Thread: Auto up/down windows question/problem

My Cars
    e39 528i

Auto up/down windows question/problem

1993 520i touring

I have electric front window, but there is a problem.
    Left and right work well on their own, left rising and lowering with the one touch function (the quick tap) and the right one has this function only on lowering.
    The problem is that when the left one is rising or lowering with one touch and i press the button for the right, they both stop. They both work at the same time, but only if i keep the buttons pressed.
    They will rise at the same time when i keep the key in closing position in the door lock.

In short, they both lower at the same time using quick tap, but will not rise the same way.
    Seems like a electrical gremlin. PLS help

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Pretty sure this is how the windows function? Touch anything during the auto roll up/down (another window, sunroof switch) and it cancels.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i 5 speed
    Sounds normal to me

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    e39 528i
    Oh, i did not know that. Seems wierd to function like that in relation to newer cars like e39 for example, which will close both of the windows at the same time with the quick tap.
    THX guys

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Up requires more power. the GM has an internal overload relay, so there we are limited with the GM.
    The relay switches off

when there is > 60 seconds more than 36A or
    when there is longer than 0.3 seconds between 36A and 60A (overload)
    when there is longer than 0.1 seconds >60A (short circuit)

This internal relay inside the GM is additionally to the normal 30A fuse. The electronic fuse is reversible. Inside the GM the load of the RM is measured and in case that exceeds certain values, the reversible fuse will stop the action. The switch off values are set to less than the 30A fuse. So this 30A fuse will not melt. An automatic switch on comes after 60 seconds, however, only, if the power consumer was switched off or in case there is no short circuit detected. The lock is released by switching off terminal 15. A automatic switch on is possible 6 times with terminal 15 switched on. To reduce the Amps only max. 2 window switches can be operated at the same time. In case several window switches are pushed at the same time, only the first 2 pushed ones will operate. In case already with 2
    pushed switches the limit is reached, the system will switch off one switch. In such case the front door windows have priority.
    See under 10 ZKE German language function description of the GM http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-zke.htm
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    A bit off-topic but a window function question nonetheless. One of my windows has a clicking sound when it reaches the top and bottom. The window falls short of closing by about a quarter inch. Is this a limit switch problem or a gear slipping, or something else?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I assume the window regulator mechanism has a missing tooth or some more. You have to remove the door card to check, also check the 2 white slider clips and the rail they are sliding in.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by GregT53 View Post
    A bit off-topic but a window function question nonetheless. One of my windows has a clicking sound when it reaches the top and bottom. The window falls short of closing by about a quarter inch. Is this a limit switch problem or a gear slipping, or something else?
    Is it a light relay-type click, or heavier? If you can readily hear it through the door card, I'll guess it's not the limit switch but a gear tooth or something else in the mechanism. The limit switch does not work as a true logic gate; closed, it still allows the window motor to move for up to a couple of seconds (open, there is no restriction).
    Last edited by moroza; 10-17-2018 at 11:54 PM.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    Easily heard through the door card. I'll have to remove the card and operate the window to determine what's going on. I reckon it's the motor.