleanup drive the Italian way, after driving the freeway for a couple of hours i ended up with the below errors:
    Do you think those 2x correlate to each other?
    I've also noticed that rarely, rattling sound during engine start --> for a few minutes to several minutes.