Thread: Help/Suggestions on INPA Airbag Light Codes - 2000 Z3 2.3 Roadster

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3

Help/Suggestions on INPA Airbag Light Codes - 2000 Z3 2.3 Roadster

Hi folks!
    First, I have been reading this forum for a couple of months before finally buying my new to me 2000 Z3 2.3 Roadster at the end of August. The knowledge and advice on this forum is amazing and in fact was the determining factor in my final purchase. I went through all the Pre-Purchase advice along with all the FAQ’s in making my choice. Thanks to all of you who contributed to help me and others in our quest for buying and maintaining our Z’s!
    When I bought mine, the one thing that I was hesitant about was the fact that the airbag light was on. In fact I looked at three different Z3’s in my search and every one of them had the airbag light on! After reading thread after thread prior, it looked to me that this was a common issue with this model so though concerned, it seemed in most cases this was a fairly easy fix. The PO stated to me that the light was on when he purchased it and in the 3 years he owned the vehicle, he never worried about it (put less than 1,800 miles on..sunny weekend drive car) and said I simply needed to take it to a dealer to have it reset.
    I did negotiate the price down a bit because of the light, however the car seemed otherwise to be in very good shape, clean and no signs of rear differential issues, clear Carfax, new brakes, tires, shocks, etc etc.
    After purchase I decided to see if I could simply clear the light using advise from this forum. I purchased a B800 Airbag reset tool and read the codes. It came back with the dreaded F0 internal error code (along with some others) and none of them would clear. After reading all of 328 Power 04 diagnostics thread I figured it was the kiss of death to the module. After reading some more, I decided to take his advice and try to get the INPA pack set up. Once this was done, I ran the codes again and here is what I got from the INPA scan.

13 - Ignition Circuit ZK12 Airbag Driver Stage 2 Resitor To Large
    1 - Ignition Circuit ZK0 Airbag Driver Resitor To Large
    23 - MSRA Front Right Communication Error

So...first thing I noticed is there is NO FO Internal Error code showing in the INPA scan. Does this mean my module is still good? What do these other codes indicate could be wrong? I did try to clear them, but they come right back. Thanks again to 328 Power 04 for posting up the incredible thread on INPA and all the work that done with that.
    Any help, suggestions I could get at this point would be greatly appreciated. Just hoping to get the airbag light out and hopefully properly working SRS System.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Try clearing the errors first with INPA. Does it allow you?

The fist two errors tell you that the steering wheel airbag is disconnected.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 10-17-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39 530i Touring, Z3 3.0
    Hi, sounds like a faulty wiring for me. I would suspect the slip ring which connects to the drivers airbag. The last error doesnt say me anything.

Edit: A disconnected drivers airbag could be the issue as well, true. Too obvious for me to even mention that..
    Last edited by Sebastian46; 10-17-2018 at 11:49 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Try clearing the errors first with INPA. Does it allow you?

The fist two errors tell you that the steering wheel airbag is disconnected.
    Yes, INPA clears the codes, but they come right back when I run the errors again.
    So the stage two and ignition codes indicate the steering wheel airbag? Is the MSRA Front Right Communication code the drivers side? Could they all be related to the steering wheel bag?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    MRSA is the side impact sensor.

So there is a connection issue (or corrosion) with right side impact sensor under the seat.

If you can clear the error, that is good news for you. Fix the problems before they cause F0 (240) error.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    MRSA is the side impact sensor.

So there is a connection issue (or corrosion) with right side impact sensor under the seat.

If you can clear the error, that is good news for you. Fix the problems before they cause F0 (240) error.
    Thanks so much for the input! Much appreciated!
    Just a couple of noob questions and I promise I will leave you alone...maybe
    So the codes I have indicate a issue with the steering wheel airbag, along with the right side impact sensor, correct?
    Some times when something indicates Front right, it means right while sitting in the car, which would mean passenger side. Would front right in this case indicate drivers or passenger side? Again, sorry for the dumb questions but don’t want to start removing seats and screwing around with impact sensors for the wrong side!

My Cars
    -
    Right side always refers to the right side when sitting in it -> passenger side

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by me77 View Post
    Right side always refers to the right side when sitting in it -> passenger side
    That’s what I thought, but wanted to be sure before I started removing stuff!
    Much thanks. Guess I got me some work to do now.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    So after the long winter here, I decided it was time to find out what was causing my dreaded air bag light. As described above I have codes indicating my steering wheel air bag is disconnected and a communication problem with the passenger side crash sensor.
    I decided to tackle the drivers side first and low and behold here is what I found after pulling the steering column bottom cover.
    EB3156C3-0FB1-4D5D-8E29-E72D14C437C6.jpgSeems the airbag wires going to that plug (22) on the wheel are completely pulled out from that harness. Both yellow wires along with the gray wire are completely severed from the connector. The plastic ring that the connector is attached to also moves. Can that gray harness be removed and those wires reattached? It didn’t seem to want to pull out, but I didn’t want to force it. Is this part of the clock spring/slip ring? I am thinking that because of the movement of the plastic ring, that over time it simply pulled these wires completely out. The brown wires (horn)? are still intact. My horn does work. New slip ring time or can this be fixed?
    Also found this:
    AB4EA105-FB40-41F3-A1D6-2AC7F931F24A.jpgDoes anyone know what that white clip goes to? It is just hanging there in the wiring loom and not connected to anything?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    Well, as it turns out while waiting on a new clock spring/slip ring I did receive a replacement side air bag crash sensor that I ordered of of eBay. Took out the passenger seat (not so easy a task on its own) and removed faulty sensor and replaced. My sensor didn’t look bad at all, no water, bone dry and very little if any corrosion. Once I replaced it however, put everything back together and scanned again with INPA. I cleared the MRSA code and it went away! Hooray!! Now just need to get the new slip ring installed and hopefully clear the last two codes. Sure will be nice to get that airbag light off and finally have a functioning SRS system.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    Just wanted to finish up this thread with some good news! My dreaded air bag light is finally out! This was certainly a learning experience for me, as it seems by reading TONS of the “airbag light threads” on here, most get solved by checking wire harnessing and spraying a bit of dielectric cleaner. Not the case in my situation.
    After replacing the passenger side crash sensor and today replacing the clock spring/slip ring I ran it through INPA again and the codes cleared!!
    Many thanks to all the members here who offered suggestions and insight. Especially 328 Power 04 for the great work on INPA and his help in deciphering codes.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Great news! Will be tackling this issue on a friend's '97 tomorrow.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    BMW’s
    328 Power 04 are you able to fix that condition? I am in need.