Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BMW CCA IP Build

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
    Text me, lost your number. Found something you’ll enjoy.
    Text sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Glass is out!

Also, have been able to confirm that all of the intended electronics work!

Next stop, cage builder, followed by paint.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Sweet

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Biggest mechanical update to date, the rear subframe is out. Will be dismantling it over the next few days, replacing the subframe bushings with solids, adding new BW LCA, and refreshing the bushings everywhere else. Will also be getting a few items powder coated.

Took some time to get the front window and mechanisms out. Will gut the interior skin after I get around to purchasing some new tools.

Interior as it currently stands. Still need to remove all of the tar but it will get done sooner than later... you'll notice the wiring harness is actually gone.

I mentioned it previously but I was NOT happy with the end result of the wiring. I've fully removed it from the car and will build a new one from scratch after I get it back from the cage builder.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Sweet progress

― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Good work!!

I'll be interested in what you do with the wiring.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Thanks guys.

I will cover off the wiring in a separate thread once it's complete; I don't expect to dive into that until January/February.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I have those windows, and other panels

― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 M3
    On the topic of wiring, I saw a pic of an E36 with the engine wiring harness moved/re-wired. I'm mystified as to the advantage of doing that, unless an aftermarket engine management system is installed?

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    On the topic of wiring, I saw a pic of an E36 with the engine wiring harness moved/re-wired. I'm mystified as to the advantage of doing that, unless an aftermarket engine management system is installed?
    As you alluded to, the only modified engine harness' I have seen are guys using motech or similar.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    It's been a while since I've provided an update and there is a good reason for that. I've been working on the car at, to me, a breakneck pace in order to get it ready for the cage builder, hint-hint. Now that I have four to six weeks of downtime, it's finally time to catch up on everything I've neglected, this thread included. Documentation from my last post is not nearly as thorough as I wanted it to be but here we go.

You saw that I had decided to drop the rear end in the last post. I really should have taken it apart piece by piece while it was on the car because that thing is damn heavy. You live and learn, which really should be the theme saying as of this whole project. I did thankfully finally find a good use for my crawler.

Got everything taken apart and also dropped the fuel tank. I found great use out of lunch-sized bags to hold the hardware.

Scared the shit out myself while taking everything apart.

Thankfully it just pops right back in like a dislocated shoulder.

I pressed out every bushing and replaced each with either a new one or solids/sphericals where allowed. Unfortunately, the first thing I tried to press out, ever not just on the car, was a royal fuck-up which resulted in this

Instead of getting it repaired, I just ordered new ones through work. I will get it repaired in the future and use these as spares. Most of the other items went in without much issue. I had a friend press in my subframe solids and the upper and lower trailer arm ball joints were very easy. TBH, most of the joints did not look that bad and could have been run longer, but with the FCP lifetime warranty, I had to take advantage and freshen it all up. Unfortunately, no pics of the subframe or new control arms.

The RTAB bushing, however, was a different story. I am running the Bimmerworld RTABearing kit, this is a sealed ball-joint inside of a housing. To start off, the screws that hold the cover on the housing were stripped so I started by extracting them. Once I finally got them out, I pressed out the old ball joints. I thought they were just copies of the upper and lower trailing arm ball joints, so I ordered two extra and went to install them. This turned out to be a much bigger hassle than the other ones. I could not get these damn things to go in straight for the life of me. Every time I thought they were oriented correctly, I started to press them in and I would notice it was not at all straight. I finally was able to get them in but not before I added some highly accurate markings so I could monitor them going in.

Then I went to install the RTAB bracket and realized that the ball joints I just installed were not actually the same size as the ones I pulled out.

The BW kit actually runs a ball joint from the E90. This all came to a head the week the car was supposed to go to the cage builder. Thankfully, the guys at BW kick-ass and shipped me out a pair of the correct bushing right away. Here is how it's supposed to look (first two pictures) vs what it looks like if you put in the E36 joints (third pic).

With all of the suspension bushings done, I turned my attention to the fuel system. I will provide an update on that tomorrow.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Awesome work Scott.

― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I had the same panic moment with a differential.
    Just finished up a bushing refresh on a friends E46, so I feel your pain.
    Good info on the E90 balljoint in the BW RTABs, that's one of my winter todo's.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    I had the same panic moment with a differential.
    Just finished up a bushing refresh on a friends E46, so I feel your pain.
    Good info on the E90 balljoint in the BW RTABs, that's one of my winter todo's.
    Here is a pic of the ball joint as it arrived from BW. Call them to order vs the online option. I assume they are different brand bearings, but the one online is $80 vs they changed me $35 over the phone.

So like any backyard mechanic, I've mostly been running on beer and pizza during this process. Having lived in NYC for the last 10 years up until this past July, the pizza is NJ is nothing to write home about. The beer, however, there is a lot of great beer. One of my new favorite breweries happens to be just down the street from me. I've consumed a lot of this stuff over the past several weeks.

