Thread: Slip Ring Replacement

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3

Slip Ring Replacement

Got some weird noises coming from my steering wheel so I'm gearing up for a slip ring replacement, as well as a couple bearings that I've read about here: https://www.dvatp.com/bmw/steering_wheel_conversion and here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...nts-(Pic-Heavy)

Are there any OEM options for the slip ring? My usual go-to part websites only have Gen. BMW to the tune of $250-$320. Also I can't find the equivalent diagram on realoem for the steering column bearings that's in the DIY. There's only the M3 one here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...35&hg=32&fg=30 Are they the same part numbers? I have a '98 323is. Any recommendations on a part list or a DIY with still hosted pictures/video would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    It's most likely just the bearing behind the steering wheel. Some people don't even replace it and just spray lube into it. I replaced mine and the only tough part was that the upper shaft wasn't long enough to get some part of its thread started again (can' remember) and afterwards realized I should have just loosened the steering guibo connection to get that bit of slack that I needed.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    There's been a clicking since I bought the car a couple years ago. Lately at low speeds/at a stand-still I've been getting an ear-piercing screech, only audible within the car.

A couple bulbs just burnt out in my instrument cluster so maybe I'll order the stuff for that, pull the wheel off while I'm at it, and inspect.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    The bearing on top isn't too bad. I rebuilt my entire steering column and it was kind of obnoxious. Slow work but good DIY's on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Well just watched a DIY and the sounds I'm experiencing are identical. So I'll order the slip ring/clock spring and upper bearing now, worry about the rest later.