Thread: Blower Motor Issues

My Cars
    1990 750il

Blower Motor Issues

The blower motor on my e23 stopped working today. Shape it was in before it stopped working, the microswitch has recently been replaced, all the buttons/lights work, solenoids work, heat and AC all worked great in all modes. I've checked the fuses and K5 relay, everything lights up, when I turn the fan wheel from off to on, I can hear the solenoids opening up things, but no fan. If I turn the fan speed wheel all the way to high, and then back it off a bit, I can hear a faint click sound, but still no fan motor. I only had limited time before dark to mess with it today, going to dive in tomorrow, but are there any other things I should check before I start to focus on the blower motor or resistor?

Thanks, Andy

My Cars
    1990 750il
    Seems like it's the motor, got to it today, if I tap it with a screw driver, it runs fine but once you shut it off after a few minutes, it needs a tap to start it again. I took it out and am going to clean it up and see what I find. Anyone have any luck with cleaning/repairing the actual motor, or am I better off to drop the $ on a new unit? New ones are all over $300 that I have found for part #64111361839. It's not too difficult to get out, takes about 10 minutes, not having put it back in yet it looks like it could be a PITA especially in the cold with old plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Passta View Post
    The blower motor on my e23 stopped working today. Shape it was in before it stopped working, the microswitch has recently been replaced, all the buttons/lights work, solenoids work, heat and AC all worked great in all modes. I've checked the fuses and K5 relay, everything lights up, when I turn the fan wheel from off to on, I can hear the solenoids opening up things, but no fan. If I turn the fan speed wheel all the way to high, and then back it off a bit, I can hear a faint click sound, but still no fan motor. I only had limited time before dark to mess with it today, going to dive in tomorrow, but are there any other things I should check before I start to focus on the blower motor or resistor?

Thanks, Andy

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    On another board, there's a replacement motor which some have used- just carefully swap your cages: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FSS-35486/

Discussion: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/449611/

I did not try it, I used another used one.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Do you have an updated link for that Summit Racing unit? It takes me to some goofy page.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fss-35486

You can search the net for Four Seasons or Fasco. Model 35486.

My Cars
    1990 750il
    So I took the blower motor out, cleaned it up with electric contact cleaner, blew all the crud out of it, and zoom oiled it, tested it on my workbench, it seemed to spin fine. Put it back in car, it worked briefly, but now is doing the same thing where it is oscillating, doesn't run, or runs after a bump in the road or if I lightly bang on the hood/grilles with my fist. To me this seems to be something with the motor itself. If I open it back up so I can see the motor while its powered, and tap it, it speeds up or slows down. I disconnected the relay's and it still did the same thing ran at full speed (my understanding of a failed relay it bypasses, and defaults to high speed) but would slow down, tap it, speed up or stop, that leads me to believe the relay's are good but the motor is bad. I ordered a new motor with cages, my cages one was cracked and I didn't want to re-use them on a new motor, and will put it in this week.

Is my logic sound on my issue being related to the motor?

I don't have any knowledge on what to test on the actual relays to see if they are bad/good, does anyone know the specs and pins to check?

I will say getting the motor in and out is much easier than I thought it was going to be, in/out less than 2 hours. I don't have a garage and its freezing or below where I live right now, so I put my oven on like 160 degrees and put the plastic parts in there to warm them up to be more flexible and less brittle, that definitely helped getting them back in without 30+ year old plastic crumbling.

My Cars
    1985 7351, 2009 328i
    I've changed mine twice. A bit more than 10 minutes I found and yes a bit of a PITA. I was lucky and found a new one on EBAy for $90. Good luck.

My Cars
    1985 BMW e23 735i
    Hi, same thing happened to me this summer, I followed the advise about the Summit racing unit https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...5486/overview/

It works great, just a bit more noise since it's not balanced like OEM unit. I had to shim the blower with some rubber strips bought at the autoparts store to make it fit snug.

Good luck!

My Cars
    1986 BMW 735i
    Need some help with blower motor as well.

The blower motor works from Time to Time. It starts, works for 10 min or so and stops. The motor it-s self is OK, works but something is happening that stops it. Can you please help me with an advice?

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    Resistors are obvious if it runs at full speed and nothing else. Do anyway as cheap as can be...

A W124 MB blower motor fits well. One just needs to find cages and shim the motor cage a hair with something like an old rad hose so the OD is the same. Also most MB vac pods work and the W124 one works for rear space if one cares.

I just plug it and permanently keep the rear volume open. Just like the dual tit cowl pod. Less is more.