Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: BMW CCA IP Build

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    I am not going to detail anymore wiring here, you'll find out why in the spring, hopefully. That said, here are some pictures are some of the final panel and connector locations. The rats nest you see under the panel is just ABS wiring that I ran out of time and didn't want to properly trim, it will be addressed in the future. The rest of the harness is actually wrapped up quite nicely, you can see it in some other pictures below.

First start of the car was a little rough... my "tuner" bricked my first ECU then went MIA on me. I had to spam his phone number to get him to resolve the issue. It cost me my first two events with the car (back in June). Thankfully my buddy let me use his car for one event and I was able to get a credit for the other. Here is the first start, bonus points if someone can point out why the car sounds like shit... not my finest moment .

For the interior panel, I picked up an AJ hartman panel for the gauges and then a switch panel from GG///M3. Happy with how it came out. Here also are a bunch of shots of the finished interior. For the window net I used a wire and some crimps to secure the bottom part of the net.

During practice panic exits, I broke the mounting eye-bolt i had initially use. I am glad this happened now and not during an actual emergency. I think i just over torqued it. Won't matter now, that d-ring is rated to 1500 lbs.

With all this done, it was finally time to wash her! Paint is still nice and shiny!

Before my actual first event, I took it down to my buddy to get it aligned and corner balanced. I am STOKED at the weight. Car will have zero issue making the 2950 race weight

The last thing that I need to add to the car was its name. When we first started dating, my fiance, jokingly (half-jokingly?) referred to my car as "the other women in the relationship" when we got serious it morphed into "Alicia, that money grabbing whore". Thought it was only appropriate to add it as a tramp stamp.

And with that, it was finally time to shake her down. This happened this past monday at NJMP. She ran absolutely flawlessly, not a single issue. It could not have gone better.

Here is a short video of my buddy showing me around the track. Just a simple recon lap.

There is a winter list of items to address but most of them are nice to have vs needed; diff cooler, cool suit etc etc. Will also be taking off the headers and intake manifold as I will be racing IS next year and not IP. Hope to put them back on in 2022. Likely to be a long period of silence until the next update but if anyone has question, don't hesitate to ask.

My Cars
    1971 2002
    Here is the first start, bonus points if someone can point out why the car sounds like shit... not my finest moment .

[video=youtube;bMaS-Fzh_GM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMaS-Fzh_GM[/video

I’ll hazard 2 guesses. plugged intake or wrong firing order. Looked at the vid a couple of times and noting else jumps at me.

take your time with the answer. A good learning moment for us living vicariously through your wallet. Staying tuned in case there are more answers.

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    Looking good. As for the first start, that's a huge milestone for sure. No idea on what the issue is, sounds like the target idle is set really low, air flow/leak...who knows, I can't tell. BUT, at least it started.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Coming together nicely!!
    Not showing further wiring because......(Wild guess) AiM PDM perhaps?

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pondhopper View Post
    I’ll hazard 2 guesses. plugged intake or wrong firing order. Looked at the vid a couple of times and noting else jumps at me.

take your time with the answer. A good learning moment for us living vicariously through your wallet. Staying tuned in case there are more answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt330LS View Post
    Looking good. As for the first start, that's a huge milestone for sure. No idea on what the issue is, sounds like the target idle is set really low, air flow/leak...who knows, I can't tell. BUT, at least it started.
    If you guys look at the MAF when I walk around to the front of the car, you'll notice it's still covered with painters tape. Again not my finest moment but glad it was just that and not a result of sitting for two years

Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Coming together nicely!!
    Not showing further wiring because......(Wild guess) AiM PDM perhaps?
    Thank you! I wish but unlikely for this car.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Your center vent gauge panel... I see that you've basically gutted the dash itself, and you're not using the passenger side support to help hold it up. Does the dash seem flimsy with the gauges installed? Hard Motorsports implies that the dash will sag but it may just be because there vent panel is friction fit to the hole instead of using mounting brackets.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 View Post
    Your center vent gauge panel... I see that you've basically gutted the dash itself, and you're not using the passenger side support to help hold it up. Does the dash seem flimsy with the gauges installed? Hard Motorsports implies that the dash will sag but it may just be because there vent panel is friction fit to the hole instead of using mounting brackets.
    No, I just ran outside to looked at it again and I would say it's pretty solid still. If you grab and shake the dash, it will move a little as it is only attached with the three vent hole screws near the windshield but I am not worried about it sagging or moving around. I will say that it is a tight fit between the a pillar bars and the dash bar so maybe that helps to support it but overall, no concerns on my end.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    What kind of senders are these? They're so small and compact compared to my huge Autometer ones.

[QUOTE=BlackHawkRacing;30508990]

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    The one with the pigtail is oil temp, other is the OEM oil pressure, the nipple connects to a line that runs to the more typical VDO oil pressure sender.
    Last edited by BlackHawkRacing; 02-15-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345