Thread: fabric reinforced rubber coupling on steering column

My Cars
    BMWs:74 3.0 CS, 97 840Ci

fabric reinforced rubber coupling on steering column

Any of you who have replaced the fabric reinforced rubber coupling on your e31 steering column, I'm looking for procedure info. Real OEM shows the coupling is at the top of the steering column, apparently not too far below the steering wheel connection. I've removed the trim piece below the column up near the steering wheel, and could not find the coupling. Looking for info on what trim pieces need to be removed and any 'learnings' of the best way to R/R that coupling.

THANKS for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Gary
    Gary Knox

'97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '07 Mini Cooper S hatchback
    '09 Aston Martin DB9 Volante
    '13 Audi A8
    '90 MB 560 SEC and '94 Porsche 928 GTS recently departed but long enjoyed
    50 or so others over the past 70 years of driving

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    I'm interested why you would need to replace that coupling?
    First it is not fabric reinforced; it is just rubber with no reinforcement at all.
    Sorry, I do a really poor job of taking images of the work I have done on my 8, but.
    To access the steering column universal joint coupling, you will want to remove the leather trim and plastic under dash trim panel below the steering column - all the way to the fire-wall.
    The rubber universal joint is at the top of the telescoping section of the steering column.
    On my 8 the telescoping slip joint section became very stiff because the grease was dry which all but locked up the slip joint.
    The slip-joint section must function correctly to provide the steering column telescoping function.
    The symptom of the slip-joint locking up will be; as the steering column moves in (toward the dash) the steering wheel will remain stationary for a approximately 15-20mm of movement then travel down. This generates axial play in the upper steering column bearing. When the steering column is moved back out the steering wheel will remain stationary for 15-20mm then travel out and the axial play will become normal again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    BMWs:74 3.0 CS, 97 840Ci
    Thanks for the info mbig6dog.

I have more play in the steering system than I should for a '97 model year car with only 60K miles. I've had a mechanic check for play in the tie rods and associated steering parts, and they are fine. So - the play must be in the steering box or the rubber coupling. Steering box doesn't seem to be on the easily addressed issues!! So I wanted to try replacing this coupling.

Surprised the coupling isn't fabric reinforced - anyone here used the polyurethane product for this coupling? It probably transmits more 'road feel' (which may not be a negative for me), but wondering if it is more durable as well.
    Gary Knox

'97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '07 Mini Cooper S hatchback
    '09 Aston Martin DB9 Volante
    '13 Audi A8
    '90 MB 560 SEC and '94 Porsche 928 GTS recently departed but long enjoyed
    50 or so others over the past 70 years of driving

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    Have you checked that the pitman arm is tight on the steering box splined shaft, my pinch bolt was loose and there was slight play between the arm and shaft..

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I thought this flex joint was similar to the one on the drive shaf - a woven webbing is part of the core design for the sake of keeping it together during failure. Is that what you meant by fabric reinforced?
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Unfortunately, the 60k miles may seem low but the 21 years is high.
    When I purchased my 1997, in 2004, with 43k miles, all the rear wheel carrier ball joint grease boots had already failed and without replacement the ball joints would have failed.

Physical play in the steering system can often be located by apply force to the different system components; tie rods, steering link, control arm bushings and ball joints.
    Turning the steering wheel while there is weight on the tires and observing the response of each component is one approach.
    The power steering box does have torque sensing that can make it a little more difficult to diagnose even with the engine is running.
    Steering vagueness, tram-lining and wandering can be the result of physical play in the front end steering system, but it can also be caused by front end alignment issues like caster and toe, so make sure there are no out of spec front or rear suspension alignment issues.

However, with most BMWs the steering vagueness, tram-lining and wandering can be a result of warn rear suspension components and the E-31's 5-link rear suspension has 8 kinematic bushings, 10 ball joints and 4 sub-frame rubber mounts that can contribute to the steering vagueness if any of them have failed.
    One way to differentiate between front and rear suspension alignment changes due to warn bushings is by observing the steering response to wheel torque verses coasting.
    That is, if you need to correct the steering for "acceleration and braking" on a road that normally requires no steering correction when coasting (light throttle to maintain speed on level or slight down grade) you many have a rear suspension issues. If the steering correction is required during "braking only" it may be front-end related.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    These seldom fail. I've had and serviced many, many BMWs and never seen a bad one. They flex very little.
    This is a difficult item to change as well due to where it is.
    More likely your problem is elsewhere.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue