Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DISA valve rebuild question

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

DISA valve rebuild question

So I took the DIsa valve Out of the car to inspect it because there was a noise being made under the hood. The noise is not the valve but I also noticed it needs some attention. The flap is fine but when I do the vacuum test by holding my thumb over the whole the flap should stay put until you take your thumb off the hall which then it should open up. Mine does not state it just opens all the way up. What a repair kit help this or do I need to buy a new valve?

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    DISA rebuild kits do not and will not solve the issue if the DISA fails a vacuum test. Once the vacuum is gone, it's time for a new one.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
    DISA rebuild kits do not and will not solve the issue if the DISA fails a vacuum test. Once the vacuum is gone, it's time for a new one.
    Also, the DISA is one of those parts you only want to replace with OEM. Aftermarket DISA's are crap. I replaced mine last year and caught a sale at eEuroParts.com and paid less than $200 to my door. I should have bought a dozen of them and then resold them.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330XI
    He's right. I have seen one thread somewhere that a guy rebuilt the vacuum chamber, but he cannibalized another DISA to get the little rubber bell that serves as the seal for the vacuum.

My Cars
    2003 328i
    I don't think holding your thumb over the vacuum port is a valid way to test it. There would be no vacuum present until the flap opened, which is is spring loaded to do. There has to be enough vacuum to close the flap against spring pressure.

I would bet it's fine. I have never seen the actuator portion of the DISA valve fail. It is quite uncommon.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by nonturbodan View Post
    I don't think holding your thumb over the vacuum port is a valid way to test it.
    Actually, this is EXACTLY how you test a DISA for vacuum. You hold the flap CLOSED, plug the hole with a finger, release the flap. The flap should open a slight amount and then hold until you release your finger.

It's always best to not provide information unless you know what is you are talking about.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I don't think holding your thumb over the vacuum port is a valid way to test it. There would be no vacuum present until the flap opened, which is is spring loaded to do. There has to be enough vacuum to close the flap against spring pressure.

I would bet it's fine. I have never seen the actuator portion of the DISA valve fail. It is quite uncommon.
    Incorrect

Actually, this is EXACTLY how you test a DISA for vacuum. You hold the flap CLOSED, plug the hole with a finger, release the flap. The flap should open a slight amount and then hold until you release your finger.
    Correct
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 10-20-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Diaphram failure symptom

My Cars
    2003 328i
    It's always best to not provide information unless you know what is you are talking about.
    I understand you are attempting to be condescending but in your excitement you seem to have failed to complete a coherent sentence. I think I know what you're trying to say though, and I thank you for that. I value your opinion tremendously.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    If your disa failed the vacuum test just go find one at a junk yard that does pass the vacuum test and rebuild that one.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemycar View Post
    If your disa failed the vacuum test just go find one at a junk yard that does pass the vacuum test and rebuild that one.
    I encourage you to visit your local Pick-N-Pull and report back to us how many DISA's you find on any BMW.

My Cars
    LS E46
    What’s wrong with the G.A.S. DISA?

I understand you are attempting to be condescending but in your excitement you seem to have failed to complete a coherent sentence. I think I know what you're trying to say though, and I thank you for that. I value your opinion tremendously.
    His sentence was in perfect English with proper grammar and structure.

My Cars
    2003 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    I don't think you know what is you are talking about.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    I think he was making fun of the fact that the word 'IT' is missing even though we both read it as being there in our heads.

My Cars
    2003 325i (E46 SAL)
    You can get a replacement diaphram here: https://www.ebay.com/i/252829435229?chn=ps

and a complete DISA valve kit with diaphram here: https://vanos-bmw.com/disa-bmw-repair-kits

Both come from Russia and take forever to clear customs but the quality of the parts is good IMO.

I went with the Vanos-BMW kit because both the vacuum pot and valve were bad.

My Cars
    LS E46
    I think he was making fun of the fact that the word 'IT' is missing even though we both read it as being there in our heads.
    Well would you look at that. Guess that’s what is like to be native English speakers.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Well would you look at that. Guess that’s what is like to be native English speakers.
    Maybe it was too late in the
    the evening for me.
    Last edited by All2kool; 10-23-2018 at 10:44 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    SO is this the way to go? My DISA fail the vacuum test, although flapper still works fine. Before I did a vacuum test, I was going to do a regular rebuild. Although from what I'm reading here. A normal rebuild for a new flapper and o-ring, will not fix the vacuum. The correct way is a new OEM DISA or a rebuild kit with new vacuum port?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    SO is this the way to go? My DISA fail the vacuum test, although flapper still works fine. Before I did a vacuum test, I was going to do a regular rebuild. Although from what I'm reading here. A normal rebuild for a new flapper and o-ring, will not fix the vacuum. The correct way is a new OEM DISA or a rebuild kit with new vacuum port?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I buoys used oem one. Check eBay

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdeye View Post
    Rebuild kits DO NOT, let me repeat that DO NOT fix a DISA that no longer holds a vacuum. Your best option is to replace the DISA with a new OEM unit or find a good used one. Personally, I would not trust any used DISA that I could not personally perform a vacuum test on first.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Let me add that I am not saying you cannot rebuild a DISA and address the vacuum failure at the same time but you would need a working diaphragm from a DISA that is good. As far as I know, you cannot purchase a new diaphragm.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I may have one for you.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Opening the DISA to replace the diaphragm without damaging the chamber?
    I don't think it's possible.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Opening the DISA to replace the diaphragm without damaging the chamber? I don't think it's possible.
    I actually tried on the old DISA and all I managed to do was break off the clips.

My Cars
    2003 325i (E46 SAL)
    Well I obtained and replaced the vacuum diaphram. Opening and closing the vacuum chamber wasn't easy but it can be done -carefully-
    I carefully took it apart, taking care not to pry so hard that parts break, and used a bit of silicone grease on the new diaphram so it would seat easily and not tear.
    https://vanos-bmw.com/disa-bmw-repai...llation-manual

It seems like I also saw a You-Tube video showing how to do it but I can't remember for sure:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZnFHzvXhJo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnIgfXWjMU

You can get a replacement diaphram here: https://www.ebay.com/i/252829435229?chn=ps

and a complete DISA valve kit with diaphram here: https://vanos-bmw.com/disa-bmw-repair-kits

Both come from Russia and take forever to clear customs but the quality of the parts is good IMO.

I went with the Vanos-BMW kit because both the vacuum pot and valve were bad.
    Last edited by BasilRathbone; 11-01-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast