Thread: 99 M3 Vert: Windows Stutter when trying to reset Top

My Cars
    99 M3 Convertible

99 M3 Vert: Windows inches down when trying to reset Top

I made a quick 30sec video because sometimes a video is the best way to communicate an issue: https://youtu.be/2UCO0z9sNzg

- Last summer the soft top started acting up so I had to pull the emergency handle and stow the top manually inside the cover and put my hardtop back on.
    - This fall I decided to take the hardtop off and look at fixing the soft top issue (usual issues where tonneau cover hits top hinge on the way down or my jerry-rigged tension straps fail).
    - Reconnected the motors and when I went to do the reset procedure the windows keep moving down at half-inch increments while the top mechanism does nothing. Even when the windows are fully lowered, you can clearly still here the window motors actuating.
    - The windows themselves work perfectly fine with the window buttons but does this when trying to reset the top.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I am fairly intimate with the top mechanism but can't figure this out. The only other piece of info would be that I changed the speakers in the door last summer but if that was going to be an issue, it would affect normal window operation anyway not just when using the convertible button.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by anik321; 10-27-2018 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Making it simpler to read.

My Cars
    99 M3 Convertible
    Nothing? I have searched and searched and the only other inching window problems i see are where people have with happening to just one window and generally replacing the motor/regulator/magnet does the trick. But in my case all the windows are doing it and it makes me think the windows themselves are fine but it's the convertible top ECU thats causing this.

Anyone? Desperate to try something at this point.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    I've seen the same thing on a customer's car I've been trying to reset. I can tell you that it's not the convertible top module as I switched out several with no luck. I have a feeling the issue may lay in the body control module but that's where i'm stuck. BMW dealer can scan the car to be more specific as to the issue but that will be $$.

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Perhaps try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    99 M3 Convertible
    Man I didn't think anyone would ever respond!

Ken, because it's winter - I keep the battery disconnected normally anyway so if that would have fixed it I would have seen it by now.

Would still appreciate any help. Thank you.

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Have you checked that the battery is fully charged?

Otherwise, I have nothing.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    99 M3 Convertible
    Man I can't believe I'm still struggling with this issue. Got a new battery and fully charged it and kept it on a floater for a few days. The windows are still doing the same thing (see video) and the top won't reset.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    I've seen the same thing on a customer's car I've been trying to reset. I can tell you that it's not the convertible top module as I switched out several with no luck. I have a feeling the issue may lay in the body control module but that's where i'm stuck. BMW dealer can scan the car to be more specific as to the issue but that will be $$.
    Did you ever figure this out for your customer?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Do your windows auto drop the 1inch or so when you open the doors?

My Cars
    1998 M3 convertible
    Wish I could help , unfortunately I'm having a similar issue but it's my top motors that are moving an inch at a time.

My Cars
    99 M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    Do your windows auto drop the 1inch or so when you open the doors?

yes it does (meaning my windows are properly synced)

My Cars
    E36 97 vert
    Check the fuse in the trunk next to the battery( for the soft top) mine was missing and I had the exact same issue with the windows stuttering and top not going down I replaced the fuse and it works perfectly again (it's a 20a fuse, right side of trunk directly next to the battery)

My Cars
    M3
    Hi, first and foremost Anik, the video is brilliant, the best way of explaining what is happening... I've watched the YouTube video and I'm having EXACTLY the same issue, I've changed my fuse... And still not getting anything, I'm beginning to think it may be where the fuse connects into?

If it is indeed that which is at fault... I've tested the motors which are okay, all of my relevant microswitches seem to have a "click" and do not show any signs of degradation, my windows work fine normally, but only judder when I start the reset process... And keep juddering like Aniks video....

Any help/ideas would be appreciated guys!

Thank you in advance!

My Cars
    M3
    Hi mate, did you ever manage to get down to the source of the problem by any chance?

Thanks in advance 👍

My Cars
    96 328i Convertible
    I just fixed this problem today. There is a red wire covered in a black sleeve next to the battery in the trunk. You need to connect it to the red terminal. Worked for me. Hope this helps!

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328iC
    I replaced my battery this Spring and the convertible top just would not work. I had the exact same issue as described by OP.

I went through these troubleshooting steps:

- Tested all fuses with Digital Multi-meter
    - Pulled the emergency motor disengage to open top
    - Engaged micro-switches manually (they are clicky and seem fine)
    - Gently walked soft top through mechanical operation, open and closed, no problems
    - With soft stop back in storage compartment, re-engaged top motors from trunk
    - Followed top reset procedure (hold top switch in "lower" position, turn on ignition to "Running" position while holding top switch for 10 seconds)

It was on the final step that I had the stuttering window issue. I was so frustrated, that I started looking up convertible top modules on Ebay... Thank goodness I found this thread.

I "re-seated" the red wire covered in a black sleeve next to the battery in the trunk... and it worked! Thank you

My Cars
    97 M3, 99 M3, 95 M3
    Thanks guys, 97 328 full auto top. my top stopped the morning during operation just before upending the tonneau. The led kept flashing. Pulled the red handle, re-engaged motors and try to sync but nothing! Just red led blinking. Checked the connections to the controller under the left rear speaker, all good. I read this thread and went to re-seat the cable on the battery and the 20A fuse right next the battery was blown. Replaced and try to re-sync and works perfectly! TIL: you can start the sync from the top fully closed position.

My Cars
    M3, 328i
    Hi , thanks for the video and post, in may case solution was lose/bad connection to red wire (this one is going directly to roof module through fuse in trunk) connected to red clamp of battery by screw . I also replaced the roof fuse next to battery and checked all central locking fuses under the hood (there are 3 ) - one was blown. Now roof resetting and working like it should.