Properly lubricated, I turned my attention to the fuel system. I started by dropping the tank and trying to figure out how all the stock lines were routed. While I was planning what to delete, I addressed the rust on the crimps of the fuels lines; ordered new ones and replaced. Don't have any pictures of the new ones.

My overall goal was remove the EVAP, expansion tank and any unneeded lines. To do so I followed post 39 in the following thread. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...n-Rookie/page2

Thread itself is a good read but I'll save you the click, post is below. If you can't see the images, google Photobucket plugin fix and find an extension that will fix it. IDK what I use at home but here is one for Chrome:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    Second week of April 09:

I go to VIR to help crew for Bill Heumann. Meet a lot of great people. And learn a lot too. I pay especial attention to the IP and JP cars. "So much to do and learn", I say to my self. But everybody is so helpful answering my never-ending questions. Which make things so much easier and interesting.

One of them, is Jason Marks, from Bimmerworld, who reviews my fuel system diagram and helps me a great deal by marking off the items not needed in a race car.

As soon as I get back home, I go work on the drawing board:

Many, many thanks Jason.

I try to make sure that eliminating the carbon canister and the expansion tank is legal in Prepared class, but the rules aren't clear about this. So I submit a rule-clarification request.
    Armed with a plan, I started to hack away at the unneeded items. The only items that remain are the feed, return, fill hose and vent line. To plug the holes in the fuel tank, the ones that led to the expansion tanks and EVAP system, I used a gas safe plastic tank repair kit I found at Autozone. The hole I plugged was maybe 1/16, 1/8 diameter max. Seemed to work well and I am happy with it; but we will see when I finally get the car running again.

I then started on the process of redoing the vent lines. If you look at the below pictures, on the top right of the fuel tank is the stock fuel vent line. This runs to the top of the fuel filler hose and connects pretty much at the fill cap.

I had hacked it off when I was removing the tank because I couldn't get it off by hand. To reconnect, I order from new fuel hose from Pegasus and found a barbed connector to join the two. Naturally I cut the new fuel hose too short and had to reinstall it thought the tiniest of spaces. Here is a picture of the extended hose

After I ran the new line though the chassis cavity where the stock line ran, I reinstalled the tank. This was a giant pain in the ass to do alone. The issue was that I would get one side in a bit, stabilize with a jack or similar, and then it would fall out again when I moved the other side. I finally got it to a point where I could loosely install the holding scraps, but I was tempted to light everything on fire afterwards. Cooled down for a bit and went about reconnecting all the lines.

The final item to address was the final vent line. In the second picture of Naka's post, you'll see a line in the top left that loops out. Formally, this line ran from the expansion tank to the fuel tank vent tube. It connects to the vent tube close to where the vent tube terminates near the fuel filler cap. This line was repurposed to serves as my external vent to relieve any excess pressure from the tank. With what was left of the line, I added a barbed connected and ran a bit of fuel hose to a discriminator valve; I still need to find a final mounting point for this and I should probably install a proper roll over value as well. I than ran several feet of hose, looped several times, from the discriminator and terminated it in the rear bumper. To cap it off, I also put a crankcase breather filter on the end of the hose. With that, the fuel system is finished and I could finally install all of the suspension components.

My buddy was free one night and graciously helped me to reinstall the subframe and diff. I then reinstalled the control arms, shocks, springs, axels, and trailing arms.

Reconnected the brake lines, installed the calipers, and bleed the system. Buttoned up a few other items and then, FINALLY, we had a roller! I cannot tell you how happy I was to actually get this thing on the ground.

This happened on Thursday night. On Saturday, by buddy dropped off his trailer and we loaded it up. We had intended to install the winch and winch platform he had just purchased, but Trailex sent him the incorrect platform. In the end we pushed it on the trailer, which was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. As if that wasn't enough, we then realized the wiring harness wasn't long enough for the truck. So off ran to Autozone to build a last second harness.

Sunday morning it was off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of steel.

Bill Doyle of Cage This Roll Cages will be handling the cage. Design is essentially a carbon copy of BimmerWorld's SpecE46 cage. He also will be painting the interior, and welding in both RTAB reinforcement and the factory sunroof panel. Hope to pick her up just before Christmas.

After that, its full bore back to getting her ready for 2020.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, one final thing I forgot to mention. While I had downtime throughout this process, I went about gutting the doors. I mostly regret this. It was incredibly time consuming and saved me maybe 5 lbs a door. The effort/time ratio was greatly tilted towards the effort. The goal of the car is to get it as light as possible since I am already large, but I really did not enjoy this part.

