Thread: Need Help! - Electrical Issue with Startup

My Cars
    BMW 328is 1998

Angry Need Help! - Electrical Issue with Startup

So i have a 1998 bmw 328is and one night i was getting ready to leave and i started my car and noticed this weird noise when the motor was on, so i take the key out of the ignition and the engine is still running along with the fan still spinning and the exhaust being on aswell, so i tried to start the car again it started but again when i took the key out the engine would still run, after awhile the car would finally die probably a min or 2 after. So i tried to start the car again and this time when the key was out i stepped on the gas little bit and some smoke came out of the engine bay, and it smelled horrible. i took off the intake manifold to see if it was an electrical fire and didnt really find anything except the evap canister i believe vacuum line was completely off, and my idle control valve hose has a crack in it. Ive replace the vacuum line that goes to the evap canister and im waiting on the new hose to come in, however when i turn the key to on all my electronics are not turning on , including my radio and when i press the hazard button the hazard lights glitch out and the relay for the lights usually clicks, and if i turn the key to acc 2 the lights on the cluster work but after like 30 secs, there is this high pitched noise along with a couple relays going off.

I took out fuse number 18 which is apparently fuel pump , and when i turned the key to the on position 1 , the hazard seemed to work with this fuse out but then i put it in back and removed it and i still had the same problem.

I've tried to research and see if anybody has had this problem with the engine running after the key is out but i couldn't find anything

My Cars
    1997 328i
    So could be a few things, maybe the starter got stuck in the engaged position and fried. Also maybe your ignition switch is done (very common). Your going to have to investigate deeper to find out where the smoke came from.

- - - Updated - - -

You should probably remove the intake manifold to check all the wiring (all of it). Also open up the large black plastic box at the top of the firewall to inspect all the wiring in it (all of it). lol good luck, your gonna need it!
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".