Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Steven's 733i Turbo build thread

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Steve H.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    I have been having problems with remanufactured AL129X high amp Saab alternators not lasting, so I got irritated and decided to put a new, modern GM alternator on. I looked at photos and dimensions and decided to try a 2008-2013 GMC/Chevy 1500 pickup truck 160 amp alternator. I found a Powermaster steel pulley for a 1/2" belt since this alternator comes with a serpentine pulley on it. Mocking it up on the engine, it looks like it's going to work fine. The GM alternator mount ears are 1/4" narrower than the BMW stock alternator, which is actually helpful because it will let me shim to fine tune belt alignment. This alternator is a 2 wire, internally regulated unit. I am waiting on a pigtail to wire it up and I'll report back how it works.

As-purchased

With Powermaster #2551133 1/2" pulley

Mocked up with stock belt

Steve H.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Very cool, I think I still have the 105A off my '01 Z71 around...swapped it for a 145A long ago.

Please keep us posted on belt issues. Both of mine rock a 90A currently, not great but beats 80A...plus solid mounts.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    I think my stereo would love to have a 160A alternator driving it.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    The 160A GM alternator fits and works awesome. It was almost a bolt-in. The only thing I had to change was to replace the 2-wire regulator that came on it, which needs an external PWM signal, with a 4-wire regulator from a GM application that was internally-regulated to 14.6V. I bought a regulator for a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2 application, D3579 part #, for $14 (source: DTS store). This regulator fits the 160A alternator with minor soldering and trimming of the rear plastic cover. I also bought a 4 wire GM alternator pigtail. You only need to connect to one wire of the alternator and it connects to the same field excite/dash charge warning light wire as the factory alternator.

As far as mounting, I had to shim the lower mount with 3 washers (2 in the front, one in the back), the belt lined up perfectly using the stock 13x1055 belt, and I had to grind slightly on the upper adjuster mount to get it to clear the alternator's larger case due to its internal fan. I am getting 14.6V at idle now, which is so much better than I am used to with this car.

Photos:

The alternator came equipped with a 2 wire regulator that needs a PWM signal. I replaced it with a 4-wire internally-regulated unit

The regulator attaches to the alternator with 3 e torx screws and one solder joint. Removing the regulator:

New (internal 14.6) regulator in place

I had to trim the rear dust cover to fit the wider electrical connector of the new regulator

Here's how much I also ground off the stock upper mount to clear the GM alternator case

Belt alignment with a new stock belt

Battery voltage at IDLE

Steve H.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Additionally: Here is a short video clip where I added a whistle to my blowoff valve goofing around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9-...GFOQSMR4AaABAg
    Steve H.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Gixxerboy asked way back in February what my MAT's looked like under boost. I now have an answer. Not Great. I am running 17 psi using an electronic boost controller and the car feels great, but the MAT's for a sample 4 second WOT pull in 3rd went from 138-154. I think part of my problem is the TINY intercooler radiator that I used in the stock 745 location and the rest of my problem is a combination of poor air filter location (engine bay near radiator) and inefficient 1980's Cartech intercooler. The intercooler radiator that I used is approx 7"x10"x2" core, plate fin style, with an electric fan on it. GT500 3/4" style bosch coolant pump.

I just ordered one of these Chinese 21x6.5x2.25" 3 row intercooler radiators.

I think, from spending about 2 minutes looking under the front bumper, that can be installed in the grilles at the bottom of the euro front bumper without cutting anything and without interfering with the auxiliary fan or AC condenser. If it fits, I will plumb this in series w/ the existing intercooler radiator and run both.

The M30B35 w/ 17 psi finally feels like it has some semblance of power though. I changed from a 13 psi down to a 9 psi wastegate spring the other day so that my minimum boost pressure was lower and I had more control using the electronic boost controller. The first time I took the car out on the new wastegate spring and it only made 9-10 psi I couldn't believe how slow it felt compared to what I've gotten used to.

I am still running my Iridium plugs at 0.031" gap and have no issues blowing the spark out. I've had this up to 18-19 psi by accident a few times.
    Last edited by BONDOSPECIAL; 08-24-2022 at 07:28 PM.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    98 318ti, 80 733, 76 '02
    Great stuff here Steve. We're still following your return... and a bit envious.

My Cars
    1986 M535 turbo
    DId use loctite on them ? Special bolts ?

Quote Originally Posted by BONDOSPECIAL View Post
    The split collars I used for rocker locks were some generic industrial parts on Ebay sold for 5/8" SAE shaft diameter. Not sold specifically for engines.

My Cars
    00 MRoadster '83 745i,
    I am impressed with your build. Have seen several things I would like to have done on mine. If you reach your HP goals, you may have issues with drive shafts and CV joints. The 745 chassis just can't handle too much torque. I ran 16psi boost for a while; twisted a drive shaft, destroyed Giubos routinely, and cratered a few CV joints. Dialed back to 11 psi now; still more fun to drive the a stocker (especially with a manual trans conversion), but sane enough to not break driveline parts.

I may have missed it, but to you have plans for that M106 block? I have a used set of factory oversize pistons. Don't remember if they are the first or second OS. Would probably work fine with an over bore. The damage doesn't look too deep. It would be nice to start with an engine block that doesn't need converted to run the piston coolers.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    The end of this thread is, I'm going to be parting this car out. I just found out that the right-side rocker rust I was aware this car had is WAY worse than I expected, and I don't have the time or fabrication skills or interest in trying to fix it. I just peeled the passenger's carpet back to start taking photos for a friend of a friend who is a fabricator to look at and was shocked to see the inner rocker is rusted through from the interior from the toe pan all the way to the back of the front seat.