With the car out of the garage, I was able to clean up and organize everything. I took all the wiring and scrap metal, along with the muffler I was trying to sell, to the scrap yard. If anyone cares to guess what the weight of the wiring i pulled from the car was, here is a picture of the wiring piled up. Answer is in the second picture.

Not nearly as much as I thought it was going to be but still happy to have it out of the car.
    Last edited by BlackHawkRacing; 11-13-2019 at 11:17 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Sub’d

My Cars
    skateboard
    Awesome progress Scott

― George Orwell

My Cars
    04 Porsche 911 C4S
    Oh i am sub'd.... i am currently sitting in my garage next to my newly purchased e36. All its interior is removed except the hvac box which will be handled tomorrow. I was planning to start the wiring tomorrow but i am curious to know which way you are headed. I plan to run the stock motor for now and then do a LS1/T56 swap this time next year.....i cant see messing with the engine harness so i am curious to know what you are doing now.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbren1979 View Post
    Oh i am sub'd.... i am currently sitting in my garage next to my newly purchased e36. All its interior is removed except the hvac box which will be handled tomorrow. I was planning to start the wiring tomorrow but i am curious to know which way you are headed. I plan to run the stock motor for now and then do a LS1/T56 swap this time next year.....i cant see messing with the engine harness so i am curious to know what you are doing now.
    I am in the process a building a totally custom one-off harness for the chassis. I got too fed up with the thinning process and am not happy with the harness as it stands. Will post a full harness build thread when I am done but I won't have time for that until March/April. Happy to help if you have any questions.

Expensive week for me. Picked up a 2010 X5 35d on Monday and a Trailex 7541 today. Was not intending to get either right now but both were priced to good to pass on. Initial tow with the X5 was excellent. I look forward to really testing it out when I pick up the car.

Also picked up a Hotchkiss front sway bar from buddy. This thing is massive. Very happy about being able to save a few bucks on this one.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Nice man

― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Nice setup!

And yea, full custom harness, if you have a good selection of wires, labels, connectors, wire looms, etc, IS the way to go.

My Cars
    04 Porsche 911 C4S
    I am in the process a building a totally custom one-off harness for the chassis. I got too fed up with the thinning process and am not happy with the harness as it stands. Will post a full harness build thread when I am done but I won't have time for that until March/April. Happy to help if you have any questions.
    I did the same. Started tearing the harness apart. Then took the entire harness out of the car. Then got fed up and tossed it all in the trash. Gonna pull the motor this weekend and hop to have mine painted by mid feb.

Nice 996 in the background too. I got a 996 C4S sitting next to my new E36...

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    I did the same. Started tearing the harness apart. Then took the entire harness out of the car. Then got fed up and tossed it all in the trash. Gonna pull the motor this weekend and hop to have mine painted by mid feb.
    Took the proper route! How the build of the new harness going?

Nice 996 in the background too. I got a 996 C4S sitting next to my new E36...
    Not mine unfortunately, I bought the trailer from fellow CCA racer who runs a Porsche shop. One day though. Need to get through my wedding first.

My Cars
    04 Porsche 911 C4S
    Took the proper route! How the build of the new harness going?

Not mine unfortunately, I bought the trailer from fellow CCA racer who runs a Porsche shop. One day though. Need to get through my wedding first.
    Put the wiring on the back burner. Talked to a bunch of the porsche guys i hang with and they helped me go big or go home with the build. I run my porsche at the track now. But its a weekend play toy that quickly getting to close to a dedicated track car. The guys suggested i get a track only car and leave the porsche alone since its so clean. Was going to buy a cheap 996 but then i realized E36 stuff is a 1/4 the price so i bought one. The initial plan was to go head on with safety, brakes, suspension step by step and leave the engine and trans swap till later. More or less to keep the car trackable and upgrade between events. Then i realized the stock motor is boring and the auto trans suxs. So changed plans and i am 100% stripping the car and going full build. Plan to do it all myself so it will take time. Guess the porsche will still be the track car for this year until the E36 is ready.

Since the car will be full custom, i was thinking of a painless wiring kit for thr lighting and ignition stuff and the LS1/T56 will either be run with the donor car engine harness and pcm or standalone unit. Thats the plan today.....who knows what next week will see.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Got some proof of life from the cage builder the other day! Looking pretty good.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Car is back from the roll cage builder! I'll cut straight to the cage porn:

X5 did one hell of a job too! Towed like a champ. Slight squat in the rear but I don't think its going to improve much as the rear tires of the car are already less than a foot from the end of the trailer. Also fully enjoyed getting 18 MPG fully loaded; WAY better than the 8mpg I got with the 2500 gas truck I rented to bring it up to the builder.

Absolutely thrilled how well everything fits in the garage. It's close, but there is still a good amount of room to move around.

Here is my to-do list. It's a lot. The goal is to get it done in the next 45 days, shake the car down at NJMP at least once and then head down to VIR.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast