Thread: Transmission Whining Noise (Not the throwout bearing)

My Cars
    bmw e36 320i

Transmission Whining Noise (Not the throwout bearing)

Hello,
    I have a problem with my e36 320i M52b20, so ever since I bought the car, there is a whining noise coming from the transmission when the clutch is engadged. However when the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor the whining stops.

It is not the throw-out bearing because I replaced it and the noise persisted. My guess is the pilotbearing as it is the only one I can think of.

Any other suggestions on what might be causing this noise?

My Cars
    ummm...
    Pilot bearing. Roommate has a bad pilot bearing. It sounds like it has a whimsy supercharger

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    11/85 635csi auto

My Cars
    bmw e36 320i
    yep sounds exactly like that. do you think its worth spending another 8 hours replacing the bearing? Should I replace it or can I drive like this for another month or so?

My Cars
    ummm...
    My roommate been driving it like that for a while now. Probably 5 months. He has a "loud stereo in his bmw"(whoopty f-ing doo), so he really doesn't hear it. He's not a bmw enthusiast, just likes to own one.

11/85 635csi auto

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    The only time the pilot bearing actually does work is when the engine is running, the transmission is in gear and the clutch pedal is depressed (clutch disengaged). This means the transmission input shaft is stationary and the pilot is now working between the input shaft and the crankshaft/flywheel. If the engine is running, clutch disengaged and transmission in neutral the the bearing MAY turn just by the slipping motion of the clutch plate but no real load on the bearing. If you're traveling down the road in gear then the bearing is NOT turning (no load ). You never mentioned testing in or out of gear but it sounds more like a worn input shaft bearing.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    bmw e36 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm3 View Post
    The only time the pilot bearing actually does work is when the engine is running, the transmission is in gear and the clutch pedal is depressed (clutch disengaged). This means the transmission input shaft is stationary and the pilot is now working between the input shaft and the crankshaft/flywheel. If the engine is running, clutch disengaged and transmission in neutral the the bearing MAY turn just by the slipping motion of the clutch plate but no real load on the bearing. If you're traveling down the road in gear then the bearing is NOT turning (no load ). You never mentioned testing in or out of gear but it sounds more like a worn input shaft bearing.
    Uhmm I think you just contradicted yourself, first you said that the pilot is working when the transmission is in gear with clutch depressed, then you say when I drive down the road the pilot is not spinning? but the two situations are one and the same no?

To be clear, the noise occurs as soon as I let the foot of the clutch pedal, doesn't matter if I am in neutral or in gear and driving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 6inarow View Post
    My roommate been driving it like that for a while now. Probably 5 months. He has a "loud stereo in his bmw"(whoopty f-ing doo), so he really doesn't hear it. He's not a bmw enthusiast, just likes to own one.

Lol thats also a solution, Ill just buy a better stereo instead of a pilot.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    No contradiction.

Any time the clutch is engaged (pedal up, no feet) the crankshaft, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and input shaft are spinning at engine RPM and the pilot bearing is not in play (other than just a locator) and there is no movement at the pilot bearing. The pilot bearing only works when the engine is running, the clutch is disengaged and the transmission is in gear, moving or not.
    See ya later,

tony

My Cars
    bmw e36 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm3 View Post
    No contradiction.

Any time the clutch is engaged (pedal up, no feet) the crankshaft, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and input shaft are spinning at engine RPM and the pilot bearing is not in play (other than just a locator) and there is no movement at the pilot bearing. The pilot bearing only works when the engine is running, the clutch is disengaged and the transmission is in gear, moving or not.
    Ooh alright sorry I missunderstood you there, I get confused with the words engaged disengaged bla bla.
    Sooo it is the input shaft bearing then, any way of fixing it or at least stoping it from whining? Or should I consider buying a new transmission?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    A very simple decison: if the part in question is available as single part with a part number, you can order it and replace it, not a complete transmission, use your VIN and find the p/n http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
    Get a Bentley Repair Manual for the E36, if you want to DIY.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by Denjeesi View Post
    Ooh alright sorry I missunderstood you there, I get confused with the words engaged disengaged bla bla.
    Sooo it is the input shaft bearing then, any way of fixing it or at least stoping it from whining? Or should I consider buying a new transmission?
    This is not a 100% diagnosis, only a more likely scenario assuming there's no additional problems. Someone with driveline and transmission experience needs to listen to the noises while actually in the car.
    I'd be the first to say that RDP (Remote Diagnostical Procedure) doesn't always work.
    See ya later,

tony