Parts I definitely will be selling once I get the partout underway:

-PENDING- Front strut brace (I think it's a Hartge, no badge on it though. Polished.) $275 + shipping

-PENDING- Aluminum 3 row exact fit custom radiator with welded tanks. This is a drop in for e23's, it fits stock radiator mounts and hoses. Includes fluid cooler for automatic transmission.

-PENDING- Rear euro bumper assembly (includes side molding strips, lower valence and mounting hardware). Also includes new OEM tow hook assembly. $400

-PENDING- Dinan lowering springs

-PENDING- Bilstein B6 HD front struts, Bilstein B8 sport rears with adjustable spring perches (both less than 1,200 miles on them)

-PENDING- Custom made 2 piece drive shaft with greasable, replaceable U-joints, from Greg's in Virginia. Stock size/length for an e23 with a 265/6 manual transmission

-PENDING - 745i steering gear. Firm feel torsion spring. All seals replaced and worm & sector preloads adjusted by Roger Schulte at Jorgen Automotive a few years ago. Includes power steering pump (rebuilt) and recently replaced power steering hoses.

-PENDING- NICE water buffalo seats from a 1985 745i. Conditioned, always stored indoors, soft and supple and not all bleached out. Driver's seat base has some perforated holes that tore between adjacent holes. Driver's seat outer bolster has some wear on the piping. Includes black seat belts, 4 door map pockets (no door cards) and interior pillar trim $750

Front euro grille and headlight set. No cloudy/hazy lenses. $450

Front euro bumper assembly - includes front bumper lower spoiler, filler pieces, chrome and rubber pieces and mounts - everything you see coming off the car associated w/ the front bumper assy. Also includes new in bag OEM euro bumper bolt and fastener kit in addition to hardware coming off the car. Does not include Hungarian vintage front license plate, my friend wants that back. $500

3" tig welded and back purged exhaust system. Polished, mandrel bent stainless, turbo down pipe for 3" 4 bolt flange, with slip joint for expansion. 3" metal matrix catalytic converter, Vibrant resonator, dynomax muffler.

REALLY nice sport steering wheel. From 1985 745i. Original leather, minimal wear. No rub through, no tears. $250+shipping

All brake hydraulics work and don't leak. Calipers were recently replaced remans.

I have a new windshield that I bought from a glass wholesaler to keep as a spare (FYG - aftermarket but FYG in my experience has the best optics and fit of aftermarket glass) $350

I am going to try to save the front and rear glass and gaskets that are on the car. Will be available if they come out instact.

Here are some photos I just took:

Underbody, exhaust:

Engine bay:

Exterior

Interior:

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the engine and transmission, megasquirt and turbo parts or sell them. I have so much time and money into the engine build and wiring harness and tuning and I'm not sure I could get enough without parting the engine and turbo stuff out, which I'm hesistant to do. The car runs so well, i have it running around 16 psi boost with the electronic boost controller. Engine has around 1,200 miles since building it @ fresh overbore, torque plate diamond honed at VAC motorsports, ARP head studs, MLS head gasket, JE forged pistons for 9:1 actual compression ratio, coated bearings, Total Seal rings, line honed main bearing bores, ported M30B35 heads w/ 3 angle valve job and double valve springs from Ireland, new B35 cam. The hybrid turbo on the car right now is a rebuilt TCD "stage 2" journal bearing hybrid that I was getting ready to replace with a new custom spec'd Comp, a CT3693S-6265 journal bearing turbo with anti surge housing and 0.82 A/R T4 on center housing (to fit the TCD log manifold on the car). The Comp turbo is still new in the box.
    Last edited by BONDOSPECIAL; 03-06-2024 at 06:05 PM.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    I'd like the power steering pump, strut bar, and 265 transmission

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    I'm interested in the 745i steering box

My Cars
    1986 M535 turbo
    You got PM , im interested in the complete interior.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Bigperm, I can't reply to any more of your messages - your inbox is full. Please clear your box or message me an email address so I can talk with you further about parts.

Here is a cold start video I made yesterday. It was 35 degrees out and the car has been sitting for a while and the battery could have used a charge. Still fires right up and the idle is stable during warmup.

Steve H.

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    My inbox should be operational again. Fire away.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    I also have a new aftermarket (FYG) e23 windshield (GGN means green, with green tint band).

I will also have good used bright trim and front/rear windshield gaskets coming off the car. I am going to try to remove the existing front windshield without breaking it - it is a 1984 original glass that still has the engine breakin sticker on the top left corner.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 735i
    Just sent you a PM

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    I've been dragging my feet on getting the part-out started until the muddy ground subsided so I could get the car out of storage and make a few driving videos before I took it apart, in case anyone wants to buy the powertrain in the future.

Here is a 100 mph pull. I rolled into it in 1st gear because I was coming off a chip seal road. Boost is regulated to 16 psi in this video, I had it turned down for winter temps because my electronic boost control is open loop right now and it would be closer to 17-18 psi in cold air.

Last edited by BONDOSPECIAL; 03-15-2024 at 12:16 PM.
    Steve H.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789