BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: FS: 1983 BMW E21 320i Race/Track Car in Colorado

My Cars
    Always changing

FS: 1983 BMW E21 320i Race/Track Car in Colorado

For Sale: BMW 1983 320i E21 Race Car -

I'm helping a good buddy sell his race car to help jump start a side business. He is a great guy, and owns my old E21 daily. This is a super solid value:

Up for sale is my E21 race car I've owned since 2009. When I first purchased it, it was completely stock. I daily drove it for about two years, then started using it primarily for SCCA Rallycross.

The 18L motor gave up and I purchased a 1979 320/6 parts car and used all factory components to perform a M20B25 swap. Subframe, transmission and driveshaft. Transmission synchros are pretty worn, but no bearing noise is present. The complete engine was purchased from Bavarian Auto recycling with a two year warranty. I chopped a large hole in the core support to make room for the biggest V8 chevy aluminum radiator I could find on Speedway motors. Paired with a new Mishimoto cooling fan on a switch in the cab, its able to keep itself cool easily now. The only time it gets hot is with back to back drifting runs. High rpms and lack of airflow while sideways is the culprit there.

After the M20 swap the car was used sporadically for drifting, open track days, and rallycross. During a drift event in 2013, I had a rocker arm break. I had the cylinder head rebuilt and a valve job performed. Many valve guides were replaced at this time, and what a difference in power that made. With the WAR Chip and MAF conversion, this car puts some impressive power down for how small it is. I would assume its about 170hp at the wheels. The exhaust works, but I always wanted to redo it properly. Its a hodgepodge of eBay header and 2.5 tubing to a resonator and thats it. It sounds cool, but looks terrible. No O2 sensor is hooked up currently.

The car is caged, but was not built to any class specifications. After doing some private events at PPIR with the car, the track owner decided to help me out and keep me safe by offering to build me a cage for a very good price as long as I helped him do it. We repaired the rust in the corners of the driver and passenger floors, and built a pretty impressive cage out of 1.5" .120 DOM tubing. Base plates are 1/8" thick. Cage was never fully painted, so some superficial surface rust is present in a lot of places. During the cage building process, we built a one off bad ass strut brace/ front end stiffening brace out of 1/2" tubing. Its one of my favorite pieces on the whole car. No interior, dash is still stock. Tach and speedo do not work. Fuel and temp do.

The rear diff is welded, and I think its a 3.64. It pairs nicely with the 4 speed manual and tops out banging rev limiter in 4th at 119mph. Though, driving it on I25 is annoying. Its pretty high in the rpms at 75mph. I will include two sets of bottle caps with the sale.One set of Azenis with decent life left. Needs one rear axle replaced due to a worn joint.

Both front and rear bumpers are removed. I still have them if you want them. Mostly for weight savings as they are about 75 pounds each. It has a Top End Performance rear strut bar/ battery holder.

During the last time I had the engine out, I decided to redo the fuel system. I deleted the split gas tank setup and had the passenger tank that holds the fuel pump welded up as a standalone tank. Using a e30 in tank pump, I was able to delete the Fuel accumulator and old style filter setup. It holds about 7 gallons. It still needs some work on the venting system, it will back spray if you fill it too quickly. Has a sparco seat with a 5 point harness and a fire extinguisher mounted to the passenger seat rail. One small crack in the front windshield near passenger side top. Not visible from drivers seat.

I was planning on using this car for stage rally and Colorado Hill Climb Association events. Its super light with plenty of power. In order to be brought into spec for those sanctioning bodies it will need about 6 bars added to the cage. Nothing crazy. Currently not registered or insured, but it is fully street legal still. Title is clean and can be registered without issue. I'll let the photos show its condition. Its not perfect. But it still presents well.

Short list of specs:

Motor - M20B25, rebuilt head (probably less than 700 miles since), Miller MAF and WAR chip. Heavy duty cooling system.

Trans - Stock 320/6 4 speed manual and driveshaft.

Rear end - 3.64 open that has been welded. Needs a new axle at some point.

Suspension - Bavauto lowering springs, Bilsteins up front, Sachs in the rear. ST Sway bars.

Cage/interior - Six point halo style. Serious bracing in the lower portions. I love the way we built this cage. Seat mount is integrated into the cage. Needs to be cleaned and fully painted. Sparco Sprint seat and 5 point harness. M Tricolor steering wheel will be removed before sale and replaced with a stock 320is wheel.

Fuel - Deleted driver side tank, retrofitted e30 in tank pump and external fuel filter.

Body - Paint is in good shape, dents present on most panels. Though it looks really nice from a few feet.

$5500

My Cars
    Always changing
    Bump